Yamaha is ahead of the game!

Reaction score
Yamaha recently launched bunch of new synthesizers (Montage M, Seqtrack) and arrangers (Genos 2, PSR-SX720/920) they are head of the game of other instrument manufacturers with content delivery and their eco-system. Not only they lauched great new hardware, they also created many app for their hardware that make users hook to their eco-system such as Soundmondo, Expansion pack manager, Expansion Explorer, Midi to Style and many more ...

Roland and Korg have their cloud-base app, however they just go back to vintage stuff.

What do you think of Yamaha products?

Soryt

Genos2 / PA5X / YC61
Reaction score
Owning a Genos 2 ( and a YC61) and a Pa5x i can say that Yamaha is very loyal to his customers with all the free
expansion packs and software , I have a lot of sample memory in the PA5 but i cant find anything to download for it
or it is vey expensive 3rd party software , The only thing on the Pa 5 is far better than the Genos are the Drawbars & Leslie simulation ( very average on the G1&2) .Also the user interface of the Korg is very difficult and takes a lot of time to find out how things work on it . But i do like the sound of the Korg in combination with the Genos

Reaction score
Owning a Genos 2 ( and a YC61) and a Pa5x i can say that Yamaha is very loyal to his customers with all the free
expansion packs and software , I have a lot of sample memory in the PA5 but i cant find anything to download for it
or it is vey expensive 3rd party software , The only thing on the Pa 5 is far better than the Genos are the Drawbars & Leslie simulation ( very average on the G1&2) .Also the user interface of the Korg is very difficult and takes a lot of time to find out how things work on it . But i do like the sound of the Korg in combination with the Genos
All very fair assessments. I love Yamaha, but they could be even better (I don't like the matte black cases on the G1/G2, I like the brushed metal finishes on the PA4x/5x very much). Yup, the Korg user interface seems obtuse to me, but apparently you can get used to it.

I asked Korg (i'm a dealer) and yeah, 2 years into the PA5x launch there are still no sample expansions available :/ Genos 2, the only thing they still haven't translated to work on G2 are the Brasil packs (hopefully soon). And I also agree, the Genoses have mediocre Leslie sim (which is crazy when they have the YC's right there)

Having said that, the orchestral (4x the number of orchestral kits compared to G1, tons of new brass, literally a only a handfull of new strings), new Revolution reverb, and dx7II, really push the envelope in terms of realism in G2.

I'm really looking forward to getting our display PSRsx920 (I already know the 720 is basically the sx900, so not much new there).

Mark

Reaction score
It is not just the leslie sim that is mediocre in a Genos to my ears much of the strings and brass still sounds like a roomful of cats whailing.

The Korg sequencer is light years better than the Genos, yes there are limitations in the current development of the 5X but when it is updated to a level that the hardware is capable then by comparison the Genos will be third world.

There are expansion packs readily available for the Pa5X that are regularly getting rave reviews.

Where folks have both they do tend to gig with the 5X rather than with the Genos, it is vastly more user friendly and call ups are quick and rapid. Styles/Songs/Setlists have an array of Favourite Keyboard Sets that can be rapidly called up to supplement the Keyboard Sets that are incorporated with the Style.

So Yamaha still need to work on development and it is a good job for you Yamaha fanboys that Korg are there to keep Yamaha on their toes in regard to product development.

Thats all for now from this Korgboy

Reaction score
I moved from Yamaha to Korg earlier this year. I'm afraid that some problems I had with my SX700 keyboards really made me lose confidence in the Yamaha brand.
From opening the Korg Pa5X box, you just see how much better the quality is. It's much more robust, the case is aluminium, not plastic, the keybed feels so much more tactile.
Understanding the new 1.3.0 operating system was a big challenge at first, but these days when I sit down to play, I get such huge enjoyment from playing this fabulous keyboard that I can't see myself buying Yamaha again.
It is just so responsive and fast to move between playing elements, pads, and sounds that it's more a full composing instrument than anything I've ever played before.
Stunning performace. Really amazing to play.
Yamaha are still stuck in the 80's with styles and design and their quality control is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is not just the leslie sim that is mediocre in a Genos to my ears much of the strings and brass still sounds like a roomful of cats whailing.

The Korg sequencer is light years better than the Genos, yes there are limitations in the current development of the 5X but when it is updated to a level that the hardware is capable then by comparison the Genos will be third world.

There are expansion packs readily available for the Pa5X that are regularly getting rave reviews.

Where folks have both they do tend to gig with the 5X rather than with the Genos, it is vastly more user friendly and call ups are quick and rapid. Styles/Songs/Setlists have an array of Favourite Keyboard Sets that can be rapidly called up to supplement the Keyboard Sets that are incorporated with the Style.

So Yamaha still need to work on development and it is a good job for you Yamaha fanboys that Korg are there to keep Yamaha on their toes in regard to product development.

Thats all for now from this Korgboy
I'm glad you love your PA5x (we sell those, too; and frankly we'd like to sell more of both) and there's a *lot* of your points I agree with: Korg has the better build, by far, and the keys even feel nicer. And having SSS (some sounds do cut off when you switch on PA5x, but none create a horrble "pop". Similar to Modx and Montage)

I would however, disagree with the more user friendly part; even my buddy, a longtime Korg fan (owned PA900 and still owns PA1000) found the PA5x confusing to navigate compared to his PSR. But to each his own, I've been navigating Yamaha OS's for over 40 years, Korgs for less than 20, and if you find it easier, great! I'll ask you for Korg help then, if you don't mind!

But as a *dealer*, I literally just asked Korg in July when we'll be getting packs. They admitted there were still 0, they were working on it. If you'd be so kind as to post a link to Pa5x compatible expansions, I'd appreciate it! Korg themselves admitted they don't have any; and admitted I can't install the PA3x/PA4x samples I already have.

I had previously installed any packs I had into instruments for all my previous PA800/PA900/PA1000/PA3x/PA4x customers, and am frustrated I still have no bonus content for Korg PA5x customers.

Mark

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the Red corner we have Korg
In the Blue corner we have Yamaha

Come out fighting . .
You judge for youself:
Fever, same midi file, remapped for both PA5x and Genos 2:

PA5x

Genos2, simple revoicing same as the PA5x

Genos 2, run through Yamaha's midi optimization program for MegaVoices

Please let me know if those aren't publicly viewable, I made need to tweak permissions
Mark

www.youtube.com/MarkWilburnTLM/Videos
DX7, CLP300, PSR60, Roland E20 + MT32, CVP309, PSRS970, Fender Std Strat, Squier RB3 Midi Strat, Ibanez SA262, Yamaha CG131, Fujiyama FC390, TUC-Kitty

Reaction score
I'm glad you love your PA5x (we sell those, too; and frankly we'd like to sell more of both) and there's a *lot* of your points I agree with: Korg has the better build, by far, and the keys even feel nicer. And having SSS (some sounds do cut off when you switch on PA5x, but none create a horrble "pop". Similar to Modx and Montage)

I would however, disagree with the more user friendly part; even my buddy, a longtime Korg fan (owned PA900 and still owns PA1000) found the PA5x confusing to navigate compared to his PSR. But to each his own, I've been navigating Yamaha OS's for over 40 years, Korgs for less than 20, and if you find it easier, great! I'll ask you for Korg help then, if you don't mind!

But as a *dealer*, I literally just asked Korg in July when we'll be getting packs. They admitted there were still 0, they were working on it. If you'd be so kind as to post a link to Pa5x compatible expansions, I'd appreciate it! Korg themselves admitted they don't have any; and admitted I can't install the PA3x/PA4x samples I already have.

I had previously installed any packs I had into instruments for all my previous PA800/PA900/PA1000/PA3x/PA4x customers, and am frustrated I still have no bonus content for Korg PA5x customers.

Mark
Global Sounds produce an Artists Edition sound pack.

Korg’s own Bonusware website has free Styles and Sounds, that can be imported into a 5X.

WavesArt have sound packs available.

Ari Pearl also has Sound packs.

Keyboard World have 5X resources

I agree though Korg could do with their own updating but a great resource is Qui Robinez’s Youtube channel where he has dozens of How To tutorials on the 5X. Here is one:-

Yeah, Korg are very slow at responding to any required updates, bugs, product enhancement. Hopefully they will get there though, Yamaha need the competition.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles, great start! Btw, Robinez is a fellow former PSRtutorial refugee (there are hundreds of us).

I googled Korg Bonusware, and it took me back to the same spot on Korg Canada

Which has no PA5x content :( As Korg Canada had informed me this summer. Would you mind telling me which regional Korg bonusware site you've found them at? thanks again!

All my previous PA3x /PA4x etc packs, ok, only one Oriental and one mexican was from Korg themselves, the others were paid 3rd part packs as well, but at least I had a couple of official free options. Since Korg confirmed with me that the old packs won't work on PA5x (completely new chipset, despite the sound library being 80% the same as PA4x... and yes every company does this, I know! almost 90% of T5 was from T4, 75% of G1 was from T5, 67% of G2 was from G1, etc)

Thanks again, appreciate it... you respond even faster than Korg does, lol. (And I'm a dealer trying to sell their (and Yamahas and Rolands and Casios and Moog and Teenage Engieering and Dave smith... you get the idea) products!
Mark

www.youtube.com/MarkWilburnTLM/Videos
DX7, CLP300, PSR60, Roland E20 + MT32, CVP309, PSRS970, Fender Std Strat, Squier RB3 Midi Strat, Ibanez SA262, Yamaha CG131, Fujiyama FC390, TUC-Kitty

Last edited:

Ask a Question