Annoytastic! Yamaha Mo8 questions

Reaction score
Ok so I am way more frustrated than I should be, but I have a few questions about the Mo8 keyboard that have bugged me for a while.

1.First, I have been using the storage space on my mp3 player to store songs I wrote on the keyboard. So I bought a 2gig flash drive for to replace the mp3 player. Unfortunately when I go to format the flash drive on the keyboard, it:
a. doesn't recognize the amount of space on the drive saying there is '0.0' bytes left.
And
b. When I try to format there is a message that says, "usb drive not ready."

Anyone know what the problem is? Is the drive simply not compatible with the keyboard? Is there something special I need to do?

2.Second, when I want to use a voice in SONG mode, why is it that not all of the voice transfers? What I mean is, say I want to use "Alaska" from 'PRE4' when I select that voice (and the correct ARP) in SONG mode, why does it sound COMPLETELY different? Last time I wanted a voice to sound like one from 'PRE4' I spent at least 3 hours getting all the mixing, effects, EQ's, ect. to match up in SONG mode, and it *still* didn't sound quite right. Am I missing something? Is there a much easier way to go about matching voices in 'VOICE' mode with the same voice in 'SONG' mode?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Jonathan

Reaction score
There might be a way to copy all the settings from a voice into song mode. If I remember correctly though (I don't own an MO, but I researched it pretty heavily when I bought a keyboard last month), there's a limitation on the number of effects you can use at once. Generally, you can use more effects in program mode than in any multitimbral mode (song, pattern, and performance, in your case), so that may be an issue. What does the manual say?

As for the USB drive, there's quite possibly some compatibility issues. The best place to ask about that and to double-check about copying a voice would be the forums at http://www.motifator.com. There's a Yamaha employee who posts there under the name bad_mister who knows his stuff when it comes to Yamaha keyboards.

Reaction score
I think that the MO, and the motif ES recognize only memory sticks up to 1GB

I used to own a motif ES and i too had problems with some +1gb flash drives so i got a smaller one.

About the song mode... as i recall, once you copy a sound there it gets rid of all effects so you have to load them again (unlike in performance mode where the effects copy automaticly)

I guess it's cause you may use song mode as MIDI communication so it sends pure sounds with no effects... but that's just a wild guess...

Take a look at the manual, it should be somewhere in there

Ask a Question