Dual Keys Midi Controller Keyboard

Reaction score
Just an update : I have installed https://ardour.org/ on a tablet PC and have been using this as the soundmodule for the Alesis Q49 past month. So far, it is working out well for me. I’m able to do what I need with this combination and it is easy to carry around.

At somepoint, i need to update Alesis Q49. @SeaGtGruff , you had suggested "Novation Launchkey 49 Mk3”. Do you know if this has transpose button? or would you have any reco for a midi keyboard that has transpose and layering buttons? (There are ways to do that on ardour, but would prefer to do it on the keyboard)

Reaction score
Most non-88 key controllers have transpose buttons (they shift the MIDI Note on/off values). You can see pictures of the front panels of any given model by looking on sites like sweetwater, thomann, etc.

Layer is not actually a MIDI function per se, but a layer button is not necessary to layer... you can layer with any controller that permits you to transmit on 2 (or more) channels simultaneously (aka a multi-zone MIDI controller). If it can transmit on two channels, it can layer two sounds, if it can transmit on 4 channels it can layer 4 sounds, etc. That assumes you're controlling a multi-timbral audio source (something that can trigger different sounds on different MIDI channels).

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
According to the downloadable user manual, the Octave buttons can also be used to transpose the keyboard:

Pressing the Octave buttons will increment and decrement the keyboard octave by 1. The available octaves range from C-2 to C8. Shift pressing the Octave buttons will transpose the keyboard by up or down by one semitone.

Edit: The Novation Launchkey 49 Mk3 does look pretty nice as far as its features. I'm tempted to grab one for myself, or maybe the 37-key model.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Go to the bottom of the product page:

Where it says "Need help with your Launchkey 49?" click the button that says "Downloads and manuals."

That should pop up the following manual:

On page 54 are the "Weight and Dimensions," which say that the Launchkey 49 weighs "3.1kg (6.84lbs)."

I don't know whether that manual might be for an older version than the Mk3, but it is the manual which comes up when you click on that button, and the physical dimensions listed in the manual seem to match the ones given on the product page. [Edit: I just noticed that the filename for the PDF of the manual includes "MK3" in it, so it would appear to be the correct manual.]

Is it possible that the weight mentioned by the stores is for the box with everything in it, and not for just the controller itself?

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 2.37.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 2.37.27 PM.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Just to update here, I took @SeaGtGruff 's suggestion and went with Novation LaunchKey 49.

I had a small Linux Tablet PC, on which I installed Ardour (http://ardour.org/)
Screenshot at 2024-06-12 16-57-58.png
and use it for producing music.

I have been using the controller with ardour for few weeks now and things are fine so far.

Ask a Question