Ensoniq KT88 won't boot up

Reaction score
Hi. Purchased KT88 six months ago because it was SO inexpensive and it ALL worked. I was an Ensoniq dealer in Arizona in the early '90s so I knew what I was getting. The sounds absolutely blow me away. This morning I turned it on, the display lit up correctly, but none of the buttons worked. Powered down, powered back up, the display does not appear. I'm heartbroken. Does anyone know a keyboard repair service with knowledge on Ensoniq, or is this marvelous piece now a parts car? Many thanks. Jon

Reaction score
Open her up, unplug all connectors, and tightly reseat. Oxidation after 30+ yeqrs most likely the culprit. Spray connectors with DEOXIT before reconnecting.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check the output of the power supply caps and the filter caps internal with an AC VOM to see if there's excessive ripple on the power bus.

Also, inspect the caps with close attention to bulges and leaks.

Noisy power can make a CPU go catatonic.

Reaction score
Check the output of the power supply caps and the filter caps internal with an AC VOM to see if there's excessive ripple on the power bus.

Also, inspect the caps with close attention to bulges and leaks.

Noisy power can make a CPU go catatonic.
That sort of work is beyond my pay grade but I know a tech that can help me with that, so thank you for those comments!

Ask a Question