Kurzweil SP7 Grand

Reaction score
Hi - I'll be brief. I purchased the above keyboard because I could mute and un-mute as many as 16 different sounds/patches, live, on the fly. I use chiefly acoustic sounds and work with a drummer and bass. I use it in musical theater to enhance the overall impact theater music. The Kurz was excellent, except about 75% of the time when it wasn't. I'm in the market for something similar and not prone to crashing. I checked the Yamaha CK series, but I heard they can only play 3 "live sets." I'd like to try the Roland Fantom 08, but here in Portland, OR, dealers are few and far between. I also thought about using Main Stage software and a midi controller, with all the sounds supplied by the Main Stage software. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry to ramble. Bo Ayars

Reaction score
Hi - I'll be brief. I purchased the above keyboard because I could mute and un-mute as many as 16 different sounds/patches, live, on the fly. I use chiefly acoustic sounds and work with a drummer and bass. I use it in musical theater to enhance the overall impact theater music. The Kurz was excellent, except about 75% of the time when it wasn't. I'm in the market for something similar and not prone to crashing. I checked the Yamaha CK series, but I heard they can only play 3 "live sets." I'd like to try the Roland Fantom 08, but here in Portland, OR, dealers are few and far between. I also thought about using Main Stage software and a midi controller, with all the sounds supplied by the Main Stage software. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry to ramble. Bo Ayars
If i'm recalling correctly the SP7 series of keyboards were outsourced to a 3rd party to be developed. It turned out to be a disaster. NBP (nothing but problems). Buy a real Kurzweil which is essentially anything besides an SP7 series keyboard. I have a PC3 and a Forte and they are solid as a rock. Never had a single crash with either one.

Reaction score
The best solution woul be to use Gig Performer, Mainstage is a PITA to manage although the sounds are quite good.

Ask a Question