No Sound

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha CLP-270 which in the middle of playing, abruptly stopped all sound output. One key note it was there, the next gone !
Coincidentally a few weeks after that another friend who has a Yamaha CLP-240PE had exactly the same scenario where he was playing normally and then all of a sudden no sound output.
I'm not totally green about electronics but close perhaps as I have searched the internet, found several suggestions and looked at likely areas. No sound at headphones either.
So briefly all caps look fine, tested with esr meter in circuit with anything even a little odd taken out of circuit and tested again. Particular close examination of the amp circuits.
CLP-270 display powers up and 'looks' fine, showing the menu and choices as I scroll around, demo appears to function normally but no sound. Factory reset made no difference.
CLP-240PE powers up, no display on this model, same testing efforts yielded no results.
Both are older machines but have been well looked after and are visually perfect.
I'm looking for ideas on areas to look at, IF anyone has had a similar experience and their end result, I don't wish to junk them just yet.
Thanks in advance to the 'brains trust'.

Last edited:

Cosmos

Initial Gain 🎹
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha CLP-270 which in the middle of playing, abruptly stopped all sound output. One key note it was there, the next gone !
Coincidentally a few weeks after that another friend who has a Yamaha CLP-240PE had exactly the same scenario where he was playing normally and then all of a sudden no sound output.
I'm not totally green about electronics but close perhaps as I have searched the internet, found several suggestions and looked at likely areas. No sound at headphones either.
So briefly all caps look fine, tested with esr meter in circuit with anything even a little odd taken out of circuit and tested again. Particular close examination of the amp circuits.
CLP-270 display powers up and 'looks' fine, showing the menu and choices as I scroll around, demo appears to function normally but no sound. Factory reset made no difference.
CLP-240PE powers up, no display on this model, same testing efforts yielded no results.
Both are older machines but have been well looked after and are visually perfect.
I'm looking for ideas on areas to look at, IF anyone has had a similar experience and their end result, I don't wish to junk them just yet.
Thanks in advance to the 'brains trust'.
Take it to a technician.

Reaction score
Going to the amps was a good move,it is odd that you cannot find anything - I am not familiar with the clp but I'm wondering if there is a separate crystal for the sound generation circuits than for the microprocessor - if that failed then all sound generation would fail. It needs an engineer with an oscilloscope.

Ask a Question