Preview Yamaha styles on PC

Reaction score
With thousands of styles available for download, is there an app that lets me preview a downloaded style on my PC BEFORE deciding to add to my USB stick?

Reaction score
Yamaha Expansion Manager is primarily for loading the Yamaha produced Expansion packs into the later series of Yamaha keyboards.
See here :https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html
These are predominantly later TOTL Arrangers and the PSR SX 700/900 series, Genos 1 and Genos 2.
As far as I am aware, I don't think that there is Any app for playing. STY files effectively on your pc.
Many have tried, and the last attempt folded around 2014.
Apparently it's quite a difficult thing to do, and of course, although there are quite literally hundreds of thousands of 3rd party styles, many original Styles are Yamaha copyright....

Reaction score
Look Jorgen Sorrensen up, I’m unsure of the actual spelling of his name

He has produced utilities for Yamaha for years.

Maybe there is something there

Reaction score
I can not understand - what a problem??? If you want to hear the sound of Yamaha's Style - simply use any MIDI player because *.sty=*.mid=*.kar! I prefer VanBasco's Karaoke Player (http://http.www.vanbasco.com) for preview MIDI files, Style files and Karaoke files!

Reaction score
With thousands of styles available for download, is there an app that lets me preview a downloaded style on my PC BEFORE deciding to add to my USB stick?
Reviewing Yamaha styles on a Windows PC will be most rewarding if you can and do connect your keyboard to the PC using a USB cable and installing the widely available Yamaha "driver" on the PC.

Then go to the PSR-Tutorial website and acquire (free) one of several utilities for your PC. In my opinion, the most useful will likely be one called "MixMaster".

There is another utility that you might TRY, but it is somewhat out-dated and the author does not intend to maintain it. It is called "MIDI Player".

Either program will allow you to play Yamaha styles (or songs) on your PC and hear the sound from your keyboard. (Assuming your keyboard has the USB connection. Some of the low-end devices may not have the feature).

The advantage of MIDI Player is that you can load many styles or MIDIs in a queue and it will play them sequentially. MixMaster has lots of features but generally only handles one style or MIDI at a time.

If you do NOT have a USB cable connection for keyboard to PC, technically you can play styles and MIDIs on a PC but without the benefit of Yamaha's unique "sounds" (instruments), most things will not sound very good because Windows doesn't have "knowledge" of what Yamaha styles/MIDIs expect to be triggered when they are played.

Post again or PM me if you get stuck. No guarantees, but I've been using PC-keyboard connection/programs for a long time.

Reaction score
If you're not seeing the .sty extension at the end of the style name, adjust your settings so that you can see extensions on files.
Next, change the file name to replace the .sty or .STY with .mid or .MID. You should be able to play the file to hear what it sounds like with Media player.

Reaction score
Good suggestion.

Standard edition 99€
nimbu is a comprehensive arranger.

The preview of YAMAHA styles means that you can play all sections and variations of the styles directly with chords. Even with just single finger.

As a rule, you want to play a certain song for which you are looking for a suitable style. So it's obvious that you also want to play the different sections with chords to assess the sound.

nimbu also directly controls the sound module in the YAMAHA keyboard.

Reaction score
JJazzLab for PC . This is excellent and free. You can use it stand alone or link it to your keyboard with a usb cable and use the actual sounds from your keyboard.
There is a utube video in French with english sub tittles. you will have to watch it a few times . It is a very simple Band In the Box type app. It's very clever program and well worth the time to figure it out.
they call Styles ,,, Rhythms so don't let this confuse you.

web site

Reaction score
Hi ,
I sorted thru about 5,000 styles when I put together my data base.
Admittedly they were all factory styles.
I just sorted them into categories. Pop, Rock Ballroom etc, put all the styles into various categories, copied them all to usb stick, and played thru them.
In my case I was deleting duplicates, so I just deleted the doubled up ones and kept the best sounding version the stick

Except for the initial sorting , I didn’t need my pc. I also kept a complete copy of all the styles just in case I accidentally deleted one I didn’t mean too.

Reaction score
Since the PSR Tutorial Web site will soon be shut down I spent a couple of hours download all of the styles, gig disks (which are styles named after a song rather than style name) and multi pads.

its a shame to see this site go down. It has been an outstanding site for sTyler and knowledge sharing on arranger keyboard .

Reaction score
JJazz Lab for PC is an excellent app for auditioning styles. You can connect to your keyboard and use your sound card . The included sound card on Jazz Lab is also very good.
over the years I have tried many this is by far the best.

it is similar to Band In A Box but simpler and more basic.

you can quickly make midi based song and play them back on the arranger.

Jim

Ask a Question