Understanding the Various Types of Synthesis

Reaction score
Over the last few months, I have been taking the time to learn about different types of synthesis. I was able to obtain a PDF of FM Theory & Applications by Dr. John Chowning, which I am finding very helpful. Obviously, YouTube had plenty to offer as well. I would be interested to hear how others learned synthesis and what helped them understand it.

I have a Montage M8x, which I am really enjoying. I am also moving my makeshift studio into another room that we have just rebuilt, so now I will have a proper dedicated space. I am really looking forward to expanding my knowledge. Those who know me will be aware that I have been on a dream quest for some time. Unfortunately, everything was put on the back burner as I had a death in the family (my mother). I am based in the US, but I am originally from the UK, so it was far from easy... anyway, life goes on!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I studied electrotechnology back in college.Take a 2 or 3 year program at any community college and you'll understand waveforms up the yin yang.

Or just pick up a guide to Fourier Series and Laplace Transforms and you will become a synth engineer :D :D :D

Reaction score
I studied electrotechnology back in college.Take a 2 or 3 year program at any community college and you'll understand waveforms up the yin yang.

Or just pick up a guide to Fourier Series and Laplace Transforms and you will become a synth engineer :D :D :D
Yeah... that ain't happening. BUT, I am finding many titles out there that can help (some are hard to find) although some others you can get for free via PDF which is great! I have started with FM, supposingly that is the hardest so if I can crack that I have a chance with subtractive, granular & others...

Reaction score
Seems like this book is coming up frequently - "The Fourier Transform and Its Applications" by Ronald N. Bracewell

Reaction score
Anyone who has college level or above qualifications in Electronics deserves absolute respect.

I am in the UK and was a Chartered Engineer by Profession and as part of my Degree studies I took a one year module in Analogue and Digital Electronics which by some total fluke I managed to get a reasonable pass.

It was the hardest course that I ever undertook with Maths at mind boggling level.

When I clicked on Gary’s posted link to Wiki and saw the Math Equations for some reason I broke out in a cold sweat.

Reaction score
Anyone who has college level or above qualifications in Electronics deserves absolute respect.

I am in the UK and was a Chartered Engineer by Profession and as part of my Degree studies I took a one year module in Analogue and Digital Electronics which by some total fluke I managed to get a reasonable pass.

It was the hardest course that I ever undertook with Maths at mind boggling level.

When I clicked on Gary’s posted link to Wiki and saw the Math Equations for some reason I broke out in a cold sweat.
Yeah, I was a professional chef for many year and now own my auction business so I have NO background in such things... I just have a passion for sound design and figure if I want to get good I better get my ass in to gear!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The math is a titty twister agreed, but the concept of the theorem is simple enough.

Any complex waveform can be reduced to a sum of odd or even harmonics of the fundamental frequency.

Graphic visualizations make the concept easier to digest.

Ask a Question