Learning site recommendations

Reaction score
In the bass world, I really like Mark over at Talking Bass (not to be confused with the forum Talk Bass). I own about 5 of his course and they aren’t cheap, but they represent excellent value to me. He is knowledgable and very concise, to the point, no BS.

I’ve been looking for something similar for keys and haven’t found it. I’m a member at Pianote but it’s just not for me, I’m wasting my money because I’m not using it. Instead just working though my method books and doing my scales, triads, etc. I was going to sign up at Piano Marvel, but I tested it and couldn’t find a way to get it to work without it bitching that I don’t have a midi connection. I don’t want that, just the lessons and material. I use a metronome when learning a piece, if my time is off or I hit a wrong note, I know it. I don’t need the app to tell me.

So ultimately I’m just looking for a site with a knowledgeable working musician that is to the point with real world practical experience. I’m covering the reading through my method books, but I’d like to also study using lead sheets, playing along with songs, getting used to using progressions, etc.

Reaction score
I looked at Mark’s courses, never signed up just watched certain ones. He explains things well.

As for keyboard tutorial sites, my gripe is that many are piano centric rather than keyboard.

I play arrangers and they have zero effective tutorials other than specific ones which are aimed at using features.

For playing along and using chords, triads, enhancements etc then the best I found is Tim Gross’s “Piano Genius” course which is paid via monthly subscription but there are ten free ones available.

I did sign up way back in 2016 when I decided to move from Guitar to keyboard due to my arthritic hands limiting what I could span on the fretboard.

Reaction score
I looked at Mark’s courses, never signed up just watched certain ones. He explains things well.

As for keyboard tutorial sites, my gripe is that many are piano centric rather than keyboard.

I play arrangers and they have zero effective tutorials other than specific ones which are aimed at using features.

For playing along and using chords, triads, enhancements etc then the best I found is Tim Gross’s “Piano Genius” course which is paid via monthly subscription but there are ten free ones available.

I did sign up way back in 2016 when I decided to move from Guitar to keyboard due to my arthritic hands limiting what I could span on the fretboard.

Hey thanks for the recommendation.

I checked out the initial videos and from a theoretical standpoint I’m familiar with what he was showing, but from a practical usage standpoint I have a long way to go. I then watched another of his recent videos on Youtube where he was showing how to incorporate melody notes into chord progressions using inversions to produce the effect you’re after. It seems his teaching might be a good fit for me. His marketing funnel approach at getting signups is a bit off putting though, very much like what was common a decade or more ago. :) But all good, it’s the content I’m after.

How long were you a member back then? Did you move on because of the piano centric approach?

Reaction score
I subscribed for a year as at that time he drip fed the sections month by month.

It served its purpose so it worked for me.

Initially I subscribed then cancelled and waited until an offer came in which it did so I resubscribed at a much lower subscription rate.

I am not aware or any other online site that does anything similar.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

The interweb is LOUSY with free tutorials.

Why the hell spend good money for a video course when you already access the solar system's largest library?

Reaction score
I subscribed for a year as at that time he drip fed the sections month by month.

It served its purpose so it worked for me.

Initially I subscribed then cancelled and waited until an offer came in which it did so I resubscribed at a much lower subscription rate.

I am not aware or any other online site that does anything similar.
Thanks. I may give it a try after I get through with what I currently have in the queue.

Reaction score

The interweb is LOUSY with free tutorials.

Why the hell spend good money for a video course when you already access the solar system's largest library?
It depends on the quality of the paid resource. For instance, I typically like instruction from books given their low cost to high amount of info ratio. I’ve got several that I’m working through now and they’ve been very helpful and I’ll continue down that path.

But if I find a good paid resource that has what I subjectively find as good value then I’ll pay for it. Especially if it fills in my biggest weakness, playing from lead sheets and doing them justice or just playing along to recorded music. I’m absolutely open to free. I just thought there might have been something along the lines of the bass site I mentioned, and somehow I was missing it. But I guess keys aren’t like bass in that regard. I’m also still going through the archives here on this forum so I’ll probably find some good stuff too. Trying to soak up some knowledge from you guys with time and experience.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Those threads are around twenty pages long of hand picked links chosen by everyone whose visited these forums in the last decade.

Don't be dismissive of the free ones and they include paid ones as well.

I highly recommend the videos by Rick Beato and Adam Neely among others depending on your understanding of music theory and areas of need.

Reaction score
Those threads are around twenty pages long of hand picked links chosen by everyone whose visited these forums in the last decade.

Don't be dismissive of the free ones and they include paid ones as well.

I highly recommend the videos by Rick Beato and Adam Neely among others depending on your understanding of music theory and areas of need.
Okay. Thanks for pointing me to those I’ll check them out. For some reason Adam Neely sounds familiar.

Reaction score
In the bass world, I really like Mark over at Talking Bass (not to be confused with the forum Talk Bass). I own about 5 of his course and they aren’t cheap, but they represent excellent value to me. He is knowledgable and very concise, to the point, no BS.

I’ve been looking for something similar for keys and haven’t found it. I’m a member at Pianote but it’s just not for me, I’m wasting my money because I’m not using it. Instead just working though my method books and doing my scales, triads, etc. I was going to sign up at Piano Marvel, but I tested it and couldn’t find a way to get it to work without it bitching that I don’t have a midi connection. I don’t want that, just the lessons and material. I use a metronome when learning a piece, if my time is off or I hit a wrong note, I know it. I don’t need the app to tell me.

So ultimately I’m just looking for a site with a knowledgeable working musician that is to the point with real world practical experience. I’m covering the reading through my method books, but I’d like to also study using lead sheets, playing along with songs, getting used to using progressions, etc.
Marine Lacoste - Online Rock Piano Lessons

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I’ll take a closer look at it before making a decision. Have you used it, or just pointing it out?
I have subscribed to many online programs including Jazzedge, Pianote, Piano Genius, and for different reasons have not been completely happy with any of them. I came across Marine in one of her many free YouTube lessons and was very impressed so took out a monthly subscription to Online Rock Piano at a reasonable price and can cancel any time.
Although the title says Rock piano she teaches many styles including Organ, the lessons are explained very clearly with excellent video, music transcriptions, lead sheets and backing tracks for you to play along with. Marine is a professional player in several bands and an excellent teacher always available for any questions.
I fully recommend giving her a try all you have to lose is a one month subscription, I think she even gives a moneyback guarantee, you can try any of her free lessons on YouTube and won't regret it I'm sure.

Ask a Question