Hello fellow keyboardists. From Seattle now living in Goodyear, AZ. Play a Hammond B3 w/ 122 Leslie and an Ensoniq SQ2.

Reaction score
Bought my SQ2 new many years ago and still enjoy the rig. However, lately I've been experiencing an intermitted "crash". But the weird thing is that it never happens at home or in rehearsal. Only when we're playing at our regular venue which is a ballroom in our community. The keyboard doesn't shut-down it just freezes the menu and has no audio output. To fix I have to turn it off for a few seconds. Then it usually comes back on normal. I can't MAKE it happen. Sometimes it does it when it's just been sitting. Other times (my favorite) it'll happen right in the middle of a song. I've tried several different circuits on the stage with the same result. I'm starting to think it may be a voltage problem in the room and maybe I'm in need of some type of voltage regulator but am sure open to any suggestions you folks may have. Thank you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It probably is a power supply noise issue, but not with the mains.

I would suspect the filter caps of the internal power supply are drying out with age.

Hooking up to a UPS or Power Conditioner would probably be a waste of time and money.

Reaction score
It probably is a power supply noise issue, but not with the mains.

I would suspect the filter caps of the internal power supply are drying out with age.

Hooking up to a UPS or Power Conditioner would probably be a waste of time and money.
Is the internal power supply something that can be replaced? Certainly not by me. I'm just a player. The guts I leave to the pros. Have not found anyone that will still work on SQ2s.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check your local music stores to see who they use for tech support and repair.

Most likely they have regular guys they go to or the bigger shops operate directly on the premises.

It probably needs recapping across the board and will likely cost a few hundred minimum.

Google is your friend. Try and find someone reputable in your area and ask for a preliminary estimate before you sink as ton of money into it.

Ask a Question