Yamaha Clavinova CLP-30 (from 1985) has a silent key. Safe to take it apart and use an air compressor to clean it?

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-30 from 1985. Until last week, it worked just fine, though I noticed that the G above Middle C had become quieter over the last month. Now, it has stopped sounding altogether. I have seen some tutorials about taking Clavinovas apart to fix a silent key, but in those situations, there was trauma (such as soda spilled into it, or the Clavinova had been knocked over; in the first case, the keys needed to have soda cleaned off of them, and in the other, there was a chip of one of the white keys that was lodged in the mechanism). I'm thinking, could it be dust or lint? Would it be safe to take the casing off an use an air compressor, or canned air, to try to clean it? Any advise would be much appreciated!

I've already unplugged it for safety, and I took off the front trim. I did find dust inside, and cleaned it. I'm much more nervous about taking the back off.

I also don't actually know how to take the cover/casing off. The videos I've seen are, unsurprisingly, for much newer models, and there were changes in the construction.

Ask a Question