getting back into this after long break..

Reaction score
hey all,

I was hoping someone can explain something very basic to me-- I'm getting back into music after nearly 15 years and the technology is different.

I plan to get a midi controller keyboard. Now- how does it work with the various software available-- IE, let's say I want one app for the piano, another app (like korg gadget) for drums/synth sounds, another app for whatever-- you get the point. Is there one main program that takes all these different sounds from various apps on which I can sequence/use different sources? like- what if I want to use a sample from one program and also the piano from another, can I do that?

I am just getting confused because I see korg gadget, and it has all the different modules and its own sequencer. But then there are other apps- (roland, moog etc). I'd love to be able to pick and choose and not just be stuck with using what's on korg gadget if that's what I end up going with for the sequencer.

I hope my question makes sense..

Thanks

brad

tjw

Reaction score
I'm an older guy who is not too up-to-date on what's available on the market. But I have exactly the kind of setup you are describing. I use an old Yamaha CVP-105 which has a lot of internal sounds and an Oxygen 8 for a real-time controller, although I use it quite rarely.
I have True Pianos, JABB, Personal Orchestra, and some of the soft synths from Cakewalk. My sequencer is Sonar X1 or BandLab Cakewalk.

It makes a very flexible and compact rig for orchestral work. I also produce bluegrass and gospel music by using combinations of these instruments, and live-recorded players.

Through the sequencer, I can use either the CVP-105 or the Oxygen 8 as a controller, to any of the sample players or soft synths, I can record the incoming MIDI from the keyboards, and playback into the samplers and synths, and export the output into .wav files to go to mastering. I use another studio for mastering, I like having a second pair of ears on it. Sometimes, I export all the tracks and go to the studio for mixing.

Reaction score
ok--- that's really helpful. I lost you a bit towards the end with the more technical stuff, but I think I got it that I can use cakewalk as a sequencer and use a midi controller to control whatever other apps I want--- it doesn't just have to be one app/sequencer all in one.

Can I do all this on an ipad? I do have a macbook but would so much rather stick with the ipad.

I think I'll just have to dive in and start mucking around.. (my old M1/poly800II/brother sequencer early 90's setup seems so simple now!).

thanks

brad

tjw

Reaction score
You can, indeed, use cakewalk if you choose in that way, as a sequencer, as a controller itself through it's automation features.

I've never used another product, so other folks here may have better recommendations.

Just dive in....enjoy the swim....there's a lot of tutorial on the internet.
Best regards

Reaction score
I guess both.. I'd like to write and sequence stuff alone and then bring that to the group for jamming/figuring out and ultimately live performance

I see there are definitely apps out there for ipad.. just don't know how good they are? Would certainly make life easier dealing with ipad rather than laptop..

Reaction score
There is some VERY good software available now. How new is your iPad and what iOS is on it?

Reaction score
winces Ya that might be a bit long in the tooth for anything really serious. I mean certainly you would be able to run some stuff.
Check the version of iOS you can run and compare against the apps you might want to use. The small screen makes for probably a less than ideal experience.

Reaction score
it's an iPad mini- I bought 2014.. iOS needs updating. Too old?

Its worth going to the App store and installing the free lite version of Music Studio to try along with some of the free Synth apps to see if the sound you can get out of you iPad is OK for you.

If you do not have it on your iPad then Garage Band is worth learning.

The new iOS has a greater App bit depth and some of the Apps you may use at present would not work after updating the iOS so do take care and check that said Apps have been updated.

I lost some Apps after I updated the iOS

Reaction score
yeah, may be time for an upgrade!

Assuming I get something with current iOS etc- is there a particular app that's recommended? I don't need a bunch of stuff preloaded with the sequencer- I'd rather use separate apps that I choose for my sounds. And- regarding that-- how does it work in real time: if I have drums going off a set in korg gadget app, some synth sound off roland app, a piano off separate piano app.. do you have to just run all the apps at one time? And, do you assign each patch from various apps its own midi channel?

Reaction score
Its worth going to the App store and installing the free lite version of Music Studio to try along with some of the free Synth apps to see if the sound you can get out of you iPad is OK for you.

If you do not have it on your iPad then Garage Band is worth learning.

The new iOS has a greater App bit depth and some of the Apps you may use at present would not work after updating the iOS so do take care and check that said Apps have been updated.

I lost some Apps after I updated the iOS

thanks- looks like we posted same time. Good to know. thanks

Reaction score
Btw

My iPad is quite old and is running current iOS with no issues.

Just take care with existing Apps as per my previous if you do update iOS

Reaction score
Is there one main program that takes all these different sounds from various apps on which I can sequence/use different sources? like- what if I want to use a sample from one program and also the piano from another, can I do that? ... Can I do all this on an ipad?
Yes, you can do that on the iPad.

do you have to just run all the apps at one time? And, do you assign each patch from various apps its own midi channel?
Yes, you have to run all the apps at one time. This may be somewhere where your 2014 iPad lets you down... it's still pretty good for running one app at a time, but as you try to run multiple apps, you may run out of memory. A 2014 model probably has 1 GB RAM (which is at least better than th 512 mb the first Mini had). But current models have 2 GB or more, which helps when running multiple apps simultaneously. But depending on the apps you pick, running 2 or 3 even on a 1 GB model is feasible.

There are multiple ways to run multiple apps. You correctly identified one... assign each app to its own MIDI channel(s), and use your controller to determine what combination you're playing at any time. There are also apps that, themselves, exist to manage MIDI among multiple apps. These can do some fancier tricks and are not limited to what your controller is capable of. Some are geared toward live performance (look at iMidiPatchbay, Keystage, Camelot Pro), some I think more for music production/sequencing (AUM, Audiobus3, ApeMatrix) but there can also be overlap. Not every solution is designed to work with ever app, but you can generally do what you want. One thing to be aware of is that the popular Garageband has significant MIDI limitations. It responds on all MIDI channels ("Omni"), you cannot restrict it to receive only on a single MIDI channel, so it will respond to everything your controller sends, whether you want it to or not.

Ask a Question