Yamaha CLP-230 Very strange issue.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try posting a request for firmware on different Yamaha forums.

It may have existed once and someone may have an old copy.

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if the samples are corrupted?
I had something weird happen to a flute sound on my pa800 keyboard many years back. One day , just out of the blue, it started making strange sounds. It wasn’t worth sending it off to see if it could be fixed. Being a sampler I just replaced the onboard sample with a soundfont ( I think), anyway , strange noise gone and I had a working flute again.
Unfortunately not an option on a piano.

I have a Roland FP10 piano. Love the keyboard action, don’t like the piano sounds even thru external speakers. I only bought it as a controller for my sx900 keyboard.
Anyway, I decided to take up piano again a few months back. To get a better piano sound I bought some vst’s for my laptop.

Don’t know if that may be an option for you if you can’t get your piano fixed?

You can also get piano sounds for an iPad, though I’ve never really tried using it.

Personally I prefer my laptop.

Reaction score
On an iPad the best piano sound seems to be the Ravenscroft 275, it is also available for Windows and Mac but it is not cheap.

If you have a MacBook then there is the MainStage app that has the sounds of LogicPro.

Still sounds like a corrupt sample to me and if you cannot reload the Firmware it is probably not worth incurring the expense of a Tech repairer given its age.

You could also try looking on websites for any that are for sale

Reaction score
On an iPad the best piano sound seems to be the Ravenscroft 275, it is also available for Windows and Mac but it is not cheap.

If you have a MacBook then there is the MainStage app that has the sounds of LogicPro.

Still sounds like a corrupt sample to me and if you cannot reload the Firmware it is probably not worth incurring the expense of a Tech repairer given its age.

You could also try looking on websites for any that are for sale
Hi Biggles, so you tend to think it may be corrupt samples also? It definitely was in the case of my pa800 and the weird noises the flute was making.

Another Ravenscroft fan . I have it on my PC and to me it sounds superb. Prefer it to my PA5x piano’s for solo piano.
It’s my favourite out of the ones I have.

Reaction score
Hi Biggles, so you tend to think it may be corrupt samples also? It definitely was in the case of my pa800 and the weird noises the flute was making.

Another Ravenscroft fan . I have it on my PC and to me it sounds superb. Prefer it to my PA5x piano’s for solo piano.
It’s my favourite out of the ones I have.
Yep, if it was a board or keybed fault my logic is that it would be there for all the other sounds.

So yes, a sample issue is to me the most likely.

A Tech could probably load a different sample but the issue is finding a Tech and getting it to him as a CLP is not exactly a small keyboard. My nearest independent Tech is 40 miles away.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, the CLP200 series was released at the end of 2005, and discontinued 2008-ish. Yamaha would've had some parts available until around 2018. The warranty would've expired around 2010, unfortunately.

Contact Yamaha Support for your country. A search comes up negative. But if anything sounds like a factory defect it's this one. They may even end up emailing you the file directly. More likely though, knowing Yamaha they will ask you to ship it to authorized service in your country at your own expense. Terrible support network :p
Happyrat, I'd have to disagree; as someone who's been in the retail end of music instruments for 47 years, Yamaha has one of the best support networks, at least in Canada and the USA. Curious, what makes you say otherwise? In the GTA, however, you're treated with the best dealer support for Yamaha, Roland and Kawai. (Local support is a bit lacking for the latter 2 here in BC)

Mark

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, the CLP200 series was released at the end of 2005, and discontinued 2008-ish. Yamaha would've had some parts available until around 2018. The warranty would've expired around 2010, unfortunately.

Happyrat, I'd have to disagree; as someone who's been in the retail end of music instruments for 47 years, Yamaha has one of the best support networks, at least in Canada and the USA. Curious, what makes you say otherwise? In the GTA, however, you're treated with the best dealer support for Yamaha, Roland and Kawai. (Local support is a bit lacking for the latter 2 here in BC)

Mark
Tell them you're trying to connect to Linux and see how far you'll get :p

Reaction score
LOL ok, that's fair... no, they don't have a lot of *user* support, but they have the *best* warranty support.

That's what the forums are for ;)

*I* can't even answer Linux questions anymore.... last time I used it was on a Silicon Graphics Onyx to do my 3d rendering course... 30 years ago! I haven't coded C/C+ in 22 years...

Mark

Ask a Question