MX49 problems with IMAC and logicpro

Reaction score
I've just bought a Yahama mx 49 for my son, and he is using logic pro.
Logic recognises the keyboard, in that we can see the levels rise and fall in the relevant track on the timeline, and we can also see the chord structure being identified in the top of the screen.
But the keyboard track seems to be muted and we can't hear the various sounds of the synth through the computer speakers.
Whereas, his other instruments, such as guitar, bass and drums are audible through the speakers.
It seems as though there must be one control that has disabled the synth and we can't identify it.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks.
Malcolm

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Are you trying to record the audio output of the MX49, or are you capturing its MIDI output?

If the track is using the MX49 for MIDI Input then you won't be able to hear the MX49 on the computer. MIDI data doesn't have any sound of its own; rather it tells MIDI-capable hardware or software instruments what sounds and notes to play.

If you want to hear the actual sounds from the MX49 on the computer and record them in the DAW then you need to choose the MX49 for audio input on a track.

I'll have to look at the MX49's manual to see what options are available for audio connections. How is your son connecting it to his computer? Is he using an audio interface?

Reaction score
Dear Mr Gruff, thanks so much for your generous reply. My son managed to work out this issue on his own. He managed to find a way of capturing the audio output by changing the settings of Logic Pro. I didn't know that MIDI data didn't produce sound. That's something that wasn't contained in the manual, and displays an assumption on the part of Yamaha that everyone should know that fact. Best wishes. Malcolm

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm glad he got it figured out! Now he can have a lot of fun being creative and recording music in Logic Pro. :)

MIDI is a powerful and useful tool for creating music, but it can be very confusing to people who are just being exposed to it for the first time. It provides a way for instruments to communicate with each other, as well as with computer software. I imagine that your son will eventually want to learn about it and what sorts of possibilities it opens up.

Reaction score
Thanks. I see that other people have had this problem as well. The key here is plain language in the manuals. And not to assume that everyone understands the mechanisms. In a world of plug and play, most consumers expect their expensive kit to work right out of the box. And when it is complicated, you need a simple guide to help you. That's where Yahama has failed.

Reaction score
Hi sir
I brought my Yamaha mx49 sometimes when I connect to external amplifier sometimes the grand piano notes gets tripped
This issue once happen at that time the IC was completely damaged

This is happening again for my MX 49
Kindly suggest some things to do which I can solve for it

My name is Tatapudi Varun sunadh
I am from India
(e-mail address removed)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Power supply in India is bad on a good day.

Get a UPS or some other form of line conditioning.

Ask a Question