Yamaha e323 MIDI setup

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to MIDI, and so I am trying to connect my Casio DH-100 Saxophone to my Yamaha e323 keypboard via MIDI, and although it is working, I am only getting the voice of the Grand Piano (Voice #1) coming out of the keyboard. I would like to get the Tenor Sax voice (#63). How can I do that? Apparently I need to change the program channel number to say # 67, but I can't figure out how to do it. Any suggestions please? Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will work, but try it and see...

Connect the DH-100 to your PSR-E323 and play it. You should get the Grand Piano voice.

Next, select whichever keyboard voice you actually want to use, and play some keys on the keyboard to verify that they're using the voice you selected. (The DH-100 will still sound like a Grand Piano.)

Now press and hold the VOICE button for a couple of seconds, which activates the "SONG MELODY VOICE" feature (see page 52 of the Owner's Manual). If it works, the DH-100 should now use the selected voice.

If it doesn't work, I have another idea that might.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for replying so fast!!! I tried it, and when I press and hold the Voice button, it does not go to " Song Melody Voice" (does not change). But this feature works normally when I am not using MIDI. Still getting the Grand Piano voice when I play my saxophone.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
What happens if you put the keyboard into SONG mode first? That is, press SONG and select one of the built-in songs as though you are going to play it, but don't actually start the playback. Then select the desired voice, activate the Song Melody Voice feature, and see if the notes from the DH-100 play using the selected voice.

Reaction score
Yessss! It works! Not exactly in the same sequence as you mentioned, but kept trying until I got the Sax Voice out of the keyboard. Thank you very much!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You're welcome! I guess the Song Melody Voice feature only works a certain way.

What order did you have to use? Was it perhaps
(1) select the desired voice,
(2) press SONG to enter Song mode,
(3) press and hold VOICE to turn on the Song Melody Voice feature, then
(4) play the external controller?

Also, are you able to select a different voice to play on the keyboard (step 1 all by itself) without losing the voice you'd previously selected for the external controller?

Reaction score
I did the following:
1. Select a Song, it comes up with Grand Piano.
2. Press Voice and hold, then select Tenor Sax as a Song Melody. but when I play the DH-100 I still get the Grand Piano on the keyboard.
3. Press and hold Voice one more time, then the Sax sound comes through to the keyboard.

But now I have another challenge. I would like to use the Style feature to play a drum beat, at the same time while playing my HD-100 and getting the Sax sound through. But as soon as I switch to Style, the Grand Piano voice comes back when I play the Sax. Any ideas? Or maybe I am trying to get too much out of the old e323? I purchased it in 2004!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Step 2 should be to just press and release VOICE so you can choose the desired voice.

Step 3 (after you've chosen the desired voice) is when you press and hold VOICE so it copies the selected voice from step 2 into the Song Melody Voice. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You can try the following to see if it works:

(1) Press and release VOICE, then select the voice you want to use for the external controller.

(2) Press and release STYLE, then select the style you want to use.

(3) Press and hold VOICE to copy the voice selected in step 1 to the Song Melody Voice. (I'm not sure this will work as I'm hoping.)

Does that work?

Reaction score
It did not work. when I press and hold Voice in step 3, nothing happens. Then when I press Style and start playing the DH-100, it goes back to Grand Piano. It seems that pressing and holding Voice only works when you are in the Song mode.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of-- and you can't be in Style mode and Song mode at the same time.

Ask a Question