MIDI keyboard newb. Does this exist?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am wondering if there is anything out there that is the following:
1) a keyboard synth, probably 37 keys, but open to a different size.
2) has onboard sounds with a little memory to save ideas without connecting to a laptop.
3) can also be used as a midi controller with FL , Ableton, pro tools,etc.
4) doesn't necessarily have to have pads or drum sounds. I play drums and have a roland that I can lay my own tracks with.

Basically looking for a decent way to lay down ideas without having to pull out the laptop, but also use as a MIDI. Just bought the AKAI miniplay but returning it because it doesn't have the quality feel that I'm looking for. If what I'm looking for doesn't exist, I'd appreciate anyone that can spare the time to explain what I could do to achieve what I am looking for in the simplest way. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hello,
I am wondering if there is anything out there that is the following:
1) a keyboard synth, probably 37 keys, but open to a different size.
2) has onboard sounds with a little memory to save ideas without connecting to a laptop.
3) can also be used as a midi controller with FL , Ableton, pro tools,etc.
4) doesn't necessarily have to have pads or drum sounds. I play drums and have a roland that I can lay my own tracks with.

Basically looking for a decent way to lay down ideas without having to pull out the laptop, but also use as a MIDI. Just bought the AKAI miniplay but returning it because it doesn't have the quality feel that I'm looking for. If what I'm looking for doesn't exist, I'd appreciate anyone that can spare the time to explain what I could do to achieve what I am looking for in the simplest way. Thanks.
Korg Wavestate I use it for all the above. Its grea live because the stages we play onb are very small

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I had a Korg Triton Tactile about a decade ago.

It's a piece of crap with highly restrictive MIDI capabilities.

Lousy choice for a MIDI controller.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I also messed around with a Wavestate.

Horrible unit to program.

Between Korg's Chinglish manuals and the amount of menu diving you have to do it's a terrible performance synth. :p

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
An excellent choice if you're on a budget would be the Behringer Deepmind 6 or 12.

Ticks all the boxes for about a third the price of the Take 5.

Ask a Question