Randomly sounding notes- where is the problem?

Reaction score
Hi I’m hearing unwanted randomly sounding notes that haven’t been played.

Here’s my set up:

Roland FP4 - 5pin midi- Scarlett 6i6
MacBook m2 8GB - satechi usb hub - 6i6
MacBook - satechi usb hub - korg nanocontrol

Running MainStage with an addictive keys vst. No other plug ins.

Notes are loud and sustained. Don’t stop until I hit a reset/panic button in MainStage which is very disruptive.

Where’s the most likely source of the problem?! Where should I start?

Any help very gratefully received!!! Thanks!!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Is this while you're playing manually, or while using a MIDI song file, or while using an auto-accompaniment, etc.?

Reaction score
Hmmmm interesting. Looks like I've got some more reading to do... I had assumed it was a hardware problem with a faulty socket/cable or usb hub.

(yes it's happening when playing live)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It could be hardware related, but examining the output that's going from the keyboard/controller to the MacBook using a MIDI monitor may help you track down where it's coming from, then you'll be in a better position to come up with a solution.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, I'm not going to spoon feed anyone about how MIDI feedback loops work. Just google it and RTFM for how to toggle LOCAL ON/OFF.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Local On/Off just controls whether the keyboard produces its own sounds when you play it, not whether it transmits MIDI.

If he were getting duplicate notes all the time-- the keyboard's sounds plus identical notes playing in some external sound module-- that would be a Local On/Off issue.

But he hasn't indicated that he's getting duplicate notes all the time, just random notes out of the blue which need to be terminated using reset/panic.

I think he should try turning Local Off and report back just to satisfy you, but I don't see how Local Control could either cause or prevent MIDI feedback; that would be more of a MIDI routing issue.

Ask a Question