Keyboard Stands - how much "overhang"?

Reaction score
Hello!

Apologies in advance for the noob question but I wanted to check before ordering, just in case I'm missing anything!

My keyboard is 130 cm wide and the stand I'm looking to buy is only 100cm wide, so there'll be a 15cm overhang on each side.

The keyboard weighs 15kg so I think it'll be study enough - does anyone have experience of either why this may be a bad idea, or some reassurance that's it's pretty standard?

Also, there's no screw fixes - should I also be looking at makeshift fittings like rubber pads or anything, or is the weight generally enough to prevent any movement whilst playing?

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
X stand or Z stand?

An X stand with a full 88 board on top is quite unstable.

A Z stand spanning about 36 - 40 " is good for any keyboard, weighted or unweighted and is held in place by its own weight.

Reaction score
The overhang is quite normal. I had a stand with two additional keyboards above. The largest keyboard on bottom had an overhang at least 15 cm each side as it was an 88-key Roland. The weight of this keyboard help provide a lot of stability to the structure. The other two keyboards were only 61-keys. There was less overhang with these keyboards. On the bottom keyboard as well as the two above, there were rubber strips on the bars to help eliminate any type of horizontal movement. If any of the supports you do get does not have a rubberized coating or strip, I would suggest adding something along those lines to the supports.
For a second keyboard, you might want to consider supports like these as it looks to support changing the tilt angle for the keyboard.
1719249812179.jpeg

I have not used this type before but noticed the ability to change the angle of the keyboard to make the keyboard more accessible than if the keyboard is horizontal like the bottom keyboard. Maybe others have experience this type. The ones I used had an angle that could not be changed.

Reaction score
Z Stands are good if you have a medium to heavy board on the 1st tier. If your 2nd tier board is heavier you will have stability problems.

Reaction score
Hello!

Apologies in advance for the noob question but I wanted to check before ordering, just in case I'm missing anything!

My keyboard is 130 cm wide and the stand I'm looking to buy is only 100cm wide, so there'll be a 15cm overhang on each side.

The keyboard weighs 15kg so I think it'll be study enough - does anyone have experience of either why this may be a bad idea, or some reassurance that's it's pretty standard?

Also, there's no screw fixes - should I also be looking at makeshift fittings like rubber pads or anything, or is the weight generally enough to prevent any movement whilst playing?

Thanks!
I moved from a Yamaha s-80 (53 lbs.) to a Yamaha moXF8 (33lbs.). The s-80 never moved on my stand. The moxf8 moved a lot. Velcro on both the stand and the bottom of the keyboard was the easy fix for me.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Studio-23-20230108T153034-0004.JPG

Top tier center Prophet rev 2. Weight approx ~25 lbs.

Bottom tier center, Kurzweil PC3K8. Weight 54 lbs.

Stability issue is dealt with by backwall support.

Stand is Onstage 2 tier Z, rated at 450 lbs.

This was my go to rig for decades. :)

Reaction score
X stand or Z stand?

An X stand with a full 88 board on top is quite unstable.

A Z stand spanning about 36 - 40 " is good for any keyboard, weighted or unweighted and is held in place by its own weight.

I use a double braced X stand with my 88 key Kurzweil PC4 all the time - it's totally stable. Of course, the PC4 only weighs 28.7 lbs!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Looks like the stands didn't have a horizontal bar connecting the two sides of the stand. It would have prevented a lot of the FAILS in the video.
I own a cross braced X-stand I bought from Radio Shack 30 years ago.

It's the only X Stand I trust and still use today is on the triple rack to the right of the photo. I added the second and third tiers years later but the biggest board I have on there is a 49 key Hydrasynth, with a 37 key Sequential Take 5 on the second tier and an Argentia Keystep Pro up on the tippy top nosebleed section. Highly unstable free standing but it's supported at the rear by the backrest of my couch.

I haven't seen another one built that way on the market anywhere since.

Every other X Stand I've seen since is some sort of toothed friction locking mechanism that's easy on, easy off.

Ask a Question