I love my Arranger..but

Reaction score
I’m faffing!!!!!!

I get practising and then get distracted when I start to use the Styles.

On my sheet music leftover from the days when I had a Korg Pa700 each song has the Style used together with the Tempo and where the Split point was.

Now in the Pa5X all the Styles are different so it is a case of going through them to find an applicable one.

I do find it the most difficult aspect of getting to grips with an Arranger, any tips gratefully accepted.

I mean Telstar, the old sixties worldwide hit by The Tornados with the Gangnam Style backing is fun to play as is Stranger On The Shore which 1/2 hour later I am still working my way through Styles and the different Genre’s as so many fit the song.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I play Telstar with the backing of Time is Tight.
Sounds awesome with 60"s organ mixed with electric guitar sound.

I also play Stranger on the Shore with a beautiful Piano Ballad (Yamaha style) clarinet first time round and strings second time round
Tempo 68.

Reaction score
Telstar on the Pa700 was easy, there was a 60’s Style that worked, the Styles on the 5X are more focussed on music from the last 30 years so I have four versions now in Songbook, each with a different Style.

There is a Jazz Style that works well with S on the S, Korg’s Natural Clarinet is awesome and Movie Strings give additional impact when a section of the score repeats.

Reaction score
Am I assuming from your post Biggles, that Styles from previous versions of the Korg Pa keyboards will work on the Pa5X?
If that's the case, then where's the best place to download them from.
I too play earlier music, I don't have much interest in current music.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Am I assuming from your post Biggles, that Styles from previous versions of the Korg Pa keyboards will work on the Pa5X?
If that's the case, then where's the best place to download them from.
I too play earlier music, I don't have much interest in current music.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Yes, but some work better than others as the OS is new from the ground up, if I understand it correctly.

Type in Korg Bonusware and the result will give you a Korg UK address and access to 40+ mixed up groups of Styles.

It is worth downloading them all, which I did years ago but have not yet tried to load any in to my 5X. Loading them into my Pa700 was a bit odd as some loaded by default into User Bank 1, Position 1. Load another and it could load over the previously loaded Group, Korg never did fix this oddity. Easily solved, let it happen then move each in turn to a later User Bank. Hence be aware that this might happen.

Some tweaking may be required with the assigned Keyboard Sets etc.

Reaction score
I practice new songs using basic "free play"-type styles I mentioned on the Organ thread. Yamaha's have the well-known "Ethereal Movie" and some newer ones; Casio has String Quartet. I'm not sure whether Korg offers anything like this as factory content, but you can achieve almost the same effect by activating Sync Stop, or leaving the style paused, and using "Bass & Lower Backing." Experiment and check the manual!

This type of left-hand accompaniment is great for practicing because it can be played rubato, or with loose timing, which is great when you are experimenting with hand placement as you're learning a song. The voicing is bland, just chords and a monophonic bass note. But it allows you to focus on the fundamentals and not get too into the groove or drum fills, etc.

Once I know the song and can play it at (almost) full tempo, then I go shopping in the Style section and my 3rd party style collection to find something suitable. The final step is to customize further by muting or revoicing certain tracks and saving the verses, chorus, etc., to a "one-touch setting," or whatever your favored brand calls the style-specific presets.

I'm not a pro. Just a home hobbyist who doesn't practice regularly. But that's my workflow for learning a song and adding it to my setlist. You're not doing it wrong as long as you're having fun!

Cosmos

Initial Gain 🎹
Reaction score
I’m faffing!!!!!!

I get practising and then get distracted when I start to use the Styles.

On my sheet music leftover from the days when I had a Korg Pa700 each song has the Style used together with the Tempo and where the Split point was.

Now in the Pa5X all the Styles are different so it is a case of going through them to find an applicable one.

I do find it the most difficult aspect of getting to grips with an Arranger, any tips gratefully accepted.

I mean Telstar, the old sixties worldwide hit by The Tornados with the Gangnam Style backing is fun to play as is Stranger On The Shore which 1/2 hour later I am still working my way through Styles and the different Genre’s as so many fit the song.
That is one problem we all have to face when using arrangers. I got a Roland E-80 and now a Yamaha Genos 2. Normally what I do is first find the nearest style suitable for the song then if necessary modify usually the bass line pattern and a suitable drum set. That would put things much more interesting and nearest the original song.

Sometimes I get nearest results others it's even better than the original. I done Telstar and the other song you've mentioned on my E-80 and it's at its best enjoy playing them. Of course no need to mention we put all settings in a User Program (Roland) or Registration (Yamaha). Or in case of PA-5X (Songbook) if I'm right. I am tempted to buy also the PA-5X as this has SST though in my country it's not available and would have to get it from Germany in Europe.

Reaction score
I have been away for a while so not on the forum so much, question i have is peoples opinion on the Yamaha psr sx 600 and the Korg PA 600, i m interested in organ voices not sure how many these two have and the best selection and quality cheers

Reaction score
Having the PSR SX700 I would NOT buy the SX600.
The touchscreen, ease of use and a much better spec on the SX700, without doubt makes the difference between having a hugely versatile and Pro level keyboard, into which you can load all the organ voices you can find from most older and more recent TOTL Yamahas, and a pretty bog standard button operated keyboard in the SX600 which you would find much more limiting. That's my advice.

I don't know about the PA600.

Reaction score
Having the PSR SX700 I would NOT buy the SX600.
The touchscreen, ease of use and a much better spec on the SX700, without doubt makes the difference between having a hugely versatile and Pro level keyboard, into which you can load all the organ voices you can find from most recent TOTL Yamahas, and a pretty bog standard button operated keyboard in the SX600 which you would find much more limiting. That's my advice.

I don't know about the PA600.
Many thanks later this year i plan on a upgrade from my Korg EK 50, there are so many out there i want to make the right choice, nothing like speaking to people who own them, like i say it's the organ voices that interest me the most.

Reaction score
I have been away for a while so not on the forum so much, question i have is peoples opinion on the Yamaha psr sx 600 and the Korg PA 600, i m interested in organ voices not sure how many these two have and the best selection and quality cheers

Rather than highjacking this thread how about creating your own!

You will then be able to keep track of the responses easier

Last edited:

Cosmos

Initial Gain 🎹
Reaction score
Sorry if i upset anyone.
No it's alright 🙂 but just as Giggles said if you want some recommendations about something you want to buy etc... it's better to start a subject (Title) of your own as it's much more likely for everyone to see it and reply to you with help, suggestions etc... than to send your request in someone else's subject. Else you couldn't get any response and help. Good luck.

Reaction score
I just saw the thread about arranger keyboards that was why i asked the question, didn't mean to hijack anything but no problem.

Ask a Question