PC3x - suddenly "8-bitty" sound output

Reaction score
Hello keyboard freaks!

My trusty PC3x recently started to make weird sound output on all analog outputs (main, headphones, etc. I don't have the hardware to test the digital output)
You can hear the actual instrument sound, but it is like a very weak audio transmission or like an old Win95 soundcard with additional rhythmic distortions.

Could this be a software issue that is resolvable by a factory reset? (how to do that actually?) Or more an hardware issue, e.g. a faulty cable?

I would appreciate any advice, thank you very much!

Reaction score
Hello keyboard freaks!

My trusty PC3x recently started to make weird sound output on all analog outputs (main, headphones, etc. I don't have the hardware to test the digital output)
You can hear the actual instrument sound, but it is like a very weak audio transmission or like an old Win95 soundcard with additional rhythmic distortions.

Could this be a software issue that is resolvable by a factory reset? (how to do that actually?) Or more an hardware issue, e.g. a faulty cable?

I would appreciate any advice, thank you very much!
I'm pretty sure a hard reset wont fix anything but you never know. Probably best to just reload the operating system, this will ensure EVERYTHING gets reset properly. Be sure to save your user data before starting the process. The reloading of the operating system is a 5 minute process. To reload the operating system:

Get the files from the kurzweil site, go here: (https://kurzweil.com/pc3x/#downloads), then find the "OS Updates" section, then download the 2.21 update file. Buried in that zip file is read me file that describes the step by step process. Follow the process exactly. Soup to nuts should take no more than 5 minutes to do. Read the entire process so that you understand the steps and what to do before actually doing it. Once the keyboard comes up try playing a delivered program like program 1 (standard grand). Do not connect anything like pedals, only the output cords or your headphones. Check the output, if it is still low then you have a hardware problem. If the output is normal, introduce your user programs and then retry the output and see if the user programs are outputting normally. If it suddenly drops then there is user data causing the problem, if normal output start adding pedals and retry your user programs. Doing it this way you will hone into the root cause. Everytime you add/change something retry so that you know if the previous step caused the issue.

I have the PC3 and the Forte, this is the process i use to hone down any issues.

Reaction score
Hello delaware dave!

Thanks for the hint. I did an OS/Object update, but unfortunately it did not help.
Also replaced the small battery (although there was no warning either), but also no luck.
I guess I need to hand it to a service technician :-(

Reaction score
Hello delaware dave!

Thanks for the hint. I did an OS/Object update, but unfortunately it did not help.
Also replaced the small battery (although there was no warning either), but also no luck.
I guess I need to hand it to a service technician :-(
I didnt think that the reloading of the operating system nor a hard reset would do anything but there is always a small chance that it might so you should none-the-less eliminate software issues first. Reloading the operating system is the cleanest way to eliminate both software corruption as well as system settings that you may have inadvertently and unkowingly created. No harm, no foul.

The only thing that the battery does on the PC3 series is to run the internal clock 24/7. When you save a file it timestamps the file using date/time info provided by the clock. Other than that it serves no other technical purpose. The op amp is probably going bad. Not a big deal to replace.

Last edited:
Reaction score
yesterday I also checked the digital out - same problem :-(
So the problem is not just the DAC, but somewhere before in the signal line.
so I guess the op amp is most likely not the issue?

Ask a Question