Use Roland PK5 pedals to drive the "Split midi channel 3 patch for bass on a CP4 piano

Reaction score
Help please. I see in the CP4 manual that you can edit and save sounds on the CP4. I want to extend the release time (after note off) on a CP4 bass sound, so that I can use my PK5's to play a bass line (midi channel 3). The manual is not too clear. I'm hoping someone can give me advice please. I am pretty good with setting up midi stuff but this one has got me baffled. I'm trying to eliminate carrying an extra synth to generate my bass sounds. Thanks folks.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Are you trying to use a Voice or a Performance? I'm not sure whether it matters, but it might help me look in the most appropriate sections of the manuals.

Reaction score
Hello SeaGtGruff, thank you so much for this. I have to rush out now but will come back with a complete explanation of what I'm trying to achieve. Malcolm

Reaction score
Good morning from England,
I’ll try to give you a description of what I need to achieve with my PK5 bass pedal and my Yamaha CP4 piano.
I have reached the stage where I can select a Performance with say, 2 layers and a split, and with my bass pedals set to send on midi channel 3, and great it all works. I require just piano and bass, so all I need to do is edit the bass sound to extend the release time after key off. The PK5s can be set to mono. What I can’t work out is whether the bass sound needs to be edited and saved as just a single bass sound and THEN inserted into the performance or whether the edit is done AFTER the performance is created. As I’ve said, everything I have is hunky dory except that I have no ‘sustain’ after key off on the PK5s. Thanks. Malcolm

Reaction score
Good morning from England,
I’ll try to give you a description of what I need to achieve with my PK5 bass pedal and my Yamaha CP4 piano.
I have reached the stage where I can select a Performance with say, 2 layers and a split, and with my bass pedals set to send on midi channel 3, and great it all works. I require just piano and bass, so all I need to do is edit the bass sound to extend the release time after key off. The PK5s can be set to mono. What I can’t work out is whether the bass sound needs to be edited and saved as just a single bass sound and THEN inserted into the performance or whether the edit is done AFTER the performance is created. As I’ve said, everything I have is hunky dory except that I have no ‘sustain’ after key off on the PK5s. Thanks. Malcolm
I should add that up to now I haven’t been able to edit and save any patch on the CP4. When successful, will/is the edited patch saved internally or on the external usd stick.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check the insert FX in your manual.

If it’s capable of it you’ll know.

Otherwise it’s doable with separate line and auxiliary outputs and an FX pedal like the Zoom MS-70cdr.

Again if you have assignable outputs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Happyrat, hello and thanks. There are no assignable outs on my CP4 piano. But that’s not really a problem. Everything works how I want it. The only problem I need to solve is:- How do I save an edited patch and then assign that sound into a Performance? I’m one of those old school piano and organ players who can play an adequate bass pedal line in most styles. I have a Roland JV1080 which I’m using to generate the bass at the moment. I am trying to eliminate having to carry and set up an extra synth just for that bass sound. One I’ve been able to satisfactorily edit and save my chosen bass sound on the CP4 I’ll be happy. Yes, there are only two outs on the CP4 (a stereo pair), but there are sliders to control the volume (s).
malcolm

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Search youtube for Yamaha CP4 tutorials.

They will teach you the controls of the entire board in less time than it would take to type.

A video is worth 10^6 words, :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Happyrat1…..hey thanks. where are you in Canada. My first gig on a ship was 1969. Liverpool to Montreal. Canadian Pacific Empress of Canada.
I’ll recheck the videos.
malcolm

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Born in Montreal. Transplanted to Ontario decades ago. The language police kicked me out of the province :p

They may seem nice to tourists but they're hell to live with.

And in in 1969 I was a few years too young to go to woodstock :(

Check google and youtube when you need a quick course in anything.

It's hard to keep up with the technology curve in our golden years and youtube is our greatest asset.

Welcome to keyboardforums btw. We're all friendly here and have a few big league working musicians drop in now and again, but usually keep a low profile. (Unless they are looking for an ego boost :D :D :D )

Everyone here is eager to help and offer different resources according to their abilities.

And we also get plenty of noobs as well so we cater to every level of expertise.

Your response warmed the cockles of my heart today.

It's sad how many times people ask a question, receive an answer and can't be bothered to write "thanks" :mad:

Or if you made a simple error they can be all too quick to lash out. :p

Anyway, you're very welcome and have a nice evening. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ha yes , I remember some "french" problems when I Montreal. Ha ha .....

We still have the same problems when we cross just those 20 miles from Dover to Calais.

Ask a Question