Carl Martin's TONE TWEAKER (demo/review)

Reaction score
Most of the demo is for guitar-based gear, although I do have a rock organ sampler toward the end.

Tone Tweaker is another solid hit from Carl Martin, consisting of a three-band EQ and a 12dB Boost. It’s one of those always on (or almost always on) pedals, as it allows you to shape your tone in different ways and in different instances. At the very least, with all controls flat, there is improved note definition with a hint of sparkle.

The EQ section is obvious, allowing you to push certain frequencies, or to scoop the mids, cut the bass for tighter hi-gain, cut through the mix with more treble, etc. Bass, Treble, and Midrange remain flat with controls at 12-noon, whereas dialing up or back will boost or cut respectively. The Boost is interesting as it, too, is flat at 12-noon, which means you can cut or boost the signal, and with its internal voltage booster, it can really make your other gear rip and with added headroom. This is a transparent boost, but it will push amps and other pedals into higher overdrive and distortion, but while maintaining the integrity of the original sound (its effect is very much like a low overdrive, to my ears). However, if you have a very hi-gain tone and want to back it off a bit for crunch, the Tone Tweaker can be used as such; set the pedal’s EQ for your rhythm tone and back off on the Boost knob. Then, when the Tone Tweaker is turned off, you have a lead channel with more gain and a different EQ/frequency. Having said that the Boost section on this pedal sounds pretty sweet, with a smooth intensity that pushes, yet defines the original tone.

The 3-band EQ has a very usable range, whether cutting or boosting each frequency. I play with some ‘dark’ gear, and so, I can crank the Treble all the way up and it sounds very decent (not shrill), whereas I’ve seen a few Tone Tweaker demos and pushing the treble sounded harsh. Consequently, there’s a range for everyone. Even with my ‘dark’ sounding gear, I did not find the bass flubby or too thumpy, and the midrange did not have a boxy ‘honk’ to it.

Overall, I find this pedal easier to use, and even more functional than other EQ pedals I’ve tried. The Boost feature is what doubles its value, and even touching it a bit past 12-noon makes a signal sparkle with clarity. And the 3-band EQ makes it very easy to dial into a preferred or altered tone. Its buffered bypass also serves to preserve signal strength and tone quality, so when disengaged your sound remains consistent and pure. Other features include a compact size, contained within a well-built aluminum chassis, top-mounted jacks, and it requires only 60mA power (9VDC neg center). Retail price is $159 USD.

Ask a Question