Roland a88 vs a88 mark II keybed: Ivory-Feel G vs PHA4

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking into purchasing a Roland a88. The action and key bed are the absolute most important things to me in an instrument and I am looking to get as close to a grand as possible. Difficult, I know!

There is a very good deal on an a88 near me but before I jump on it I am curious if first of all people still have good feelings about the a88, and second of all, if new key beds have been introduced in models like the a88 mark II that are significant improvements compared to the a88 keybed.

Basically, does the a88 still have a good action by 2021 standards?

Thanks!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Talk to @Kaneda : He's tried almost every action available in the last 3 years.

He finally settled on a Kawai.

If piano action is that important to you there's no substitute for wooden keys.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you, Gary!

I agree about wooden keys but am not sure I have the $$$ to afford them.

I am new to this community, so is it more appropriate for me to reach out to @Kaneda directly or wait and see if he is willing to respond on this thread?

Again, thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd wait 48 hours to see if he replies to this thread after I notified the system of this thread. Others may join in.

Otherwise if you hear nothing in here by Saturday you can go ahead and msg him. Keep in mind he's on Belgium Time so people can post at any hour of the day or night on these forums.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I am looking to get as close to a grand as possible.
I agree about wooden keys but am not sure I have the $$$ to afford them.
As close to a grand as possible and a budget that's under a grand are somewhat conflicting objectives. ;-)

To answer your specific question, I think most would agree that the PHA-4 is better than the Ivory Feel G.

But there are no spectacular actions in this under-$1k price range.

I'd probably look first at the Studiologic SL88 Grand. Kaneda's budget recommendation will probably be the Korg D1, which is also a reasonable choice. Kawai ES110 has its fans, too. Also some of the Casios.

Reaction score
The question is not whether the PHA4 is better than the Ivory Feel G.
My honest answer ? No, it isn't better, just slightly different.

I have only briefly played a PHA4 action in a store once, but I have owned the Roland FA08, which has the Ivory Feel G. And for piano, it's the best 'plastic' action, together with Korg's RH3 (I find Kawai's RH3 and RHC, although great feeling actions, a bit 'too' bouncy, not to mention noisy, which is always a deal breaker for me).
As for the chioce between A88 and A88 MK2 : you won't go wrong with either of them.
Is the A88 new or used ? Because that can make a difference depending on how that board has been (mis)used.

Check out Stu Harrison's from Merriam music reviews on Youtube : he has reviewed almost anything from Roland with either the PHA4 and Ivory Feel G, and in one video, claims that he slightly prefers the Ivory Feel G to the PHA4, stating the Ivory Feel G is somewhere between the PHA4 and the higher end PHA50...

They're not all that different, really. I guess choosing between the A88 and A88 MK2 should be decided on functionality, rather than action....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kaneda, my sense was that PHA4 was a bit quicker on the return than Ivory Feel G... was that not your experience? Personally, a quicker return is more important to me than less noisy. But I can see people's opinions about that varying, especially depending on how fast you play and how loud you play.

Reaction score
As far as noise is concerned, when playing on stage, that really doesn't make any difference. I look at things from a home environment's perspective where, in my case at least, action noise leaves me irritated enough to just forget about the whole thing, with me ending up selling the bloody thing.
Ivory Feel G is somewhat 'heavier' than PHA4, I suppose, but as I said, I don't have that much experience with PHA4. I do know, however, that the Ivory Feel G is very good for piano or EP, but I find it not to be ideal for other sounds.
I find Korg's RH3 the best 'all rounder', good for everything, and even Korg's NH I find rather good, even though I'm obviously a part of a very small minority by saying this.

You obviously have a 'broader' view on everything, as far as different types of actions and boards go ; I always tend to compare actions in any 88-key digital piano, workstation or synth to my real acoustic upright I used to own when I was younger. I loved that action and any action that reminds of that particular feeling, will always be high up on my favourites list...
Needless to say, my Kawai CA58 (and the MP11SE I sold) are both on the top of the aforementioned list.

Reaction score
A88 mkII $1030 USD.

Studiologic SL Grand is worth a closer look, I have a compact 2X and whilst it has semi weighted its construction and dimensions are impressive for the cost and the SL Grand will probably be manufactured to a similar standard. With 250 onboard sounds and ivory feel wooden keys the keybed would probably meet the criteria and at $1000 USD it is on budget.

Roland have recently updated its FP range and the FP60X has a PHA-4 keybed plus onboard sounds and amp/speakers and its cost is c$750 USD so there is a DP for less than budget.

Reaction score
Studiologic SL Grand is worth a closer look...With 250 onboard sounds and ivory feel wooden keys the keybed would probably meet the criteria and at $1000 USD it is on budget.
It is a controller, no onboard sounds.

Roland have recently updated its FP range and the FP60X has a PHA-4 keybed plus onboard sounds and amp/speakers and its cost is c$750 USD so there is a DP for less than budget.
Or even the FP30X. Though these Rolands (as well as the Korg D1 and Kawai ES110 I mentioned) have no controller features, not even pitch and mod wheels... worth noting in comparing to the A88s, if that may be of interest to the OP. (And since I mentioned Casio, I'll also mention that PX-560 and PX5S do have the pitch and mod controls, though I know that Kaneda does not like these actioms for the noise.)

Reaction score
Sorry, the Studiologic SL Grand has 250 onboard Program settings.

The A88 has an ivory feel G keybed which is the same as what is fitted to a Juno DS88 so maybe a new or used Juno 88 would offer better vfm as at $1200 new it is not far off budget.

Reaction score
Sorry, the Studiologic SL Grand has 250 onboard Program settings.

The A88 has an ivory feel G keybed which is the same as what is fitted to a Juno DS88 so maybe a new or used Juno 88 would offer better vfm as at $1200 new it is not far off budget.
Thank you for mentioning the Juno DS88. I have actually played on one of those at a gig and remember being a bit disappointed with the action. That could have had as much to do with the amp or quality of the sample I was using. If I remember correctly, I remember the action as being relatively light and a bit squishy. Still, glad to know I can use the new Juno as a point of reference for the a88.

Reaction score
@anotherscott @Kaneda @Biggles Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and share your experience on this thread, I really appreciate it.

The a88 I am going to get is at a very good price ($250 USD), so I know I will need to be extra careful about noticing wear like you mentioned @Kaneda . It is reassuring to know that the a88 isn't totally outmatched by newer keyboards around the $1000 level. Even if some people have options that they prefer, they will still be several times the price of this particular a88, and as a student that is a dealbreaker.

In the event that the action of the a88 doesn't fit my needs I am sure I will be able to sell it without loss and try to save up for some of the other keyboards people kindly suggested in this thread.

This will be my first midi piano so I am very excited to get into the world of piano VSTs! Again, thanks to everyone for your thoughtful advice.

Reaction score
The M-Audio Hammer 88 (not pro) could be an option aa well, as far as price is concerned.
It seems to be getting very good reviews, but no idea how the action feels...

Reaction score
The M-Audio Hammer 88 (not pro) could be an option aa well, as far as price is concerned.
It seems to be getting very good reviews, but no idea how the action feels...
Forum member Max has had to return his M Audio Hammer 88 because of a faulty keybed, others have reported similar QC issues.

For the $250 of the A88 the Op is quoting he is probably very unlikely to find anything better at this price point.

Reaction score
The a88 I am going to get is at a very good price ($250 USD),

where you find it at this price????

Reaction score
The a88 I am going to get is at a very good price ($250 USD),

where you find it at this price????

Ask a Question