Arranger keyboards, mid priced?

Reaction score
Hello.

Might I please get some feedback, warnings, raves, or advice regarding which of the following keyboards I should look into getting?

Korg PA 300

YamahaPSR-s670

RolandBk-3

I’m a bassist and percussionist, with enough music theory to get by, no real intention of gigging extensively (but jamming often).

Obviously, these are all arranger keyboards and nearly the same price.

I have a 61 key Gator case that once protected my now defunct Roland V-synth (cost estimates of well over $600 to fix, and I want something more for songwriting anyway ) so 61 keys is kind of a default although a killer deal on an 88 key would outweigh this. I bought the V-synth as I was playing keyboard bass on half the songs in a band and have long enjoyed programming analog synths (since having and gigging on a Moog Prodigy back in the early 80’s); I doubt I want to spend the massive amounts of time now to tweak filters, etc J

The problem is that few stores have these keyboards in stock. I live 60 miles north of San Francisco, and even the biggest stores seem to have higher, and lower-end keys, but not much in this mid-priced, mid-level arranger range.

Most of the reviews I’ve been able to find either seem to have an agenda with pushing regard to a specific instrument or are quite out of date.

So if anyone would be so kind as to comment on the pros and cons of these, as well as other units I should perhaps consider. So far, my impressions have been pretty negative; I don’t seem to like Yamaha’s sounds in general, find Korg units counter-intuitive in their displays and am still pissed at Roland for making the V synth essentially impossible to repair.

My criteria, in order of importance, are:
-Ability to layer tracks, multi-track, and record external sources (none are perfect on all scores, from what I can read)
-Quantity and quality of sounds; both provided and the ability to edit and otherwise ‘tweak’.
-Visual display and the consistent logic of menu systems.
-Keyboard feel.

In addition, are there other units perhaps a bit less expensive that will meet most of these criteria?

Thank you in advance for your comments, advice, and expertise!
Dan

Reaction score
Welcome.

Is there any specific reason why you are considering an Arranger?

All the keyboards you quote are low end in the pecking order of Arrangers but all quite well for what they have to offer.

Unfortunately your experience with Yamahaha, Korg and Roland somewhat limit the available market.

I am a Korg guy and learning their systems is like learning Klingon, but and that but should really be a big BUT, in that once learned they are quick and easy to operate and to customise but it is a steep learning curve.

Yamahaha, well you hit the nail on the head compare their Arrangers side by side and they do not stack up against the respective Korgs, forget Roland theirs are not up to scratch for functions and use.

I would suggest upping your budget and consider a Korg PA700 which is one of my own keyboards. Look at the Korg Video Manual series of tutorials to get a feel about how they function and their features, there is one specifically on Recording.

As an alternative do look at the Korg Kross 2 ( which beats everything for size, portability and features ), another to consider is the Roland Juno DS 61. The video link is to the Korg Video Manual tutorial on Recording.

Going back to Arrangers do look at the Casio CT X5000 to see if it has the range of features you seek, its advantage is price and that it has a new sound engine in their AIX system.

Reaction score
Most of Biggles' post looks good to me, except that the Roland DS61 doesn't include a multitrack layerable sequencer. Though maybe you don't need that in your board, if you don't mind using your board with, say, an iPad to get that function,

Reaction score
Welcome.

Is there any specific reason why you are considering an Arranger?

All the keyboards you quote are low end in the pecking order of Arrangers but all quite well for what they have to offer.

Unfortunately your experience with Yamahaha, Korg and Roland somewhat limit the available market.

I am a Korg guy and learning their systems is like learning Klingon, but and that but should really be a big BUT, in that once learned they are quick and easy to operate and to customise but it is a steep learning curve.

Yamahaha, well you hit the nail on the head compare their Arrangers side by side and they do not stack up against the respective Korgs, forget Roland theirs are not up to scratch for functions and use.

I would suggest upping your budget and consider a Korg PA700 which is one of my own keyboards. Look at the Korg Video Manual series of tutorials to get a feel about how they function and their features, there is one specifically on Recording.

As an alternative do look at the Korg Kross 2 ( which beats everything for size, portability and features ), another to consider is the Roland Juno DS 61. The video link is to the Korg Video Manual tutorial on Recording.

Going back to Arrangers do look at the Casio CT X5000 to see if it has the range of features you seek, its advantage is price and that it has a new sound engine in their AIX system.

I looked at the CT X3000, which I presume is similar. I loathed it, could not figure out a damned thing.

The Korg PA700 seems to be sort of what I have in mind, now I just have to sell a few basses and other gear!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Do have a play of the Korg 700 if you can.

Bear in mind that Korg PA’s are set up with a flat Eq and that selecting one of the Eq presets in the Global menu vastly changes the sound quality.

Reaction score
Hello.

Might I please get some feedback, warnings, raves, or advice regarding which of the following keyboards I should look into getting?

Korg PA 300

YamahaPSR-s670

RolandBk-3

I’m a bassist and percussionist, with enough music theory to get by, no real intention of gigging extensively (but jamming often).

Obviously, these are all arranger keyboards and nearly the same price.

I have a 61 key Gator case that once protected my now defunct Roland V-synth (cost estimates of well over $600 to fix, and I want something more for songwriting anyway ) so 61 keys is kind of a default although a killer deal on an 88 key would outweigh this. I bought the V-synth as I was playing keyboard bass on half the songs in a band and have long enjoyed programming analog synths (since having and gigging on a Moog Prodigy back in the early 80’s); I doubt I want to spend the massive amounts of time now to tweak filters, etc J

The problem is that few stores have these keyboards in stock. I live 60 miles north of San Francisco, and even the biggest stores seem to have higher, and lower-end keys, but not much in this mid-priced, mid-level arranger range.

Most of the reviews I’ve been able to find either seem to have an agenda with pushing regard to a specific instrument or are quite out of date.

So if anyone would be so kind as to comment on the pros and cons of these, as well as other units I should perhaps consider. So far, my impressions have been pretty negative; I don’t seem to like Yamaha’s sounds in general, find Korg units counter-intuitive in their displays and am still pissed at Roland for making the V synth essentially impossible to repair.

My criteria, in order of importance, are:
-Ability to layer tracks, multi-track, and record external sources (none are perfect on all scores, from what I can read)
-Quantity and quality of sounds; both provided and the ability to edit and otherwise ‘tweak’.
-Visual display and the consistent logic of menu systems.
-Keyboard feel.

In addition, are there other units perhaps a bit less expensive that will meet most of these criteria?

Thank you in advance for your comments, advice, and expertise!
Dan
Have you looked at the Casio PX 560? (88keys) It runs around $1200 tho. But seems like it might have the features you're looking for.☺

Reaction score
Korg Havian 30, basically a PA300 with 88 keys hammer action. It’s on its way out but you should be able to find a good deal for it (Thomann still stocks it but that’s in Europe...).

Reaction score
Hi there Dan, I was told when you buy a keyboard whatever make you fancy is to buy the best one you can afford then you will not want to change it as often Jon.

Ask a Question