Yamaha MOXF8 sounds muffled

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Yamaha MOXF8? We bought this for church service for our praise and worship team and i find the sound to be muffled. We mostly use the the full grant concert piano sound and when we output the sound through our PA system, it doesn't have that acoustic sound but more electronic and muffled. This keyboard sounds great when I connect my headphone to it and listen, but when connected to our mixer, its sounds muffled. I did a research and i do see some having the same issue. I then chatted with a rep from yamaha and they recommended for me to set the volume to 127 max and play around with the EQ. Another rep even said to raise all parameters of EQ(all four knobs). They also said that this has to be in stereo which i don't get because it has an option to connect to mono. I see a lot of youtube videos on this model and they sound really great and i guess it's because it's connected to a computer. But what about outputing the sound to a mixer and speaker? We have JBL as our monitors and EV as our main and i don't think it's the speakers. If anyone has any advice on how to improve the acoustic sound to make the piano sound more acoustic than muffled and having an electronic sound.

Reaction score
Summing stereo to mono creates phase
Does anyone own a Yamaha MOXF8? We bought this for church service for our praise and worship team and i find the sound to be muffled. We mostly use the the full grant concert piano sound and when we output the sound through our PA system, it doesn't have that acoustic sound but more electronic and muffled. This keyboard sounds great when I connect my headphone to it and listen, but when connected to our mixer, its sounds muffled. I did a research and i do see some having the same issue. I then chatted with a rep from yamaha and they recommended for me to set the volume to 127 max and play around with the EQ. Another rep even said to raise all parameters of EQ(all four knobs). They also said that this has to be in stereo which i don't get because it has an option to connect to mono. I see a lot of youtube videos on this model and they sound really great and i guess it's because it's connected to a computer. But what about outputing the sound to a mixer and speaker? We have JBL as our monitors and EV as our main and i don't think it's the speakers. If anyone has any advice on how to improve the acoustic sound to make the piano sound more acoustic than muffled and having an electronic sound.
Summing stereo to mono creates phase cancellation which causes the muffled sound. There are hundreds of discussions about this in multiple forums. Use both left and right outputs in stereo and your issue will disappear. If the moxf8 has a mono piano sample then use that if you are going to run your pa in mono.

phase cancellation explained

Reaction score
Summing stereo to mono creates phase

Summing stereo to mono creates phase cancellation which causes the muffled sound. There are hundreds of discussions about this in multiple forums. Use both left and right outputs in stereo and your issue will disappear. If the moxf8 has a mono piano sample then use that if you are going to run your pa in mono.

phase cancellation explained
Thanks Delaware Dave for you reply. There's a forum from yamaha where one member(Bad Mister) said: "If you must play the instrument in mono, connect only one cable from the "L/Mono" Output jack to one Input of the amp. This will at least maintain the phase coherence of the signal. "L/Mono" is designed to combine both Left and Right signal so that you don't get phase cancellation, and while not the same as glorious stereo, at least you reduce the boxy cancellation." https://yamahasynth.com/community/moxf-series-music-production-synthesizers/boxy-muffled-sound/
But this is exactly how our keyboard is connected- one output jack from "L/Mono" of the keyboard to the digital mixer. Here's another from youtube
MOXF8 has a mono version of the full concert grand so we will try that. Will also try connecting in stereo - two output jacks to two channels.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Delaware Dave for you reply. There's a forum from yamaha where one member(Bad Mister) said: "If you must play the instrument in mono, connect only one cable from the "L/Mono" Output jack to one Input of the amp. This will at least maintain the phase coherence of the signal. "L/Mono" is designed to combine both Left and Right signal so that you don't get phase cancellation, and while not the same as glorious stereo, at least you reduce the boxy cancellation." https://yamahasynth.com/community/moxf-series-music-production-synthesizers/boxy-muffled-sound/
But this is exactly how our keyboard is connected- one output jack from "L/Mono" of the keyboard to the digital mixer. Here's another from youtube
MOXF8 has a mono version of the full concert grand so we will try that. Will also try connecting in stereo - two output jacks to two channels.
The left/mono output unfortunately does not eliminate the phase cancellation as you stated, it simply combines left and right into one output. The phase cancellation still exists. Look for a mono piano although i dont know if the moxf actually has a mono piano sample or run the sound system in stereo and send two outputs.

Reaction score
Yes, i just found recently that the MOXF8 has a mono piano sample and it's the Monaural Grand MW. I just tried today and sounds a lot better! Will still need to test the Full concert grand in stereo.

Ask a Question