Start/Stop, Fill-In midi commands for old Roland E series keyboards

Reaction score
Hi. Do you know midi commands for triggering Accompaniment Start/Stop, Fill-In, Intro, Ending in old Roland E keyboards (E-35 E70 E-86 etc.)? I can't find it on google. I found only commands for Technics keyboards: CC82 on Midi Channel 10, with value 01, 02, 03, 05, 07 but it's incompatible with Roland. I know it's possible because Roland PK-5 Foot Controller can do that. I found in E-series MIDI Channel Implementation description:
Channel 1 – Note To Arranger. This is the Channel that is used to trigger the arranger from an external device like a digital piano or the PK-5 Foot Controller.
Channel 16 – Control Channel. This is the channel that is used to receive MIDI program change messages to modify music styles and do real-time control of the arranger with features like Fill to orig, fill to Variation, Start/Stop, Basic/Advanced Break, Mute etc.
So I've tried to play notes from A0 to C8 on channels 1 and 16 but still no success.

Reaction score
Hi! Many times ago I made the CakeWalk Studioware to operate in real time my Yamaha PSR-740 from my comp. It was is also possible simply to insert MIDI commands for operating Mains, Start/Stop, Fill Ins.
I made the short video for you - you can see how it works https://disk.yandex.ru/i/hB7nuXZq-C-Uyw
So - I inserted some commands of autoaccompaniement to the new MIDI file (each command into the new bar)
I am not sure the same commands will work with Roland because the Roland is very closed system..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Nice. Does CakeWalk Studioware has native support or plugin for PSR arrangers?
I was thinking about Sysex command but can't find start/stop trigger commands neither in "Midi implementation" book nor on google. I think the only way to trigger start stop is to send Midi Realtime code FA and FC. I can see these commands on "Midi Monitor" in MidiOX when push buttons on arranger but don't know how to generate them in MidiOX. "Fill in" and Intro/Ending is possible to trigger by sending Control Change and Program Change commands on Drum channel no. 10.

Reaction score
1. CakeWalk (I mean CakeWalk 9.03) wonderful works with Studiowares and using Studioware you can program it to ANY real synth (sure - also for operation any PSRs).
2. You can program any knob, button or any fader in Studioware for any MIDI command including any SYSEX.
3. Using Studioware I can send to my PSR SYSEX : F0 43 60 7A F7 for Start and F0 43 60 7D F7 for Stop and assign them to any button on my Studioware. BUT (!!!) as you can see - only Yamaha can "understand" these SYSEXs.
4. MIDI realtime code are not the channel messages. You can also send them using Studioware.
5. I'm not sure you can trigger Mains and Fills using Control Change and Program Change commands on any MIDI channel. I absolutelly sure it is the matter of SYSEX.. But What SYSEXs on Roland - I don't know.
Here http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/more_software.htm the last in the list you can find (and download) my CakeWalk Studiowares for Yamaha PSR.
Regards!

Reaction score
So the main challenge is to find Sysex messages for Start/Stop on Roland arrangers? Then I can send it from any midi program like MidiOX or MidiCommander for Android.

Ask a Question