Awesome Synth music!

Reaction score
Short story long, as a kid born in the 50s, I felt music, well, basically sucked. i felt it lacked heart. One day the Beatles hit the world and all was better. But still, since i was taking piano lessons, something was missing. Then one day I heard Switched on Bach. Ah ha! Now there was something that I could grasp onto. Fast forward and I've got synthesizers! i love synth music and recently discovered this stuff!
It's awesome! At least in my opinion. Give it a good listen on something that will reproduce it properly, please. And listen to the whole thing. You won't be disappointed.

https://soundcloud.com/shponglemusic%2Fstrange-planet

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fun fun fun with LFO envelopes and filter sweeps.

I love Shpongle. 😍

I discovered them earlier this year. :)

I think I could duplicate most of those sounds with my existing gear, but it's an impressive mix nonetheless. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Brilliant, thanks Jeremy for posting.

One day way back in 1963 I avidly tuned in our TV to watch Doctor Who and was blown away by the theme tune.

Aussie Ron Grainer created it in what they termed the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

My music world has not been the same since.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Electronica music doesn't excite me.
In that case for $50 you can ride my sister. :D

As for shpongle, they are more than just a rack of synths.

They are the love child of Alan Parsons and Cirque De Soleil in my humble opinion.

They are intricate harmonies and wheels spinning in wheels of mesmerizing joy :D :D :D

To be honest Ray, I still can't get entirely into Tull for anything later than Thick as a Brick and Living In The Past, back when he was still playing his blues rock R&B style mixed with classical. As he progressed he posted hit after hit on the North American charts, and then the whole thing crashed and burned with Passion Play.

To me, most of his recent stuff sounds monotonous and pretentious and basically a total ripoff of traditional British and Irish sea shantys.

Now. Tell us how you REALLY FEEL? :D :D :D

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I agree with you . . The later Tull is monotonous rubbish. It changed when Anderson became big headed and sacked his whole band. A band of second rate substitutes now trying to accompany a pathetic singer which Anderson has become.

I still don't like electronica music . . LOL

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Furthermore . .
Tull has a large catalogue of albums after A Passion Play. Some of which are superb blues and prog rock.
I listened to some of Shpongke. Some nice flute but I am not converted.

Reaction score
This Shpongle stuff is excellent! Thank you for posting. They have a wonderful patience for developing themes slowly. Terrific mix on the above recording as well - tons of space filled with tons of sound. I personally won’t need Happyrat’s sister, the tunes are more than enough for my needs!

Reaction score
Brilliant, thanks Jeremy for posting.

One day way back in 1963 I avidly tuned in our TV to watch Doctor Who and was blown away by the theme tune.

Aussie Ron Grainer created it in what they termed the BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

My music world has not been the same since.

Now that brings back memories! The original arrangement was the best, IMO. Thanks for sharing it.

Reaction score
Then one day I heard Switched on Bach. Ah ha! Now there was something that I could grasp onto.
You and me both. What Walter Carlos (now Wendy Carlos) did with synthesizers back in the 60's was nothing short of amazing and pure genius. I nearly wore out my vinyl copy of S.O.B., not to mention looking in awe at the photograph of Carlos's keyboard rig: an army of Moogs, an Ampex multitrack R/R and what seemed to be miles of dangling patch cords. Wow.

Reaction score
Short story long, as a kid born in the 50s, I felt music, well, basically sucked. i felt it lacked heart. One day the Beatles hit the world and all was better. But still, since i was taking piano lessons, something was missing. Then one day I heard Switched on Bach. Ah ha! Now there was something that I could grasp onto. Fast forward and I've got synthesizers! i love synth music and recently discovered this stuff!
It's awesome! At least in my opinion. Give it a good listen on something that will reproduce it properly, please. And listen to the whole thing. You won't be disappointed.

https://soundcloud.com/shponglemusic%2Fstrange-planet
At the moment, I don't remember who told me about Switched on Bach. I had it on a cassette tape at the time I had a white 1978 Ford Thunderbird and loved driving around listening to it. Not long after I found a version of Handel's Messiah with synths being the music. Reading about how it was recorded was fascinating. Thanks for reminding me of that special music from the past!

Ask a Question