Yamaha CLP-230 Very strange issue.

Reaction score
Hello first time poster! Im going to link my reddit post with a video of the issue because it a strange one to describe.
But the quick summary is that i have three keys in an octave that make a "metal" like scratch noise that echo BUT and heres the kicker only when on Grand Piano number one. Which is the worst part because Grand piano two sounds horrible.

Any ideas are welcome. Below is a link to my post on the Piano subreddit which got zero traction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/1du5005

Reaction score
Nope just this octave and only on Grand piano 1. I also plugged is some external speakers as I thought it may be an issue with the built ins. Issue persisted.

Reaction score
I did try that and should have mentioned that in my post. Did that a few times to no avail. Such a strange issue. Even when I put the piano on demo mode when a song plays notes from that octave it makes the same noise

Reaction score
That makes it even more weird but at least it rules out any keybed issues. The only other thing I can think of is to open it up, disconnect and reconnect all the plugs and sockets, perhaps spraying them with Deoxit. To be honest, I doubt if it will help but might be worth a shot. Maybe others on the forum will have some further insight that will aid you to resolve the issue.

Reaction score
As well as trying the suggestion made by Biggles, if you have or can borrow another Midi keyboard and cable, you could try connecting them and see if the sound is normal. I would suggest connecting your's first as Master and then as Slave. Just make sure you connect Midi Out on your keyboard to Midi In on the other instrument and follow setup instructions in your manual. Then reverse the connections.

Reaction score
The demo doesn't move the keys at all if that's what your asking. I'm not sure on the technical aspect of how it plays the demo though. If it's just pumping a prerecorded song through the speakers are actually sending signals from the respective keys

Reaction score
That was my first thought as well. So I hooked up some external speakers and wouldn't you know it the issue persisted. Oddly enough only out of the left speaker both with the external speakers and internal

Reaction score
If the same defects come through with headphones, then i suggest replacing the main (DM) board. part # WD88550R

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No. I was thinking of doing that though. But couldn't find where to download it.
Contact Yamaha Support for your country. A search comes up negative. But if anything sounds like a factory defect it's this one. They may even end up emailing you the file directly. More likely though, knowing Yamaha they will ask you to ship it to authorized service in your country at your own expense. Terrible support network :p

Reaction score

Ask a Question