Midi Keyboard replacement (Ensoniq Mirage) options?

Reaction score
Hello
I was hoping to hear of some replacement options for my old 61-key Ensoniq Mirage
I bought this keyboard decades ago from a pawn shop and it had served me well while I was in my band, but setting it up after 15+ years of hiatus I think it had bit the dust.
I used it as a second keyboard dedicated to control/emulate an organ module (midi cable to voce micro-b 2 organ simulator to a Motion Sound Pro-3 + second amp for low rotary sim).
Not every key press will trigger sending a note (signal) to the module, and lately, sometimes it will send two notes (bouncing back and forth between the note pressed and one 5 steps higher). I'm not 100% sure it's not the module either, I have a second module (micro-b 1), but the bouncing notes is quite seldom that it's hard to "test" for that. I just ordered a replacement midi cable just in case too. Plus the sustain pedal input jack (not that sustain is used with organ playing) doesn't work anymore either. So I really think it is slowly dying.

So I'm looking for a replacement keyboard and wanted to pass along how I use it.
What I really love about this keyboard is the feel of the keys. They are very bouncy and kind of loose. Really nice and easy to glissandos over.
That is really my only "requirement", the key feel. If the keyboard has some nice sounds, all the better. But just bought a Roland Juno DS76, so a good feeling midi controller keyboard is all I'm really after.

Thanks for any ideas!

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Biggles. I'll check those keyboards out.
I don't necessarily require a midi-controller keyboard, but a keyboard that has midi out - which may be most decent boards?
Mainly searching for a similar keyboard feel to what I have - which you can imagine is a pain trying to do "online" :)

Reaction score
I owned the Ensoniq VFX, SD1 and TS-12, which are probably one decade newer than the Mirage. I really liked the keybed on all of them, although the TS-12 was a 76 key weighted keybed. My guess is that a thorough cleaning of the Mirage keybed will return it to life. Due to its life the keyboard owes you nothing; so I'd take a shot at taking it apart and doing a thorough cleaning before you write it off. If you find you need parts Sam Mims from Syntaur stockpiles them.

Reaction score
My guess is that a thorough cleaning of the Mirage keybed will return it to life.
That is a great idea. thanks, I will definitely be checking this option out (after I watch more than a few "how to clean old synths" youtube videos ;)). If that works out that would be perfect. Appreciate the link too. I wouldn't mind figuring out how to repair the pedal switch while in there.

Ask a Question