Hammond Clonewheel B3-like Case & Stand -- Build Started

Reaction score
Back in the late 70's/early 80's I really wanted a Hammond B3 and Leslie 122, but even the M3 Chop and 145 that I used to gig with were beasts to carry and move around (yet sometimes we carried a 2nd Hammond & Leslie, just because we had it and could). Fast forward to today, now my "Hammond & Leslie" weigh in at just 25 pounds. But I've recently added a 9# lower keyboard (I had mentioned the controller and MIDI Merge device I'm using with the Mojo pedals on a recent posting), and then I got the hankering to built a "B3 like" case and stand for them.

After researching all the options out there, I've decided to take the plunge and make my own case and stand. I had built the case for the old M3 Chop and have a decent collection of tools and skills. I have a woodworker in KY making up a set of turned maple Hammond-like legs based on images I'd sent him (at 30% the cost of other Hammond legs), and I've just completed the "proof of concept" for the case itself using some construction/insulation foam boards, held together with pieces of bamboo skewers. I will tweak a few things in the final design when it's made from wood and use a router to round the edges of openings in the back (there will also be a hatch that opens to access the MIDI board and cables).

The plan is to have my SK Pro-73 drop in from the top for gigging and to be transported in its hard case, just as I do now. The M Audio Keystation 61 and Doreme MIDI Merge box will stay in the case when it's transported (all powered from the SK's USB port). The legs of the B3-like base will also fold in for easier transporting, but because the case isn't as deep and heavy as a B3, I may have to add some larger feet to the bottom of the legs (not shown yet) or something else to help stabilize the case once it's placed on the stand. More to come on that...

Anyway, my 7-year-old granddaughter loves the color of the foam 😄
1724683514514.gif
-- but once I'm done, it will be painted in a gloss "Hammered BLACK" finish. I had considered covering it in maple veneer and stain/satin poly, but the thin (<1/32") veneer wouldn't handle nicks or bumps too well, and the black paint can be touched up easily.

I'm stoked, as I thinking this will come out really well based on this simple mockup that I built last night!

Images follow below...

Old No7

B3 Case (2).jpeg

B3 Case (3).jpeg

B3 Case (5).jpeg

B3 Case (4).jpeg

B3 Case (6).jpeg

B3 Case (7).jpeg

B3 Case (8).jpeg

Reaction score
Nice. I've had something like this in the back of my mind. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

JH3

Reaction score
Looks like you are well on your way and it looks good even at this early stage. In case you find that you need something just a bit more sturdy, consider a "hollow door" construction. Build the outline of the panels with solid wood and skin them with nominal 1/8" mahogany door skins. I did this to build a replica theatre organ console shell. The result was light weight but sturdy. You are right about needing to pay attention to the feet because of the lack of weight in the console shell. Make sure the feet extend beyond the keyboards. I followed the dimensions of a real Wurlitzer theatre organ console and didn't have the feet extending far enough to the front the prevent the console from easily tipping into my lap. :-(

Ask a Question