New to Roland/playing keyboards

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a used Roland Fantom, and I really love it. I can't really play, but I feel this instrument will really serve me well in my music. I have been playing guitar for over 40 years, but I have always been intreged by synths because of Rush primarily at any early age. I also bought a Korg Trinity 15-16 years ago, but sold it because it didn't really feel right. I never properly learned guitar when I was young due to being poor. I'm mainly ear trained. I didn't want to do that with learning keys. I have started watching vidoes on YT that start with beginner stuff and go through theory. I want to do it right, and hopefully some of it will even help on guitar. Is there anything you, as a new player find that has really kick started your playing knowledge? I have already picked up my major/minor chords, 5 chords, and 7th chords. I know how to read notes (VERY slowly) on sheet music, and can SLOWLY do major and minor scales. I just can't retain enough of what I learn right now. I think the problem is my guitar past. I'm able to understand what is being said because of my past with guitar, but due to the way I learned guitar even though I get what is being said, it is still new information to my brain.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_2141.jpg

Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat except that I come from a classical piano background and have played in cover bands back in the late 90's. Having used several keyboard synths in the past but my rig back then was a Roland XP-50 and Korg X5D. I have been learning guitar on my own for the past 2 years and can say I am able to play decent enough to play alongside a singer on stage if need be. Majority of my learning came from youtube tutorials and playing guitar chords over and over on several favorite songs. I guess the only way you can improve is by getting used to playing by repetition and memorization until your muscle memory kicks in. It's kind of like learning to snow board after being used to skis for several years.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Look in the Beginner section where you will find plenty of useful threads and links.

On Youtube there is a Roland Product Support channel where you will find masses of tutorials on the features of your keyboard, click on the Playlists and there you will find one for the Fantom which has 67 tutorials produced by Ed Diaz who is one of the best Tutors there is.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Reaction score
Step 1 accomplished! Roland make wonderful products and you will have an enjoyable time learning keyboards with the exceptional Fantom. Good luck to you.

Ask a Question