Connecting pedals to PSR SX700

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a new pedal board, as extensive research told me that it would work with my SX700, and indeed, it does. However, I wanted to configure it properly, so adhering to the manual, I went into Menu2/MIDI/Transmit/All parts, and selected Pedal 1. The pedals now don't work at all.
Looks like it might be factory reset time just so that I can get things back, but I'd like to know how I can get this working properly.
Many thanks

Reaction score
You don't want to "transmit" notes to the pedals. You want to RECEIVE note messages from the pedals. The PSR-SX700 has very flexible MIDI configuration, and a screen where you can actually "see" incoming data graphically. The only really tricky part is setting up bass and chord recognition.

I don't remember the specifics but I know I configured my PSR-S910 so that I could play normal chords in the left hand, but IF I played a pedal note, that controlled the arranger's bass pattern. As far as I'm concerned, that would be the ideal configuration. However, I was just experimenting and never followed through to learn the pedals :-(

I can't imagine that Yamaha took anything away in the evolution to the PSR-SX700 so I'm confident that it will work for you. Re-read the manual and keep trying!

Reaction score
You don't want to "transmit" notes to the pedals. You want to RECEIVE note messages from the pedals. The PSR-SX700 has very flexible MIDI configuration, and a screen where you can actually "see" incoming data graphically. The only really tricky part is setting up bass and chord recognition.

I don't remember the specifics but I know I configured my PSR-S910 so that I could play normal chords in the left hand, but IF I played a pedal note, that controlled the arranger's bass pattern. As far as I'm concerned, that would be the ideal configuration. However, I was just experimenting and never followed through to learn the pedals :-(

I can't imagine that Yamaha took anything away in the evolution to the PSR-SX700 so I'm confident that it will work for you. Re-read the manual and keep trying!
Ted,
It's a tricky one, and to be honest, the manual is a little unclear. The pedals are nearly doing what I want, i.e. on switch on, I get the lower octaves of a piano on the pedals which I'd expect, but when I change voice, the voice on the pedals doesn't change.
As per your request, I'll keep trying.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Pages 121 and 125 of the reference manual describe the relevant settings. I would start with the pre-programmed templates "MIDI Pedal 1" or "MIDI Pedal 2." Some experimentation is required.

Your keyboard has four real-time parts (R1, R2, R3, and Left.) If you're trying to use it like an organ, you would probably activate at least one RH part representing the upper manual, a left part representing the "lower" manual, and the bass part played by the pedals. You'll have to specify the pedals' incoming MIDI channel as the bass note.

I'm sure that there's a way, using MIDI, to map the incoming pedal notes to trigger the R2 or R3 voice, which would give you full latitude to choose and modify the voice. If not, there's another workaround...

I believe Yamaha's intent is that the pedals would control the STYLE bass note. With the style running, the bass follows a pre-programmed pattern, transposed according to the pedal pressed. However, for an authentic organ experience you might play chords with ACMP on, and the style STOPPED. This is called "Stop Accompaniment."

By default, you'll hear a relatively quiet monophonic bass and a string pad. But there's a way to configure the accompaniment so that instead, you'll hear the voice assigned to the bass and pad tracks of the STYLE. Most often the bass voice will be an electric guitar or a stand-up bass. These have a sharp attack, but lack the ability to "sustain." Revoicing the style bass to an Organ tone or something in the Strings family might be more suitable. The last step is to mute the pad voice so that all you hear from the style engine is the bass.

Now when you play, you should hear the "Left" and "Right" voices on their respective sides of the keyboard. And when you play a pedal, you'll hear the style bass voice you specified. This should give a pretty faithful emulation of a two-manual home organ.

I hope this helps. You'll have to experiment, and I also suggest that you search the forums on psrtutorial.com. There are a lot of Yamaha experts (and former organists) who post there, and have probably done exactly what you're trying to do.

Reaction score
Pages 121 and 125 of the reference manual describe the relevant settings. I would start with the pre-programmed templates "MIDI Pedal 1" or "MIDI Pedal 2." Some experimentation is required.

Your keyboard has four real-time parts (R1, R2, R3, and Left.) If you're trying to use it like an organ, you would probably activate at least one RH part representing the upper manual, a left part representing the "lower" manual, and the bass part played by the pedals. You'll have to specify the pedals' incoming MIDI channel as the bass note.

I'm sure that there's a way, using MIDI, to map the incoming pedal notes to trigger the R2 or R3 voice, which would give you full latitude to choose and modify the voice. If not, there's another workaround...

I believe Yamaha's intent is that the pedals would control the STYLE bass note. With the style running, the bass follows a pre-programmed pattern, transposed according to the pedal pressed. However, for an authentic organ experience you might play chords with ACMP on, and the style STOPPED. This is called "Stop Accompaniment."

By default, you'll hear a relatively quiet monophonic bass and a string pad. But there's a way to configure the accompaniment so that instead, you'll hear the voice assigned to the bass and pad tracks of the STYLE. Most often the bass voice will be an electric guitar or a stand-up bass. These have a sharp attack, but lack the ability to "sustain." Revoicing the style bass to an Organ tone or something in the Strings family might be more suitable. The last step is to mute the pad voice so that all you hear from the style engine is the bass.

Now when you play, you should hear the "Left" and "Right" voices on their respective sides of the keyboard. And when you play a pedal, you'll hear the style bass voice you specified. This should give a pretty faithful emulation of a two-manual home organ.

I hope this helps. You'll have to experiment, and I also suggest that you search the forums on psrtutorial.com. There are a lot of Yamaha experts (and former organists) who post there, and have probably done exactly what you're trying to do.
Ted,
The other problem is that I'm using VoiceGuide, which whilst very useful, assumes that I'll never mess around with what I'll call the more subtle settings. However, I do have sighted help on occasion, and will try to put your suggestions into practise. Many thanks also for the pointer to srtutorial. I didn't know about this site, and I'll look through the forums. I've a telephone appointment with Yamaha tomorrow, so will see what they have to say about it.
Again, many thanks.

Reaction score
I'd just like to find a set of pedals that don't require selling a kidney. Some of the prices are just way, way higher than what it seems would be normal. Seriously, how much do two dozen switches connected to some large sticks of wood cost? When I see 4 figures for one of these things, I kinda scratch my head and click away. (Yeah, I'm simplifying a bit. I know they're just a bit more complex than that.)

As someone who played an organ for a lot of years, I've thought I could pretty easily add an "upright bass" sound through a pedal board. As it is, I can split the keyboard to play that on the bottom keys but I'd rather have my left hand for a bit more in the way of comping and such. I already run out of fingers on those big, lush, full chords.

Reaction score
The 13-pedal units that are just pedals, without additional switches, are pretty modest. When you step up to units with 20 or more pedals, I think the manufacturers know these will be purchased by "serious" organists, and price them accordingly.

Reaction score
17 note bass pedals by Studiologic £369

”Easy as anything to set up”

Viscount 12 models up to 32 note and an eye watering price to go with it.

I have only seen one Bass pedal setup with an Arranger and that was with a Korg Pa700 which was in the Music Store A&C Hamilton who are Yamaha and Korg main dealers.

Might be worth contacting them if you are in the UK

Reaction score
17 note bass pedals by Studiologic £369

”Easy as anything to set up”

Viscount 12 models up to 32 note and an eye watering price to go with it.

I have only seen one Bass pedal setup with an Arranger and that was with a Korg Pa700 which was in the Music Store A&C Hamilton who are Yamaha and Korg main dealers.

Might be worth contacting them if you are in the UK
Yes, that's exactly what I have. I just plugged them in, and they worked, just not in the way I wanted.

Reaction score
What ^^BrianT said. 369 British Pounds equates to $469 at the current exchange rate. Here in the US they sell for $800. If Biggles can actually get them for that much in the UK and is willing to work with you, it would probably come out cheaper, even with shipping.

There's so little interest in organs here, I guess wholesalers don't stock pedals. So anyone trying to buy them is pretty determined and willing to pay more.

Reaction score
Look up Anderton’s here in the UK, they are one of the most well respected Music Stores that we have and see if they ship to the USA.

There probably will be import duty to pay as the USA is just about the most protectionist Country that there is and constantly battling with the EU over tarif’s.

As Studiologic is Italian you may well get a better deal there.

Reaction score
Look up Anderton’s here in the UK, they are one of the most well respected Music Stores that we have and see if they ship to the USA.

There probably will be import duty to pay as the USA is just about the most protectionist Country that there is and constantly battling with the EU over tarif’s.

As Studiologic is Italian you may well get a better deal there.

Wow, that does make a difference. Probably not quite enough, though, to import as opposed to begging for a discount at Sweetwater. (I say that tongue-in-cheek. The guys at Sweetwater are good to me and will often give me about 10% off for just asking, and sometimes they'll throw in a freebie of some kind.)

Anyway, importing might save me $100 or so till I get through the whole process, at least according to the examples, perhaps a little more, perhaps a little less. But considering that Anderton's actually has a section on their website about importing to the US, it must be enough of a thing that a significant number of people are doing it.

Will definitely keep this in the back of my mind going forward. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Reaction score
It is strange, years ago USA prices were way cheaper than what we now pay here in England.

My Korg Pa5X is today $4899.99 at Sweetwater which at current exchange rate is £3860

I paid £2990 for my 76 key 5X which is $3795 US.

Ask a Question