Help! Overwhelmed, lost, submerged... and all I wanted was a keyboard

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A lot of manufacturers have stopped making rack modules.

However, there's still the Waldorf Blofeld Desktop, and I think the Roland Integra 7, and other Roland modules from their boutique line.

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/production/sound_modules/

And the Roland BK-7m Arranger Module.

https://cosmomusic.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=Roland+BK-7M+Backing+Module

Waldorf makes some other modules as well.

https://waldorfmusic.com/en/

https://www.moogaudio.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=waldorf&x=0&y=0

But if you're looking at sub $500 CDN then look for a used Korg Triton Rack or Used Yamaha Motif Rack or a used Roland Sound Canvas.

At least once or twice these will pop up on your local Kijiji but be advised there's not much room to haggle as they sell off quick.

There's also Kelly's Music out in Winterpeg that sells Ketron Modules. Some inexpensive and some REALLY expensive.

http://kellysmusic.ca/music-technology-hardware/sound-cards/midi-sound-module/?p=1

I've dealt with all of these guys at least once or twice in the past and they are reputable dealers who don't overcharge for MIDI gear.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
When I went to the Korg website to look for a distributor, they asked me to enter a product name. I put in microarranger, and it came back with 'invalid product name'.

The microARRANGER was an older model which was discontinued some years ago. The newer model is very similar to the microARRANGER but has (I believe) a few more features. It's called the microSTATION, and as far as I know it's still alive and kicking in Korg's product line:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/microstation/

EDIT: Oops, I might have it backward. Anyway, the Korg web site seems to have both:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/microarranger/index.php

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Both the Microstation and the Microarranger are over 10 years old. One was a mini workstation with chiclet keys and the other was a mini arranger with chiclet keys. They were released pretty much simultaneously as a precursor to the boutique synth market. Neither one has been very popular over the years.

Personally I wouldn't recommend either of them in today's market. There are better options out there.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily want one myself, especially not for actual keyboard playing.

On the other hand... late at night... in bed... propped up with the pillow against the headboard... a mini-keys keyboard in my lap... hmm, I could see that! :)

EDIT: Or maybe sitting in my favorite chair watching TV, with a mini-keys keyboard in my lap.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In bed, watching TV, I use an Alesis QX49 attached to either my laptop or to an S-Engine MIDI Module

https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-QX49-Advanced-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B004JPSYZU/

https://www.amazon.com/S-Engine-USB-MIDI-Sound-Module/dp/B01E5GGKE4/

And output thru a Rolls MX42 Mini Mixer

https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-Stereo-Mini-Mixer/dp/B00102ZN40/

Driving a cheap pair of M-Audio AV32 powered monitors

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-10-Watt-Compact-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00X741TKG/

I say "bleah" on the mini keys :D :D :D

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I hear you! And the only things that are possibly tempting about fiddling with a Korg microARRANGER in bed or while sitting in a chair are the fact that it has 61 keys, generates its own sounds, and has built-in speakers. But for its $499 USD price tag I'd be more likely to go for the 49-key Yamaha MX49 instead, even though it doesn't have built-in speakers.

Reaction score
Well, I have shaken off enough flu... well, no. I still feel cruddy. But I did go down to Axe Music today, as they had a Casio WK-7200 on the floor for me to play with. And I wanted to hear for myself what the difference was.

I wound up comparing it to a $520-ish Yamaha, and an 88 key $1,100-ish Yamaha. My reason for selecting those two keyboards was simple; they were the keyboards on either side of the WK-7600. I wasn't getting real sophisticated today; it was a challenge just to walk and chew gum. Or even just walk. Forget the gum.

I played all three instruments. I played individual notes; some high, some low, some loud, some soft. And the conclusion that I came away with was, 1) they all sounded slightly different, but no one keyboard was consistently better than another; they were all just slightly different, and I felt they were all good. Secondly - Oh, I guess I mean 2)... none of them were indistinguishable from a real piano. They all had... boy, I don't know how to describe it. I mean, they were all very good. But none of them were a foolproof replacement for an acoustic piano. It was more like listening to a recording of a piano on a high end audio system. The feeling of presence was missing.

I wasn't looking at $5,000 high end digital pianos; maybe those really are indistinguishable from the real thing. But in my price bracket, or even considerably above it, I need to accept some compromises. And... I'm not performing in a sold out stadium. I think that, given my financial constraints and my relatively undeveloped musical skills, good enough will have to be good enough.

So, on the basis that none of them was stand out, breathtakingly more realistic than another, I chose the WK-7600, on the basis that it had more features, and those features would allow me to do more things. I can learn more with the WK-7600, because it does more. And truthfully, it didn't sound bad.

So I found my sales rep, and told him that I'd like to buy one. He said that he'd need a deposit, and they'd have to bring one in. That surprised me; he'd told me on Saturday that they had 4 in stock. But apparently he meant that the online sales arm of Axe music has 4 in stock, and they have to buy it from the online division, and have it delivered to the store. And this was going to take several days.

Well, OK. Can I just buy it now, bring the paid receipt over to the warehouse, and pick it up myself? Nope. They don't do that. Don't know why; they'd save themselves some courier fees. But, they just don't do that.

Okay. Well, if they're going to deliver it somewhere, can they just deliver it to my house? Yep, no problem. So I figured, what the hell, let's do that. It'll save me from having to drive around while I'm still coughing up green stuff, and truthfully, I probably wasn't going to play with it much even if I did get it today.

So I pulled out the magic plastic... and then my sales guy started trying to sell me delivery insurance. It's just 3% of the purchase price, and if the courier company drops it and breaks it or loses it, then Axe will step in and fix it. If I didn't buy it, in the event of a delivery problem I'd have to deal with the courier company myself. Axe wouldn't lift a finger.

Well, that's when I jammed my card back in my wallet and walked out.

"Geez, kid. Nice keyboard ya got there. Be a shame if something were to happen to it."

My position on delivery is that until the keyboard is physically in my hands, undamaged and pristine, anything bad that happens to it is the responsibility of the merchant. I was insulted. Either they're a much shadier company than I had hoped, or they singled me out because I looked like a dumb F**K they could scam.

25 years ago, I bought a Kurzweil K2000S from them. They wanted to sell me the instrument on the floor; but I made it VERY clear to my sales guy that I wanted a brand new, unopened keyboard. He faithfully promised me that I'd get exactly that. So I went down the next day, picked up my 'new' keyboard, got it home, opened the box... and discovered months of dirt and grit accumulation on the underside of the keys. This wasn't just a store demo; this keyboard had seen serious use, perhaps as a rental unit. And they tried to palm it off to me as new. I was massively pissed, drove it back, and told them that I either was going to be given a brand new keyboard, or they were going to give me my money back, or they were going to see me in court. I got the new keyboard... and I swore I'd never deal with them again.

For 25 years, I kept that vow. But ya know, people change. Stores change. And more to the point, they were the only damn brick and mortar store I could find that would even breathe the name Casio WK-7600. Truthfully, it's easier to buy Crack in Edmonton than a Casio WK-7600. So 25 years later, I tried them again... and they're still trying to screw and scam me.

So I drove home and bought it through Amazon. It was the same price; and I know that Amazon WILL guarantee delivery of an undamaged keyboard to my doorstep. No 3% surcharge required.

And the punchline? It's an Amazon marketplace merchant; and the merchant is Axe music in Edmonton. So they're still going to sell it to me, they're still going to deliver it to my doorstep, they're not going to get a 3% extortion fee... and the ARE going to have to pay Amazon a percentage of the sale.

I don't feel bad about that at all. That money would have been in their pocket, had they simply acknowledged their delivery responsibilities, and treated me respectfully. I was in the store, ready to buy, with my wallet out. Under those circumstances, most stores could have found a way to complete the transaction. It's difficult to screw it up. But they managed.

So I guess I'll give them another 25 years before I try them again. I'll be 87 years old. We'll see if we're both still around.

3% delivery insurance indeed. Take that extortion attempt and shove it on up. Sideways. I hope it hurts.

So, that's my tale of woe. Until Monday - or perhaps sooner, when Axe discovers that I'm just a hop, skip and jump away from their rental storage unit - oh, I'm sorry, I meant global delivery hub - I'm just looking at pictures.

Sigh. I have to go cough up green stuff now. Peace. >Charlie

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Love your story Charlie:). It was like reading a novel.
Lessons to be learnt and I am glad you stood your ground on the Delivery surchage. Bloody cheek!:eek:
Look forward to your new baby.
Glad you are on the tail end of the flu.
Cheers ray

Reaction score
Glad you are feeling better.

Some story there.

Similar experience in the UK, bought a Bass guitar amp instore on the recommendation of the Manager despite me explaining that I had reservations about it, got it home and my old Bass would not drive the amp, they respfused to give me cash back only a credit note, ended up buying a grea Fender amp with the CN plus more cash. Checked their online sales and there is 30 day return if not satisfied. Moral of the tale is I now go into the store to check out and play their kit but I now buy from another company, it will be a cold day in hell before I buy from them again.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Loved your Novel Charles, but we've gotta face facts. Purolator and UPS only provide basic insurance of $100 on their shipments, so if you have a $4000 item being shipped the additional insurance is well worth the money.

Amazon can afford to eat the loss when something disappears in the mail basically by sticking it to the poor reseller who contracted thru them.

Axe is nowhere near the same sized operation as Amazon and in order to keep costs low, they have to pass additional expenses like insurance on to the consumer.

To their credit, years and years ago I bought a ten channel Behringer mixer from them that arrived with a bad channel. They covered the return postage and replacement costs out of their own pocket well as they should have. Other than the mixer, over the years I've purchased a Korg TR76, a Korg X50 and my current Kurzweil PC3K8 from them and have always shelled out for the shipping insurance.

Frankly I'm glad they alert the customer to this fact about shipping before we hit the trigger rather than leave us high and dry when the occasional sh*t hits the fan.

I'm not saying they are perfect nor that they always have the lowest price, but calling the shipping insurance "extortion" is an unfair characterization.

And you sort of have to realize that you are in a unique situation, living in the same town as the warehouse. These days, they are primarily a mail order web enterprise with the local brick and mortar operation making up only va tiny part of their revenues.

Anyway, it's good to hear you are no longer horking up the green stuff as that's pretty nasty, but that's why we live in the Great White North. We get our flu shots and we take our chances on whatever the season brings us. :p

Get well soon :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi, Ray! Sorry I got a bit long winded. I appreciate the like you gave me!

Hey, Biggles - yep, that's kind of the same approach I'm going to have to take. Edmonton is kind of an isolated place; 400 miles from the nearest US border (and that places me in Montana; the entire state has less than half the population of Toronto). This means that if you can't find it locally, you're pretty much doomed to buying mail order.

Hi, Gary - thanks for the well wishes. I am getting better.

Given what you've posted in the past, I'm guessing that you're actually working in the music industry. In such a case, paying that cost becomes a business deduction, and having the occasional hassle swiftly dealt with can save more money than it costs.

But I still don't buy in to the concept of paying for transportation insurance. Here's why: I have no say in the courier company they choose. Were they to say, "You choose the courier, you take the risks" - well, I guess a case could be made. But where I'm paying for insurance but they are choosing the courier, the situation changes. It's not hard to imagine a scenario where a merchant might use two couriers. The pricier one, Reputable Couriers inc, is used for all the products where insurance is purchased. The cheaper one, Devil May Care Delivery, gets the non insured products.

In my case, by buying through Amazon I am covered by their 'A to Z guarantee'. It states, "The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee." If it doesn't show up I file a claim, and Amazon takes it from there. This is the case regardless of the merchant I choose.

And really, the problems of distribution are nothing new; they've been with us for at least a hundred years, when Sears Roebuck and Timothy Eaton were both brand new start-ups. Let's consider a few very successful businesses: Best Buy, Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, Dell, and Amazon. All of these businesses started within the last 50 years; and when they started, they started with next to nothing. They serve very different industries and they sell very different products, but there is one thing that they all have in common: and that thing is exceptional customer service. The customer is always right. They will bend over backwards to ensure that a customer is satisfied, even if it means that they lose big on one particular deal.

They don't do this because they like to lose money. These business people are not dumb. They offer exceptional customer service, because they know it is one of the essential elements to growing their business.

I will admit that I bristled a bit when you said "Amazon can afford to eat the loss when something disappears in the mail basically by sticking it to the poor reseller who contracted thru them." Yeah, but here's the deal. First, no one is forcing these companies to deal with Amazon; they can choose to be a merchant, and if they're losing money overall, they can always abandon Amazon and market their products different ways. Second... umm, there are no 'poor resellers'. There are only resellers. All of the companies I mentioned above had a first day in business. They all started small, and had to deal with business giants. They all were considerably smaller than Axe Music at one point.

But they grew to be giants, and it wasn't just luck. It was a lot of things; they were smart, they were agile, they were creative in developing new marketing vehicles and products... and they all knew that bad customer service was a poison pill that would kill their enterprise, no matter what else they did.

What I would have liked to have happen for me at Axe Music, was this: First, I would have liked the product to be in stock, so I could just walk out the door with it. But I don't fault them for that; running out of stock can, and does, happen to every retailer. Second, if the product is located at another location and I can get there during normal business hours, they should make it possible for me to purchase it, and just go pick it up at the warehouse. Really, that's not hard to set up. Incorporate that into your business model. Develop any necessary paperwork, and just make it happen.

And if none of that can happen, the sales guy, or the manager, or someone, should be willing to get the keyboard from the warehouse and deliver it personally to me, at my home, that evening. I've actually dealt with companies that did that; and when I was in business, I did it for my customers as well. It's customer service, and it's the sort of thing that customers remember.

But what did happen is that they told me it would be a few days before I could get my keyboard, and they tried to offload their responsibility for safe delivery onto me. And that's bad customer service; and people remember that, too.

Anyway, thus endeth my rant. Just my opinion, I guess. Sorry for being so long winded. >Charlie

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi, Ray! Sorry I got a bit long winded. I appreciate the like you gave me!
Don't be sorry. It was a good read. and if you insist on being long winded, do it by all means and don't say sorry afterwards. Looking forward to your next chapter.

Oh! I see it has just hit the press.
There is conflict now with purchase of wk-7600 vs new models. Oops!

Btw. .
If one pays a delivery fee for any goods to be delivered then that shoud be all one pays. The onus for safe handling and delivery in good order is squarely on the courier. They are getting paid to provide the service. Thats it.

Cheers ray

Reaction score
I have bought dozens of Amazon items and not one has arrived damaged via the courrier.

Gratious I am even on first name terms with many of the guys delevering.

Its up to the seller to pack the item well.

I recently received a boom mike stand from Amazon and whilst the packaging was pristine the box inside surrounded by bubble wrap which was containing the mike stand was flimsy and the glue had failed, the mike clips were broken. I now have a new complete mike stand spare and yet again the stand packaging itself was rubbish

Ask a Question