Has the Yamaha psr Forum Closed?

Reaction score
glad to see familiar faces encouraging the continuation of the forum. I hadn't thought about it, but Mark's idea of having an older server (Saul at Yamaha Musicians?) pick up the forum in its current state would be ideal. I have some IT credentials, not extensive experience but if I can help, send me some info. I'm also retired and not TOO old so I can put some time into helping.

Reaction score
I've been absent from here for quite some time due to an accident that badly affected my left hand. I'm now in the rebuilding stage and purchased a PSR-EW310 to get it working again. The plan is, if all goes well, to upgrade to a better PSR, so i would like to see the Forum re-establised/continue for all PSR owners including myself. Really surprises me that this has happened seeing as there are so many PSR owners. I don't know how this works, but I would have thought that Yamaha would offer some assistance?
Don

Reaction score
Hi, how incredibly sad. What a loss to the Yamaha community.
Seems kind of brain dead that Yamaha themselves don’t want some sort of involvement to try keep it going.
All that information and resources down the drain if it’s not thrown a life line. It’s not just a chat group,it’s where owners could go to try and get help if needed.
Haven’t spent a great deal of time there lately, I’ve had bursts of participation over the last 20 years, usually when a new keyboard is on the horizon. The fun and excitement of being able chat about a new purchase, whether it was needed or not. Most of the time not. 😁 Usually sold a perfectly good keyboard, just to get the latest model, a few new styles, some new sounds and possibly some new functions.
I’m probably not alone as far as buying a new keyboard that’s not really needed😁, but that I think I must have.

The one thing that Yamaha really had going for it vs Korg, was the psr tutorial/forum sites. Korg forums, sure we can get help, some styles provided by Korg, but, it doesn’t have the thousands and thousands of styles for members to download, provided by dedicated members of the forum.

Hopefully something can be sorted.

Reaction score
Hi, how incredibly sad. What a loss to the Yamaha community.
Seems kind of brain dead that Yamaha themselves don’t want some sort of involvement to try keep it going.
All that information and resources down the drain if it’s not thrown a life line. It’s not just a chat group,it’s where owners could go to try and get help if needed.
Haven’t spent a great deal of time there lately, I’ve had bursts of participation over the last 20 years, usually when a new keyboard is on the horizon. The fun and excitement of being able chat about a new purchase, whether it was needed or not. Most of the time not. 😁 Usually sold a perfectly good keyboard, just to get the latest model, a few new styles, some new sounds and possibly some new functions.
I’m probably not alone as far as buying a new keyboard that’s not really needed😁, but that I think I must have.

The one thing that Yamaha really had going for it vs Korg, was the psr tutorial/forum sites. Korg forums, sure we can get help, some styles provided by Korg, but, it doesn’t have the thousands and thousands of styles for members to download, provided by dedicated members of the forum.

Hopefully something can be sorted.

Agree re Korg.

There are some great Tutorials available via the Korg Forum members with Qui Robinez being the one who comes to mind automatically. His Youtube channel:-

There is a free Korg Pa resource site available on the Korg UK website.

Reaction score
I take the point of there being many thousands of Styles on the PSR site. But thanks to the generosity of a member of the Korg Forum, as well as all the Factory Styles and Bonus Styles, I also have many hundreds of styles from all previous Korg Pa models installed on my Pa5X.... All play very well... so more than enough to keep me happy for a very long time.
I've already started making up my own playlists with music that I enjoy playing, and with styles that really show off this super keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi Biggles,
yes, very aware of Qui’s tutorials , he does a wonderful job .

What is sad , is, if all the stuff disappears from the Yamaha tutorial site , literally thousands of styles. 20 years of factory styles , all the way up to Genos2 , People generously donated Gig disks, heaps of song specific styles etc. We don’t have that with Korg.

I was crazy enough to go thru approx 4,000 to 5000 Yamaha factory styles and sort out duplicates. Only ended up with 592 that weren’t on my sx900, but, hopefully it saved some of the members doing the same😁.

Then you have members like Jorgen who wrote much needed software. Free. At least his stuff won’t disappear , he has his own site,as long as new owners can find it.

My point is, it was an amazing community, it would be awfully sad if it disappeared.

Reaction score
In addition to the PSR forum leaving, YamahaKeyboardForum also suddenly disappeared without any warning about nine or ten months ago. YKF was a smaller forum in comparison, however, it did have a number of knowledgeable members who provided an abundance of information on Yamaha keyboards, most noticeably Yamaha arrangers in particular.

Does anybody know what happened to them?

Reaction score
I take the point of there being many thousands of Styles on the PSR site. But thanks to the generosity of a member of the Korg Forum, as well as all the Factory Styles and Bonus Styles, I also have many hundreds of styles from all previous Korg Pa models installed on my Pa5X.... All play very well... so more than enough to keep me happy for a very long time.
I've already started making up my own playlists with music that I enjoy playing, and with styles that really show off this super keyboard.

Hi, great to hear you’re enjoying your Korg. Yes, I’ve collected factory styles for my Korg also over many years. Some play really well, some of the early ones strangely enough don’t.
Unless the generous person who posted them , sorted thru them, you may find you may have a few duplicates. A number of the bonus styles, eventually were put on the next model keyboard and not necessarily called by the same name.
From one model to the next, a lot of the styles are duplicated also.
Makes it hard sorting thru when they use different names for the same style.
One of these days I’ll finish sorting thru the Korg styles as well, 😟

Reaction score
In addition to the PSR forum leaving, YamahaKeyboardForum also suddenly disappeared without any warning. YKF was a smaller forum in comparison, however, it did have a number of knowledgeable members who provided an abundance of information on Yamaha keyboards, most noticeably Yamaha arrangers in particular.

Hi , was that the one that was run by Eileen?

Reaction score
In addition to the PSR forum leaving, YamahaKeyboardForum also suddenly disappeared without any warning about nine or ten months ago. YKF was a smaller forum in comparison, however, it did have a number of knowledgeable members who provided an abundance of information on Yamaha keyboards, most noticeably Yamaha arrangers in particular.

Hi Steve

If this was the forum that Eileen Lowery ran, then sadly she had to close it some weeks ago due to her own ill health. If it was the Yamaha CLUB, that one closed about a year ago when the owner of it retired.
It's all very sad! 😔

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Biggles,

What is sad , is, if all the stuff disappears from the Yamaha tutorial site , literally thousands of styles. 20 years of factory styles , all the way up to Genos2 , People generously donated Gig disks, heaps of song specific styles etc. We don’t have that with Korg.

I was crazy enough to go thru approx 4,000 to 5000 Yamaha factory styles and sort out duplicates. Only ended up with 592 that weren’t on my sx900, but, hopefully it saved some of the members doing the same😁.

Then you have members like Jorgen who wrote much needed software. Free. At least his stuff won’t disappear , he has his own site,as long as new owners can find it.

My point is, it was an amazing community, it would be awfully sad if it disappeared.
Yes, it is very sad when any friendly Music Forum closes doubly so when there are so many resources available.

I do hope another Yamaha aficionado can get it migrated to an appropriate server.

Reaction score

Hi Steve,
I was a member of the Yamaha Keyboard Forum and liked it as well as PSRTutorial. I believe it originated in the UK. I think I recall your name and photo on there. You should have received an email notice before they shut the site down. I believe the founders thought it had run its course after over a decade and there was probably a financial cost to keep it going. Kev was one of the knowledgeable people and performers on there. FYI, he has started a small Facebook group called Yamaha Keyboards and Friends if you are interested in joining that.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi Steve

If this was the forum that Eileen Lowery ran, then sadly she had to close it some weeks ago due to her own ill health. If it was the Yamaha CLUB, that one closed about a year ago when the owner of it retired.
It's all very sad! 😔
Hi Keith (Divemaster),
I recognize your name from PSR Tutorial. This is Rich from that forum. I was quite active over there starting right after my SX900 purchase a year and a half ago. I learned a ton on how to use my SX900 from the folks over there.

Regarding the forum Steve mentioned, you can read my full response to him. The Yamaha Keyboard Forum is not the one Eileen ran.

Rich

Reaction score
Hi Biggles,

Rikki,

I remember your name on the PSR Tutorial site. Thank you for your efforts with those SX900 styles you posted. I will miss that forum as I got lots of help there learning the specifics of the SX900 operating system.

Rich

Reaction score
glad to see familiar faces encouraging the continuation of the forum. I hadn't thought about it, but Mark's idea of having an older server (Saul at Yamaha Musicians?) pick up the forum in its current state would be ideal. I have some IT credentials, not extensive experience but if I can help, send me some info. I'm also retired and not TOO old so I can put some time into helping.
Maarkr,
I would also love to see PSR Tutorial forum continue. Not only was it a great resource but the people who regularly contributed and answered questions there were invaluable.

Trying to gather all these people in one place again could be a big challenge. I personally think creating a temporary Facebook group would be one way to gather these people and collect feedback on the details of next steps in planning a continuation of the forum. Or maybe people can continue to gather here on this forum. Or maybe someone like you who has the technical ability can work on taking over the server or new hosting platform.

Regarding Facebook groups, I don't think they are nearly as quality as a dedicated forum website such as this one or PSRTutorial. Facebook is just too large of a platform and people get distracted easily on it and tend not to participate as much in my opinion. I notice even groups of 13,000 people don't have as much participation as they should have.

Rich

Reaction score
Rikki,

I remember your name on the PSR Tutorial site. Thank you for your efforts with those SX900 styles you posted. I will miss that forum as I got lots of help there learning the specifics of the SX900 operating system.

Rich
Hi Rich, thank you. It’s good to know some of the members got use out of them. I literally played through every single one of them, just to try and make sure I didn’t delete any that might have had identical names, but weren‘t a complete duplicate, also I tried to pick the best sounding version for the sx 900.

Reaction score
Hi Rich, thank you. It’s good to know some of the members got use out of them. I literally played through every single one of them, just to try and make sure I didn’t delete any that might have had identical names, but weren‘t a complete duplicate, also I tried to pick the best sounding version for the sx 900.
Hi Keith (Divemaster),
I recognize your name from PSR Tutorial. This is Rich from that forum. I was quite active over there starting right after my SX900 purchase a year and a half ago. I learned a ton on how to use my SX900 from the folks over there.

Regarding the forum Steve mentioned, you can read my full response to him. The Yamaha Keyboard Forum is not the one Eileen ran.

Hi Mindfulplayer
Great to see another PSR member here, and it shows the level of support for that forum.
But we must all move on, and although I now play the Korg Pa5X, this forum is very good, and the Korg Forum is very helpful.

I for one would never use or trust Facebook.

Keep playing, keep learning, Keep Happy
Keith

Last edited:

Ask a Question