Playing KB and DAW together

Reaction score
The idea of using built in styles from the kb at the command of the DAW
Simple method to quickly create a new song or composition by inserting a chord (progression) in the DAW and chose a style on the KB.
Tested with a Technics KN6000 and the old cakewalk DAW
Should also work with other KB branch and DAW.
If interested let me know
Big advantage for singer song (re)writers like me
Lot of fun

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, some keyboard models (such as those in the PSR-E series from Yamaha) won't let you control the style playback using external MIDI commands, so it wouldn't work on those models. :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Most arrangers and low end workstations either won't send accompaniment outright or require complicated file translation gymnastics on some of the more expensive models.

Manufacturers are trying their damnedest to drop the old MIDI standards and lock you into their exclusive environment these days where professional features raise the price at a rate of 5% per feature on their product lines.

Be thankful your dumb old technics still has the feature and never sell it off until you die and are buried with it. Real MIDI is worth its weight in gold.

Case in point, I just picked up a Korg EK-50 to mess around with and discovered a very obvious lack of DIN MIDI ports.

I haven't hooked it up to any computers yet and will probably end up never but all my previous Forays into Korg territory have required the installation of horrendous and buggy driver and operating software upon my computer which I'd just as soon rather not deal with.

If I were to venture an educated guess after glancing at the manual I'd really be shocked if this this thing transmitted accompaniment sequences via even the lousy USB MIDI it ships with.

Another example of how predatory Korg is?

They sell an $800 "professional" keyboard without a lousy power adapter?!?!?!? And no DIN MIDI to add insult to injury.

I have 30 days to test and evaluate this thing but seriously I'm supposed to run it on 8AA Cells??!?!?!?

The bean counters over at Yamaha must have assimilated Korg Execs in their sleep. :p

Reaction score
Unfortunately, some keyboard models (such as those in the PSR-E series from Yamaha) won't let you control the style playback using external MIDI commands, so it wouldn't work on those models. :(
Hi
Thank you for the reply
I realise that the newer KB have more options with current digital technologie.
Yet I think that there are still many musicians who do not have access to modern equipment and still use older instruments could use this system. Especially those who compose and want to hear the result immediatly.
Just would like to share my experience on topics that you will not find in the manuals.
Kind regards

Reaction score
Most arrangers and low end workstations either won't send accompaniment outright or require complicated file translation gymnastics on some of the more expensive models.

Manufacturers are trying their damnedest to drop the old MIDI standards and lock you into their exclusive environment these days where professional features raise the price at a rate of 5% per feature on their product lines.

Be thankful your dumb old technics still has the feature and never sell it off until you die and are buried with it. Real MIDI is worth its weight in gold.

Case in point, I just picked up a Korg EK-50 to mess around with and discovered a very obvious lack of DIN MIDI ports.

I haven't hooked it up to any computers yet and will probably end up never but all my previous Forays into Korg territory have required the installation of horrendous and buggy driver and operating software upon my computer which I'd just as soon rather not deal with.

If I were to venture an educated guess after glancing at the manual I'd really be shocked if this this thing transmitted accompaniment sequences via even the lousy USB MIDI it ships with.

Another example of how predatory Korg is?

They sell an $800 "professional" keyboard without a lousy power adapter?!?!?!? And no DIN MIDI to add insult to injury.

I have 30 days to test and evaluate this thing but seriously I'm supposed to run it on 8AA Cells??!?!?!?

The bean counters over at Yamaha must have assimilated Korg Execs in their sleep. :p
Hi
Thank you for the reply
I completely agree the comments about the current kb s.
To stay informed about current devices i try to read as many manuals as possible.
And yes my old kb and daw combined with external midi devices and vst s gives me the pleaure of playing and composing (rewriting the old songs) music every day even at the age of 76
Kind regards

Reaction score
Hi
Thank you for the reply
I completely agree the comments about the current kb s.
To stay informed about current devices i try to read as many manuals as possible.
And yes my old kb and daw combined with external midi devices and vst s gives me the pleaure of playing and composing (rewriting the old songs) music every day even at the age of 76
Kind regards

Hey! Same here!
I have a Roland G-800, I bought back in the very early 90's. It's served my purposes for the last 34 years, as a gigging keyboard.
I'm not gigging anymore, but instead I purchased the Studio One DAW, and the BBC's symphony program.
I also bought Cantabile, to run the IK Multimedia's
Bx3 as a stand alone. And, I'll be 80 very soon!

Reaction score
Hi texasboondocks
Nice gear, have fun.
"MUSICIANS DONT RETIRE THEY STOP WHEN THE LAST NOTE IS PLAYED" ( Louis Armstrong)
Regards
Mris

Ask a Question