Has the Yamaha psr Forum Closed?

Reaction score
Yesterday, the Yamaha psr website put up this announcement.

Note: the FORUM is no longer available!

Anyone have any information?

Reaction score
Hi Biggles

Yes... The SITE is still up, but if you scroll over to the right to the Main Home Page, you'll see the announcement.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I haven't kept up with their forums in a while, so I haven't heard anything about it.

Reaction score
Roger Brenizer said it was closed. IDK why. Odd it just closed... could be money or the server upgrade won't run the old software?

Reaction score
It is interesting, because during the big IT crash some weeks ago PSRTutorial didn't work for a couple of days at all, then it worked again, but last posts were missing there (maybe refreshed an older backup). Then outages happened occasionally. And today this announcement...

Reaction score
Hi Lacko

Keith (Divemaster here) from the psr forum.

Yes it's weird. No information or anything. Fortunately I now only have my Korg Pa5X but it would be very sad if the PSR forum has actually finished. It's a great website, and THAT is still there, but the Forum is what really helped many many members, me included to solve problems and share info.

Let's hope for its return.

Reaction score
Server compatibility issues
IMG_5407.png

Reaction score
Here's the response i got from Joe Waters:
The PSR Tutorial has been around for 20 years. The forum ran into some software update issues. It has thrived for so long primarily because of the support from Roger. The main site is still operating, but that, too, is likely to go away in the next few months. I am wearing out (eyes, ears, brain) and I am not inclined to renew our server contract for another year.
The forum was so valuable to new PSR owners like myself, and contained a wealth of information for reference. IDK where the many members can go to get answers and learn about the PSR and Genos particulars.

Reaction score
Hi Lacko

Keith (Divemaster here) from the psr forum.

Yes it's weird. No information or anything. Fortunately I now only have my Korg Pa5X but it would be very sad if the PSR forum has actually finished. It's a great website, and THAT is still there, but the Forum is what really helped many many members, me included to solve problems and share info.

Let's hope for its return.
Hi Keith,
I wish you much joy with PA5X and happy life in your new house.
It would be nice if psr forum survived, but it is (like always) about money, money, money...
Lacko

Reaction score
Thanks Lacko 🙂

Looks like it's on the way out, which is a great shame.
I understand from Maarkrs post that Joe is ageing, and it's been a big stretch to keep it going. Roger Brenizer has been hugely helpful too, as have many others.
But we all age and unfortunately there just don't seem to be any younger members with either the knowledge or commitment to carry it forward.

Take care my friend Loving my Pa5X! 😂

Reaction score
One thing you can say about Korg is that whilst they have no official involvement with the forum they do host the Korg Forum on their own Servers.

Which probably explains why it gies offline from time to time.

Reaction score
I'd like to help resurrect the forum (or similar thing) if it can happen. A big issue is finding all members and getting some new forum software and server site. If I can't get help from former moderators and admin idk if I can do it myself.

Reaction score
I contacted Joe Waters and his health is to bad and can't fix the forum. Roger was running the forum and Joe sent me his email address. I just emailed him asking if he was working on starting a new forum and if so can I help in some way. I also asked if he was not planning on starting a new forum to please let me know that decision too and I will pass that information along.

Reaction score
This is the latest from PSR.

Note: FORUM update: Our forum software in not compatible with the most recent server upgrade; therefore, we are closing the forum. You may still read existing topics and comments; however, you cannot reply, nor can you start a new topic. You can still download files from our forum, provided the member who uploaded said file(s) is still maintaining their online storage account. This capability may last through November of this year. Thanks to each and every member who has contributed to this great resource over the last 21 years. We wish all of you well with your future endeavors. Our best regards, -- Roger Brenizer (PSR Tutorial Forum Administrator) and Joe Waters (PSR Tutorial Administrator).

Reaction score
yes, PSRTutorial is now gone. It was a treasured resource for 20 years, a lot of us are really sad to see it go. Still trying to see which forum overover (Chris) and pjd end up using. Good to see you, Drake!

Basically exactly what Maakr said: as per Roger, server upgrade won't run the old software, they refused to roll back the update, so end of story. Yes they were about to announce the end either this year or possibly even another year, but didn't really get a chance to announce anything thanks to their hosting service breaking their forum (it seems kind of crazy to me, that the server hosting folks don't realize that if they make a forum unusable, they themselves now lose a long term customer.

Mark

Reaction score
I am waiting to here back from Joe and Roger if it would be okay to re-Use the PSR name and some of the site's lessons pages to rebuilt a new forum and a smaller website. About 30 years ago I created a free forum and free site and it wasn't easy (maybe is it now a days) but I don't remember how I did it. I am also not sure if a free forum and free website service would allow enough traffic to the site.

Reaction score
They were actually hoping someone else would take the mantle, so I think that would be great! Mind you, Saul from YamahaMusicians has offered them to host using old server software, so they'll probably need to decide that first. But if they pass, I think it would be wonderful for a longtime PSRTutorial member to take up the mantle, so to speak. So I hope if they pass on Saul's offer, that they allow you to!

Mark

Ask a Question