Roland JUNO-DS 88 vs CASIO PX560

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

need help here...

I should buy a keyboard for my wife. She has a couple of needs:
1. 88 weighted keys (hammer action or anything similar to a real piano complete keyboard);
2. Possibility of - at least - 4 sections splitting (with indipendent transpose, dynamic range and sounds);
3. Vocoder with at least 6 indipendent voices (she wants to tune an input voice from an external dynamic mic into a 6-voices poliphony that follows the keys pressed);
4. Good sounds and controls;
5. Not over 20 Kg;
6. The budget is around 1000 euros

(I know... I should change wife model... :)

Now, CASIO PX-560 seems very impressive: Casio declares good sounds, efx and controls, and it seems that HexLayers function can split the keyboard into 6 sections, with indipendent transpose I suppose, but I'm not sure... If it's right, this PX560 has everything I'm searching for, BUT the Vocoder...
On the other hand, Roland JUNO-DS 88 should really have everything: if I'm right the 88-model should have weighted keys AND the Vocoder (but I don't know how many voices it allows, and if it has some compressor/EQ filter to compress the voice BEFORE voconding...) It has a simple 2-section quick splitter button, but it seems that you can anyway program a more complex splitting (more than 4 voices) with indipendent transpose (but, again, I'm not sure...)

So, now it's questions time:
1. Can you confirm that Casio PX560 can split up to 6-sections and that every section has indipendent transport?
2. Can you confirm that also JUNO-DS 88 can split at least into 4-sections and that every section has indipendent transport?
3. Is it true that PX560 HASN'T Vocoder?
4. Instead, about JUNO's Vocoder, how many indipendent voices can it handles?
5. Again about JUNO's Vocoder, is it possible to add some compressor/EQ filter to the input voice (mic)?
6. Can you confirm that JUNO-DS 88 model has weighted keys?
7. About all the other aspects (sounds and controls quality, efx, etc.) which keyboard would you recommend?

Thanks a lot for your help and advices!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own the little brother to the DS88 the DS61 and I'll have to get back to you on some of your questions.

What specifically do you mean by "how many independent voices can the vocoder handle? There is only a single Mic input on the back and I've never personally used the vocoder feature.

I can tell you that the DS88 does have weighted hammer action keys though.

Between the PX-560 and the DS88 I have to say that both are great keyboards though if a vocoder is a dealbreaker either go with the Juno or else buy the 560 and get a separate Vocoder box like the Boss VO-1 or the TC Helicon Voicetone Harmony or the Electro Harmonix Iron Lung.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-VO-1-Vocoder-Effects-Pedal/dp/B01B3V4OZQ

https://www.amazon.com/Helicon-VoiceTone-Harmony-G-Effects-Processor/dp/B002TUTUIM/

https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-Iron-Lung-Vocoder-Pedal/dp/B0031Y2IE8/

Personally you can't really go wrong with either keyboard but I'd say if it comes down to it the Juno is less expensive and has the vocoder without additional hardware.

The Juno, btw, can handle ordinary layers and something called Superlayers which I don't really use either. Check out the docs and you can find all these answers as easily as I could. ATM I can't really recall how many layers can comprise a super layer.

Anyway, you should find all the answers to you questions in the documentation for both boards.

From my perspective, the Juno at its price point has all the features I could ask for or need.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks really a lot for your reply! Very useful.

P.S. BTW, "how many independent voices can the vocoder handle?" I simply mean how many notes/keys can I press down at the same time with the Vocoder? For example: same vocoders declares a max of 4 note of poliphony (in this case, if I press down 5 keys at the same time, I can hear my voice tuned in only 4 notes: 1 note is muted).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be honest that would take a better ear than mine to determine. I seriously doubt I could distinguish by ear a 5 note chord layered with a voice from a 4 or 6 note chord.

If you really need that technical tidbit I'd suggest contacting Roland Pre Sales Support yourself and asking them the question.

My guess is that even they would have to dig for a week or two to find out the answer.

I would imagine even then it would be dependent on whether or not you are using a layer or superlayer as all of these embellishments require processor time and clock cycles to implement and there may not ever be a definitive answer.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question