A portion of keys stopped functioning (keystation 88)

Reaction score
hello everyone.
so a few days ago I opened up my M-Audio keystation 88 to clean the insides of my midi and only took the white keys out cleaned things up and then put it all back together but when I connected it to my computer I realised that the keys C#4 to G#4 all have stopped working.
I have tried tried unplugging the keys from the board and re-plugging them and I'm pretty sure that the are making contact.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Reaction score
I would obtain a can of compressed air and can of Contact Cleaner.

Disassemble then give the contacts and sockets a blast of the air then sparingly a spray with the contact cleaner following the instructions on the can.

Give another blast of air to remove any excess liquid

Reassemble and test.

Reaction score
I would obtain a can of compressed air and can of Contact Cleaner.

Disassemble then give the contacts and sockets a blast of the air then sparingly a spray with the contact cleaner following the instructions on the can.

Give another blast of air to remove any excess liquid

Reassemble and test.
I have cleaned the contacts and I'm fairly certain that the keys have good contact, and since the bunch of keys that don't work are in a row I'm afraid that I might have damaged the connection of one of the wires that connect the keys to main board with a 15pin connector.

I should add that I didn't even touch that connector in the first place but honestly I just can't find any other reason

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It IS POSSIBLE to reinstall contact strips reversed on SOME boards.

They may or may not work properly or at all afterwards

They are also difficult to eyeball properly when reinstalling and can only be tested powered up.

In a nutshell, don't make assumptions that you got it right the first time.

Also: CONTACT CLEANER===BAD IDEA.

The contacts on a lot of membrane switches have a graphite coating. DO NOT use contact cleaner on these keyboard contacts. A bit of denatured alcohol with no abrasion is your best option. For bare metal contacts just use a pencil eraser and brush away the dust.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Please I really need help here. I just finished using my M-audio axiom 61 some hours ago. Wanted to work with it again now just to discover that key F and key B isn't working on all octaves, just the two keys alone and it's really giving me concern. Pls family, how can I get this issue resolved. I guess it's not an hardware fault

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You guess wrong grasshopper. What you are describing is a classic case of dirty connectors. Open it up and CAREFULLY remove the ribbon connectors and give them a squirt of contact cleaner. Then CAREFULLY reseat the connectors so as not to stagger or bend any pins.

If this fails to solve the problem then it is a soldering job. Consult a keyboard tech.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question