Recording Tracks on DGX

Reaction score
I am a newbie on the DGX, as well as playing keyboard/piano.

I've gone through the manual about recording individual tracks, and the styles.

I wanted to experiment with recording a song, with a style, including the intro, ending and Main A and Main b, then record other instruments on different tracks.

I set everything up: voice, style, song to record to, tempo, ACMP-Intro, etc. But when I press the REC+01, it does seem to indicate it will record to A (which would be the style), and Track 1. But, it wipes out ACMP, and when I start the recording it plays the Intro, not continuing with the style. I an assuming that is because ACMP turned off. Tried it a couple times with same results.

Is what I'm trying to do not possible?

I will add that after that experience, I set it to record the style to A, and nothing else, then played the song to record to 1, and that worked. I'd like to get it all to record to 1 and A, including the intro/ending etc if I can, in 1 pass.

Any thought appreciated.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think the DGX is a lot like the PSR-E as far as the MIDI recording functions.

You should be able to record using two different approaches:

(1) Record your keyboard playing and the accompaniment at the same time.

(2) Record to just a specific track.

It sounds like maybe you're using the first method twice, such that the second time it's wiping out (recording over) the accompaniment track that you'd already recorded the first time.

What you need to do, once you've already recorded to the A track, is make sure any additional tracks you record are being done using the second method, so the existing accompaniment track-- and any other tracks you have already recorded-- will be preserved.

See the section if the manual that starts on page 44, especially the section on page 46.

Reaction score
I think the DGX is a lot like the PSR-E as far as the MIDI recording functions.

You should be able to record using two different approaches:

(1) Record your keyboard playing and the accompaniment at the same time.

(2) Record to just a specific track.

It sounds like maybe you're using the first method twice, such that the second time it's wiping out (recording over) the accompaniment track that you'd already recorded the first time.

What you need to do, once you've already recorded to the A track, is make sure any additional tracks you record are being done using the second method, so the existing accompaniment track-- and any other tracks you have already recorded-- will be preserved.

See the section if the manual that starts on page 44, especially the section on page 46.
Thanks for your response.

I have done both. I'll elaborate a bit more.

I wanted to record, in 1 recording session, the accompaniment (including Intro, and Ending) while also playing the song. So My expectation is I set up as instructed, and play the song with the accompaniment. BUT, I'm not sure exactly when or why, the ACMP would turn off. With that turned off, the keyboard would play the Intro, but with ACMP being off, it did not continue on wiht the accompaniment to record. Tried it twice. Tonight I will try to watch and see when the ACMP goes off.

Being as I want to have it play the INtro and Ending, if I have to record the accompaniment by itself, it can be a bit challenging to be sure I play exactly the right number of measures through the song, and have it play the ending. IDEA! Writing that just popped a thought into my head. If I set it to record the accompaniment only, there's nothing preventing me from playing the song while it records the style. Although, it may still turn off ACMP which would result in the same problem.

Now, I DID record the accompaniment only, then followed up with the song. But it seems like the long way around.

After all that being said, I think the issue is, why is ACMP turning off when I try to record it all at once?

If I come up with new observations tonight, I'll post back.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Guess what! I just went in and was successful. I'm thinking it is the order in which I make the different selections. For example, I can have tempo set, then select something else (which likely has it's own tempo) and I need to reset the tempo.

So, it is working fine.

Thanks again @SeaGtGruff . I see you answering a lot of questions here. You are a great resource, and I'm sure, very appreciated.

Ask a Question