MIDI Program vs. Multi select

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Haven't been on in a while, but I need some help. I started out on a Kawai K3 then went to a new Kurzweil K1000 many years ago. Somewhere along the line I went to a new Roland XP-80 (Which I still have), and have been Roland ever since. My main board now is a RD-2000 which I love to pieces (Except for the weight). I paired it first with a JUNO DS76 then a Fantom 07. Both OK but not happy with the sound of the patches comparing same name Natural Sound patches to my RD. I got a reasonable explanation from Roland. Flagships kid brother basically.

Anyway, Tried and bought a Kurzweil PC4-7. Like the key action better than the JUNO or Fantom. Love the sounds.The issue I am having is; I use an iPad with Setlist Maker app to change programs on my boards for live performance. Working well. The issue is, I have to manually put the PC4-7 into either Program or Multi mode to select the sounds I want. There are overlaps in the LSB and PC numbers in both modes. Have any of you found a way to use a MIDI message to change programs that are in both modes? Do I have to create and save all of my sounds in Multi mode?? . . . and use that exclusively? Do I have to manually select Program of Multi mode live??

Reaction score
Create a multi for everything, including the programs then run everything out of multi mode. So if you use, as an example, program #1, create a multi for it putting the single program into a multi. Creating a multi on the PC4 takes no time at all. Then call up everything from multi mode. This actually is the easiest solution that i can think of.

Reaction score
Hey gang,
Haven't been on in a while, but I need some help. I started out on a Kawai K3 then went to a new Kurzweil K1000 many years ago. Somewhere along the line I went to a new Roland XP-80 (Which I still have), and have been Roland ever since. My main board now is a RD-2000 which I love to pieces (Except for the weight). I paired it first with a JUNO DS76 then a Fantom 07. Both OK but not happy with the sound of the patches comparing same name Natural Sound patches to my RD. I got a reasonable explanation from Roland. Flagships kid brother basically.

Anyway, Tried and bought a Kurzweil PC4-7. Like the key action better than the JUNO or Fantom. Love the sounds.The issue I am having is; I use an iPad with Setlist Maker app to change programs on my boards for live performance. Working well. The issue is, I have to manually put the PC4-7 into either Program or Multi mode to select the sounds I want. There are overlaps in the LSB and PC numbers in both modes. Have any of you found a way to use a MIDI message to change programs that are in both modes? Do I have to create and save all of my sounds in Multi mode?? . . . and use that exclusively? Do I have to manually select Program of Multi mode live??
Create a multi for everything, including the programs then run everything out of multi mode. So if you use, as an example, program #1, create a multi for it putting the single program into a multi. Creating a multi on the PC4 takes no time at all. Then call up everything from multi mode. This actually is the easiest solution that i can think of.

One other thought is to put the multis in one number range and create user programs in a different number range so that they arent going to overlap but honestly youd have create user programs so you might as well just create multis.

Reaction score

One other thought is to put the multis in one number range and create user programs in a different number range so that they arent going to overlap but honestly youd have create user programs so you might as well just create multis.
Well partner. . . . Thank you and that is exact;y what I started doing earlier today. . . def time consuming. . . but I went through it with all the other keyboards. . . this thing has some great sounds. . . it will match up well with my RD and can be used solo if I choose for some gigs.

Ask a Question