My PSR1500 won't read a USB drive

Reaction score
I try to use a USB drive for new styles.
I did format the drive and uploaded again to it.
No matter what I do it still says that the drive is not formatted
and can't be red.
The type of the USB drive itself is written on Yamaha's list, so it should read it.
What should I do?
Thanks.
20240823_115259.jpg

Reaction score
Good advice from papasmurph.

If that doesn't work, try a different usb drive.
Even brand new ones can and do fail.
They are only temporary storage devices. Back everything up to your pc regularly.
If NO drives will read, then you probably have a faulty usb socket.

Check the socket for input/output using a usb tester from Ebay. Useful item to keep in your electrical toolkit

A good tip, which many of us do, is to always use a short M/F usb flylead to connect usb drives. This avoids wear and tear on the actual usb port on your keyboard. Replacing this lead costs cents, whereas having a main socket repaired can be expensive or no longer economically viable to repair.
Continually putting usb flash drives in and out of the main keyboard socket causes wear and eventually leads to looseness, non connectivity, and ultimately socket failure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good advice from papasmurph.

If that doesn't work, try a different usb drive.
Even brand new ones can and do fail.
They are only temporary storage devices. Back everything up to your pc regularly.
If NO drives will read, then you probably have a faulty usb socket.

Check the socket for input/output using a usb tester from Ebay. Useful item to keep in your electrical toolkit

A good tip, which many of us do, is to always use a short M/F usb flylead to connect usb drives. This avoids wear and tear on the actual usb port on your keyboard. Replacing this lead costs cents, whereas having a main socket repaired can be expensive or no longer economically viable to repair.
Continually putting usb flash drives in and out of the main keyboard socket causes wear and eventually leads to looseness, non connectivity, and ultimately socket failure.
Thanks. I will try it.

Reaction score
Did you format it in the keyboard?

Not all USB drives are equal, try a different make if need be.

There may also be size limitations in size that is accepted by the keyboard.

Reaction score
PSR1500 *and* PSR3000 were only Fat16; and could only read USB sticks up to 2gb, and it couldn't be split drive directly like all the USB sticks there were sold during the Windows ME era.

I would take my smallest (capacity), lowest current draw USB stick and try formatting it to Fat16 and see if that works. If not, purchase an old 1 or 2gb 2gb usb stick, and it should work (if you can find one).

The only way to update the firmware (to read Fat32), unfortunately, is via smart media card.

Mark

www.youtube.com/MarkWilburnTLM/Videos
DX7, CLP300, PSR60, Roland E20, CVP309, PSRS970, Fender Strat, Ibanez SA262, Yamaha CG131, Fujiyama FC390, TUC-Kitty

Reaction score
It's also sometimes worth trying to clean the contacts on a USB drive, using an emery board nail file. I managed to salvage one by lightly sanding the contacts after trimming one side of the board to fit. Use the finer grit side of the board and just blow out any debris. The same could be done on a socket that's giving trouble with various drives.

Reaction score
It's also sometimes worth trying to clean the contacts on a USB drive, using an emery board nail file. I managed to salvage one by lightly sanding the contacts after trimming one side of the board to fit. Use the finer grit side of the board and just blow out any debris. The same could be done on a socket that's giving trouble with various drives.
Thanks. it is working now! :)

Reaction score
PSR1500 *and* PSR3000 were only Fat16; and could only read USB sticks up to 2gb, and it couldn't be split drive directly like all the USB sticks there were sold during the Windows ME era.

I would take my smallest (capacity), lowest current draw USB stick and try formatting it to Fat16 and see if that works. If not, purchase an old 1 or 2gb 2gb usb stick, and it should work (if you can find one).

The only way to update the firmware (to read Fat32), unfortunately, is via smart media card.

Mark

www.youtube.com/MarkWilburnTLM/Videos
DX7, CLP300, PSR60, Roland E20, CVP309, PSRS970, Fender Strat, Ibanez SA262, Yamaha CG131, Fujiyama FC390, TUC-Kitty
Thanks. it is working now! :)

Ask a Question