Down the wrong path

Reaction score
OK---so I am , a beginner but someway down the road, taking lessons for a few years now and play every Friday with a similar group of guitarists/keyboard/drummer. ----we are sufficiently competent to play through a set (usually about 24 numbers) ---following the chords getting the timing and rythm right, managing a few fills and intros etc.----nothing too complex. When i started I kinda fell into it, being gifted a middle of the road Casio keyboard (everybody seems to have one in their attic!)----after a while found its tone annoying (why does casio always have that aftertaste of video game about it?) ---anyway then fell over an old Technics 2600---which was a revelation----that led to a KN6000 (very heavy and delicate) then fell air to KN5000 a little lighter but very well used. So in my ignorance went and bought a Casio CtK 7200 (light , modern, and with drawbars!) --what a disappointment ----couldn't separate left and right volumes ---well not easily anyway, and guess what ---that casio aftertaste still evident!----albeit further in the background. So with my beloved 5000 failing I looked again ---this time settled on a Roland Vr-09----still not got to grips with it quite yet ---but it looks like it has another fatal flaw ----or maybe its just me being used to Technics----that (perceived flaw is) -----. when you play with 'split' (organ left/piano or other on right) which is like most of the time ---the Technics brought the octave to the left of the split to 'middle c' thus both instruments now in same octave ----it seemed right to me and still does. But the Roland does not. This makes the organ very muddy (as low chords on organs do).
So , I seem to be galloping down the wrong road trying to find a keyboard that did what the technics did---or is what technics did wrong? Any advice on finding the 'right' keyboard would be much appreciated .

Reaction score
Road Trip time.

I suggest that you take a look at the Music Stores near(ish) to your location up there in God’s country and find those who have a good selection of keyboards all set up in Demo mode and visit them.

I’m a Korg fan and Kenny’s in Dunfermline or Dundee should have a good selection of their keyboards in stock but they will be more or vastly more expensive than the c£600 that you would have paid for a new VR.

The Technics were great keyboards, well ahead of their time and finding something similar is just not possible. The nearest you will get is a Korg Pa5X or a Yamaha Genos 2 and these are both £3000+ keyboards. That said it IMO would be worth you researching these are going and getting hands on, if you can play them back to back then even better.

You will then have an idea of the best two keyboards of their type that are currently available.

Reaction score
There are, currently 7 x Technics KN SX-7000's for sale on Ebay in the UK.
The most expensive is £600.
The least expensive is £300.

Obviously look at all the information that the sellers give you.
It just might be worth getting in your car!
I travelled 600 miles a few years back to pick up a Mint, still boxed, Tyros 1 with speaker kit, stand, stool and music.

Depends on how much you want it!! 🙂

Reaction score
If you're willing to persevere with your VR-09, I'm sure there is a way to change the octave of the LH voice. Then you can store "registrations" or presets of your favorite voice combinations once you have everything tuned to your preference.

The KN7000, though mighty, was last sold over 20 years ago. Anything that old will be long past warranty and susceptible to failure. I'm all in favor of a trip to the music store! However, if you have a drummer, guitarist, etc., try to decide for yourself whether you really need an arranger with rhythm and orchestrated accompaniment. My $.02.

Ask a Question