Help with setting up in Cubase elements 12

Reaction score
f13aced0751bb6acf370110e3d81e26cddc7c97a_2_690x310.jpeg

(I remember it looking like this, but just how do I get to this stage?)
Hi folks.

I’ve just bought the Juno DS 61. I am running Cubase elements 12.
From what I understand, I should be able to run a different sound on 16 different channels from the Juno DS, in my Cubase DAW.

Many years ago, I was doing this with my Roland JV 30 successfully in the performance mode.
I can’t find ANY instructions anywhere, on how to assign separate MIDI channels on Cubase with separate sounds on the Juno DS. I can’t even find performance mode on the Juno. I know that Tx and Rx have something to do with it? How to select the desired sound once I’m in the right mode, and allocate it to the on screen channel in the Cubase DAW. To be able to create 16 midi channels and asign them different sounds from the keyboard. I know it’s do-able as I said I’ve done it many years ago. I just can’t remember how to get in and what to activate on the keyboard and in cubase etc.
Please help. Also, I have the brain of a 3 yr. old, so small words please.

I will also post this in the CUBASE forums.
It’s a long-shot asking this but thanks anyway.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'll keep it simple for you.

The DS is crippled in that the onboard step sequencer cannot transmit any MIDI over the USB or DIN Connections.

All you can do is save a MID file to thumb drive and use sneaker net to import to your DAW.

Secondly, no way you'll ever use all sixteen channels in a single song. The step sequencer channels are blocked and fixed and your other problem is keyboard polyphony. You'll run out of oscillators with too many notes at once.

Reaction score

The DS is crippled in that the onboard step sequencer cannot transmit any MIDI over the USB or DIN Connections.

All you can do is save a MID file to thumb drive and use sneaker net to import to your DAW.

Secondly, no way you'll ever use all sixteen channels in a single song. The step sequencer channels are blocked and fixed and your ot

Secondly, no way you'll ever use all sixteen channels in a single song. The step sequencer channels are blocked and fixed and your other problem is keyboard polyphony. You'll run out of oscillators with too many notes at once.

her problem is keyboard polyphony. You'll run out of oscillators with too many notes at once.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240807_045916_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240807_045916_YouTube.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 6

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IIRC the top 5 or 6 channels are reserved for the step sequencer accompaniment channels.

And polyphony will still be a problem as you load up the DSP with multiple voices and FX.

In reality you can't expect play more than 7 or 8 tracks and even then you should start hearing DSP artifacts.

Reaction score
Ok. I used to assign at least 7 or 8 midi signals into a much older version of cubase from my roland JV 30 in performance mode. Was hoping that this keyboard would do the same...... bad investment.......?

Reaction score
Sorry to persist, but many say it can be done. I must be missimg something , as I've stated, I'm not very technically savvy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240808_100733_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240808_100733_YouTube.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score

Secondly, no way you'll ever use all sixteen channels in a single song. The step sequencer channels are blocked and fixed and your other problem is keyboard polyphony. You'll run o

Secondly, no way you'll ever use all sixteen channels in a sin

gle song. The step sequencer channels are blocked and fixed and your other problem is keyboard polyphony. You'll run out of oscillators with too many notes at once.

ut of oscillators with too many notes at once.

Just letting you know that I was successful in opening/ sending 16 separate midi sounds/ channels in cubase from the Juno. Maybe I read your information incorrectly. I wasn't trying to import sequenced songs. So it is easily accomplished in performance mode.

Thank you

Reaction score
Just letting you know that I was successful in opening/ sending 16 separate midi sounds/ channels in cubase from the Juno. Maybe I read your information incorrectly. I wasn't trying to import sequenced songs. So it is easily accomplished in performance mode.

Thank you

Ask a Question