Yamaha EW400 metronome sound through headphone output

Reaction score
Hi,
How to get the metronome sound through the headphone output of the Yamaha EW400 keyboard. When I plug in the jack, the metronome sound disappears, and only the LCD screen shows it visually. I haven't found how to send the sound to the headphones.
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Sorry for not responding sooner - I've only just noticed your post.

As an EW400 user myself, I thought your question was a bit odd, because I've never noticed the metronome not working in headphones (as long as MtrVol is not set to 0). The thing is, I normally have MtrVol (item 61 on the function menu) set to 0, because I don't like hearing the clicks when I use tap tempo, and I don't use the metronome on the EW400 in a live environment. Anyway, I set MtrVol to 100 and set the metronome going, and I could hear it okay through the speakers, and when I plugged in headphones, I could hear the metronome in my headphones (and nothing from the speakers, as all sound is cut from the speakers when headphones are plugged in - this is normal). I double checked with the output from the line out sockets, and the metronome appears there under all conditions (although when I use the line output to feed to my PA system, I typically set SP Mute (67) to off, as I don't normally want built in speakers and PA at the same time (although I have run both in some circumstances)).

So... I'm not sure why you can't hear the metronome in your headphones - if you can hear it through the speakers, it should go to your headphones when you plug them into the headphone socket - there's no way to change the audio output routing on the EW400 (unlike, say, the Genos 2, where you can route the metronome to one of the four aux outputs, so you can use it as a click track in IEMs, for example - very useful if you turn the drums off, or you are playing a style that doesn't have drums).

Reaction score
Sorry for not responding sooner - I've only just noticed your post.

As an EW400 user myself, I thought your question was a bit odd, because I've never noticed the metronome not working in headphones (as long as MtrVol is not set to 0). The thing is, I normally have MtrVol (item 61 on the function menu) set to 0, because I don't like hearing the clicks when I use tap tempo, and I don't use the metronome on the EW400 in a live environment. Anyway, I set MtrVol to 100 and set the metronome going, and I could hear it okay through the speakers, and when I plugged in headphones, I could hear the metronome in my headphones (and nothing from the speakers, as all sound is cut from the speakers when headphones are plugged in - this is normal). I double checked with the output from the line out sockets, and the metronome appears there under all conditions (although when I use the line output to feed to my PA system, I typically set SP Mute (67) to off, as I don't normally want built in speakers and PA at the same time (although I have run both in some circumstances)).

So... I'm not sure why you can't hear the metronome in your headphones - if you can hear it through the speakers, it should go to your headphones when you plug them into the headphone socket - there's no way to change the audio output routing on the EW400 (unlike, say, the Genos 2, where you can route the metronome to one of the four aux outputs, so you can use it as a click track in IEMs, for example - very useful if you turn the drums off, or you are playing a style that doesn't have drums).
Thanks for your answer.
So, I tried again.
I use an adapter to plug in my headphones and by inserting it more or less, at one point I heard the metronome in the headphones.
So I think the problem comes from my adapter or the connector at the end of the wire.
In any case, now I have my metronome with the music and I can work without disturbing those around me.
Thanks again and have a good day from France.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You have an adapter, meaning from 6.35mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo, similar to the following?

I use something like that, myself, when using headphones that have a 3.5mm plug.

But if the connection is problematic, you might get more reliable results by using headphones that have a 6.35mm plug.

Reaction score
If the adaptor is not a stereo (tip - ring - sleeve) adaptor, that will almost certainly cause problems. The plug should be fully inserted (no "more or less" about it) - if a half insertion is required to make it work, it's the wrong sort of plug.

Ask a Question