Hammond Clonewheel "B3-like" Case & Stand -- Build, Part 2

Reaction score
Somewhere down below is my posting for the "Build Started" for this project, and what follows is an update on the progress of this "B3 like" case, with the stand to be done later (the custom maple legs are on order).

I started with a blank piece of ~3/8" plywood... (2' x 4' overall)
B3Case(9).thumb.jpeg.e559d6e5e5ff3d5efc6f2eb84d19242e.jpeg

Laid out plans for the boards and supports, and some cutouts to save weight...
B3Case(10).thumb.jpeg.daf5f845dab0f8dee54a94c1f922968d.jpeg

Cutouts will be covered with black screening...
B3Case(11).thumb.jpeg.92f5a620e4571aa4d616c29aa68d38be.jpeg

Glue & dowels are used on all pieces that connect...
B3Case(12).thumb.jpeg.d4483312ece1f74721767f29f56b791b.jpeg

Here's how the 2 boards will be stacked...
B3Case(13).thumb.jpeg.e1ddb5c249913768870ac0e6977bd915.jpeg

A view with the 2 sides added (not cut yet); I used 2"x10" fir for those (actual dimensions = 1.5" x 8" now)
B3Case(14).thumb.jpeg.97cd3aa79f77d8adb1051b304b3f5621.jpeg

I wanted to get the wide profile for the sides; one side is cut to shape, and then drilled many times with a Forstner Bit (where they will be unseen) to reduce the weight...
B3Case(15).thumb.jpeg.1f491ff20b0237193dd58ed022fa5839.jpeg

So far, I'm really pleased with how this project is progressing; and the weight won't be too bad either (more lightening cuts will be done where possible).

Old No7

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Is that solid oak for the fascia?

Pricey but takes a beautiful finish.

I'd recommend a nice Varethane Liquid Plastic for the final finish, and suggest screwing in a chrome strip along the base where your palms will rest. Otherwise your body oils and friction will make short work of the finish on the top edge.

Usually you can find something ready made at a carpeting store and use countersunk screws to secure it in place.

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas Gary.

It's fir, but has been drilled out which cut almost a pound off of it. At first, I was planning to cover it in Maple Veneer, stained and poly'd, but that veneer is only 1/32" thick and won't stand up to bumps or nicks very well. So I've decided it will be "Basic Black" -- just like Jon Lord's or Don Airey's -- and after 2 coats of gloss black to cover it, it will get sprayed with Rustoleum's "Hammered Black", which will help hide any slight surface imperfections. It's a neat looking finish. My old M3 Chop from back in the 80's was all-black too, so I guess that's my thing.

Old No7

Reaction score
Another update...

It's progressing quite well. My biggest problem is that "I only want to work on this!" -- and not on any house work, yard work, or work work... 😶

You can see the 2 lids in the image below; and I've just engineered a way to have each lid -- both joined by a 48" piano hinge -- to be able to flip up separately, while the other side is still closed and secured.

The perfectionist in me says the handle wasn't cut straight (aaah!), but it will be functional and maybe less noticeable once it's all painted black. A small synth should fit nicely up on top -- so I'm really glad I added the extra height and depth of the cabinet, thanks to comments & images from another "B3 case builder" on another forum where I'd posted my original "Build Started" posting.

My Hammond SK Pro 73 will be transported in its hard case and then placed into this B3 case for practice and shows. The M Audio Keystation 61 will be secured in this case. The B3 Stand with folding legs (that's my next build project) will only be used at gigs or at home, and I'll use a table stand at band practices.

Old No7

B3Case(16).thumb.jpg.724e86d55ac2bc8e9318f13dc142603a.jpg

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I like the way you have profile cut the sides.
The original sides as a rectangle looked pretty cool, but now you have an even slicker version.
I am enjoying your progress reports.
Ray

Reaction score
Your work is beautiful. However, I can't help but think that you deserve something better for your lower manual than an M-Audio Keystation.

One thing I LOVE about Hammonds' action is that the keys, especially the black keys, go almost "straight down" instead of being hinged from the rear. Honestly, I've never taken one apart, so it's possible that they're hinged somewhere. Regardless, the action is fast and it makes a variety of chords easier to play. Even the ones with awkward fingering.

I'm probably not describing this correctly. However, if I were building something like you, I would hunt around for the least expensive MIDI-equipped keyboard that has the Hammond action, and that's what I would use for my lower manual. My $.02. I love what you're doing and I appreciate you sharing your work here on the Forum!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
+1 on ditching the M-Audio and picking up something more substantial by Fatar.

M-Audio keybeds make me cringe, ;)

Reaction score
I appreciate the candid comments, thanks.

Factors that led me to select the M Audio controller were the 5-pin MIDI (not USB), 61 keys, light weight (only 9#), it is powered from the Hammond, but especially the lack of excess knobs, switches or sliders that I really didn't want -- all with a small footprint (not too tall or deep), and at a price that didn't break the bank. Sure, there may be much larger, more feature-rich and more expensive MIDI controllers to choose from, but this one meets my needs for this Hammond case.

As for the keybed, I find the M Audio is very playable for "left hand" organ use -- and I won't use it to solo or do smears, sweeps or swoops. The Hammond keys are best for that stuff for sure! I went with the semi-weighted keys to get a different feel, which I got (and nope, it's not a Fatar action and I'm OK with that). But I will say that a really nice and totally unexpected benefit is the Hammond's piano tones are SO much more dynamic and playable on the M Audio controller due to the different velocity and trigger point used. It's working fine for what I'll use it for.

Thanks for looking/listening. Cheers.

Old No7

Reaction score
Here's my latest update on this...

This will be my last posting for "Part 2" of the building of my B3-like 2-keyboard case, but I'll post a "Part 3" once I get the case finished & painted and the folding base built for it. Thanks to all for looking, and for your comments -- I'm hoping this info helps or inspires others, just as I've benefited from other's projects done before.

Rock on!!!

Old No7

OK, here's the case as it is now; I just need to finish the rear lid's latch, add 2 cheek blocks for the lower manual, then sand/paint and install the lower board. I've added the full back and the dual lids, with the smaller back lid propped open. The front lid will be opened up to install my SK Pro 73, and then the back lid will be opened to make the audio & pedals and power connections.
B3Case(17).thumb.jpg.47e77acadae7f475b4caf8dfe572fca3.jpg

Here's how I engineered a way so that both lids can open up, one at a time while the other is securely latched. The male part of a "sex bolt" (they're used in furniture making, and that's what the trade calls them) is threaded into a threaded insert that's screwed into the side of the case. The bolt is easily turned in flush finger tight.
B3Case(18).thumb.jpg.d5ca707990cf7f650a283728dbc0ab0d.jpg

There's a small "L" bracket installed on the bottom of the lid which the bolt engages to hold it closed. Yes, I could have drilled a 2nd hole in the bracket to keep it from turning, but it was far easier to just add 2 small screws into the wood lid. Those aren't seen during a gig anyway...
B3Case(19).thumb.jpg.264a341873458cd6ef9e3bc9e6f89f29.jpg

And now -- for my "pièce de résistance"-- the folding base that the B3-like case will sit upon, here's a preview of the custom-turned maple legs that an ebay seller from PA just made for me. (My lab, Jack Daniels, is completing his inspection.) I used images of real B3 legs to make up leg specs, but I changed a few dimensions to make them a little bit beefier towards the bottom. That added maybe 1/2 a pound to each leg (they weigh 6# each, not too bad), but the square block at the bottom being the same width as the top block will make the hinging action much easier to build and align (a real Hammond leg would have a smaller bottom block).
B3Case(20).thumb.jpg.f75802a5a13a931c8e0c978ab1220662.jpg

When it's all finally done, I'll head to my gigs with the SK Pro 73 in its hard travel case, the M Audio Keystation 61 in the B3 case, and the folding legs/base -- each piece weighing in at about 30 pounds, or 90 pounds total -- not too bad; as I was aiming to come in under 100 pounds total. That's way better than what I used to gig with back at UMass in the early 80s.

It could be a couple of weeks before you get to see "Part 3, Final Build" -- but stay tuned, as there's more to come!

Old No7

Ask a Question