Need Roland E60 help saving UPG & external Styles

Reaction score
Need Roland E60 help saving UPG & External Styles....New to this KB can anyone guide me to save my Style Setup tempo,key, sounds, ots, etc to a blank User slot. Confused reading manual..
Also can you Save a External user style from the card to Internal? Can you turn off internal protection to save things?
Thank you for any advice

Reaction score
I'll answer your last question first. Yes you can turn off internal protection. If you're only going to make minor edits to an existing style, one-touch setting (OTS), or user program group it makes sense to do that.

From what I remember there is a large "button" or "tab" field near the top of the touch screen that allows you to select "Internal" or "External." I would recommend getting hold of a PCMCIA card or PCMCIA memory adapter, and make use of it. If you do a lot of writing or deleting to the internal memory, it could eventually suffer from file fragmentation and slow response.

Also, if you create a UPG that references a user style, and then you move, delete, or rename that style, you may get error messages or unpredictable results. All of this is why with the next generation (BK-series), Roland required all registrations (now called "performances") and user styles to be saved on the USB stick. The E-60 is flexible and more convenient, but tread with caution!

One more thing, I think you can access the contents of the internal memory by connecting a PC to the USB port. Before you start it might be a good idea to COPY and back up whatever is already there. The E-60 is a pretty good board, effectively a baby G-70. Good luck and have fun!!

Reaction score
Need Roland E60 help saving UPG & External Styles....New to this KB can anyone guide me to save my Style Setup tempo,key, sounds, ots, etc to a blank User slot. Confused reading manual..
Also can you Save a External user style from the card to Internal? Can you turn off internal protection to save things?
Thank you for any advice
Hi,

You can save a UPG in a UPS (User Programm Set, that contains up to 144 UPGs/User Programs). A UPG saves almost all settings you do. But not MIDI settings and if I remember correctly OTS is saved in a style. Press 'List' to enter the UPG page then press Write on the touch screen and choose a place where you want the UPG to be saved. Normally you should name your UPG to the song's name you are doing so that you can identify it.

It is also beneficial to use several different 'slots' on the UPG page for 1 song and name them thus:

MySong Int (intro)
MySong Ve1 (verse1)
MySong Ve2 (verse2)
MySong Ch (chorus)

This is just an example.

So that you could select different settings for the same song by selecting a different UPG by using a pedal.

The internal memory protection can be unlocked by setting a switch at the back of the keyboard to 'unlock'. You'll be needing a small cross screwdriver to remove a small cover covering this small switch. See diagram attached, shown in the owners manual.

You can copy a style to internal memory in different ways. By pressing the Disk&Media button on the left of the touch screen and then choosing copy style from external memory (Compact Flash) or floppy disk to internal memory. Or by using a computer and copying the style from computer to 'Put new styles here' on the external Compact Flash memory.

Should you need further help let me know, as I have an E-80 that is very similar to an E-60.

Good luck...

Attachments

• IMG_20240521_011717.jpg
    IMG_20240521_011717.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

You can save a UPG in a UPS (User Programm Set, that contains up to 144 UPGs/User Programs). A UPG saves almost all settings you do. But not MIDI settings and if I remember correctly OTS is saved in a style. Press 'List' to enter the UPG page then press Write on the touch screen and choose a place where you want the UPG to be saved. Normally you should name your UPG to the song's name you are doing so that you can identify it.

It is also beneficial to use several different 'slots' on the UPG page for 1 song and name them thus:

MySong Int (intro)
MySong Ve1 (verse1)
MySong Ve2 (verse2)
MySong Ch (chorus)

This is just an example.

So that you could select different settings for the same song by selecting a different UPG by using a pedal.

The internal memory protection can be unlocked by setting a switch at the back of the keyboard to 'unlock'. You'll be needing a small cross screwdriver to remove a small cover covering this small switch. See diagram attached, shown in the owners manual.

You can copy a style to internal memory in different ways. By pressing the Disk&Media button on the left of the touch screen and then choosing copy style from external memory (Compact Flash) or floppy disk to internal memory. Or by using a computer and copying the style from computer to 'Put new styles here' on the external Compact Flash memory.

Should you need further help let me know, as I have an E-80 that is very similar to an E-60.

Good luck...
What a wonderful helpful reply to my question will look into this further as per your instructions I so appreciate you..

Ask a Question