Keyboard Stands - how much "overhang"?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not seeing any photo.
It's cropped on the right side of the photo. It's the triple tier to the right.

The stand itself is unremarkable.

I don't have a good pic on this computer. I'll have to add it to this post when I get a chance.
Studio-2023-IMG_0912-20230109T083630-0026.JPG

There ya go.

Reaction score
It's cropped on the right side of the photo. It's the triple tier to the right.

The stand itself is unremarkable.

I don't have a good pic on this computer. I'll have to add it to this post when I get a chance.View attachment 3434

There ya go.
Thanks! I didn't realize you were referring to the picture in your earlier post. Somehow, I thought it was meant to be attached to the last one. Good setup but yep, that stand would be struggle a bit with an 88 on top. Unfortunately, I don't have the space to permanently set my gear up so the Pa1000 is the only keyboard in use just now.

Reaction score
The one that I had when I had my three keyboards was made of steel. It was heavy duty and it had a piece that connected one side to the other with a small metal bar that held them from moving. I had a Roland HS-60 board on the bottom and it was very heavy. I had a Juno 6 on top and a Korg DS-8 in the middle. I believe that's what they were. It's been a very long time since I've had them. The supports for the upper keyboards were also heavy and just had a screw to tighten to hold them in the vertical position. There wasn't a horizontal rod connecting them together. Only the keyboards helped to keep them vertical.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That looks acceptable, but I'm not crazy about the single crossbar used for a brace.

My onstage uses a double crossbar on the base and a third crossbar for the second tier.

The single crossbar has to resist a lot of torque if you try and move it while loaded.

Here's the one I'm using.

5171+KagHZL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Btw, I own two of these, one originally paid about $120 CDN 30 years ago and the other about $170 CDN about 6 years ago.

Interesting story...

The second one arrived with a defective weld in the top tier.

I emailed them a photo and the receipt and they shipped me an entire new stand instead of the defective part!!!

I ended up selling off the defective one as a fixer upper for $0.50 on the dollar and pocketing the difference.

Anyway, inflation's been crazier for longer than you'd think. :)

Reaction score
Have used numerous types. Didn't care for the "X" stands that I used, seemed unstable. Still have and use a "table type stand" as you call it. It's getting old and not as sturdy as it used to be but still plenty useful in the home studio. I don't travel with it anymore. It's very stable side to side, not quite as much front to back but not bad. Way better than the X stands I've used, especially on soft carpet. Gigging is 100% with "Z stands" at this point. I like them quite a lot and they seem very stable to me. One is an "On Stage" brand, lighter duty and a bit smaller but practical when space is tight or I'm using my smaller keyboard. The other is a Roland Z stand that is much heavier / beefier and a bit larger. I've not had any issue with either of them. I do have the attachments for the On Stage to add a second tier but really have not found that to be all that useful to me, at least not yet. There may come a day when it will.

Reaction score
Have used numerous types. Didn't care for the "X" stands that I used, seemed unstable. Still have and use a "table type stand" as you call it. It's getting old and not as sturdy as it used to be but still plenty useful in the home studio. I don't travel with it anymore. It's very stable side to side, not quite as much front to back but not bad. Way better than the X stands I've used, especially on soft carpet. Gigging is 100% with "Z stands" at this point. I like them quite a lot and they seem very stable to me. One is an "On Stage" brand, lighter duty and a bit smaller but practical when space is tight or I'm using my smaller keyboard. The other is a Roland Z stand that is much heavier / beefier and a bit larger. I've not had any issue with either of them. I do have the attachments for the On Stage to add a second tier but really have not found that to be all that useful to me, at least not yet. There may come a day when it will.

The trouble with the Roland Z stand that I has is that they did not make a second Tier.

Ask a Question