Arturia Microfreak -- opinions?

Reaction score
Already owning a Roland Gaia (out on its stand), and a MicroKorg XL+ (in a case in the closet), I'm thinking about buying a Microfreak. It would be a whole new departure (well, within the "virtual analog" world, anyway).

I'm interested in sound-building, and it has _lots_ of alternatives. The keyboard worries me somewhat, and I'll be trying it out in the local shop. But it's tiny, and adorable, and can save patches, and many people like it. It's also affordable, as such things go.

. . . Any opinions here?

Thanks --

. Charles

PS --- I've done a search, and it's rarely mentioned here.

Reaction score
Thanks! I suspect that the Minifreak is more complex than I need, or want.

I think I'll spend some time at Long & McQuade, seeing if 25 Buchla-clone keys is enough. They feel really different than any pivoted key, but might be OK after a few hours of practice. I really like the keyboard on the Roland Gaia. I can't imagine using it as a MIDI keyboard for a microfreak. . . . but I could hide the microfreak underneath it . . . <g> I'd lose aftertouch, that way, but the minifreak only has monophonic aftertouch -- tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Reaction score
GAS won out, a microfreak should arrive at the store tomorrow.

The many oscillators available, and the simplicity of the interface, is too seductive to resist.

. Charles

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't like to play Tarkus on one :)

Congrats. with a decent controller it should be a hoot. Does it have DIN MIDI ports?

Reaction score
It ships with adapters - DIN MIDI on one end, 3.5mm TRS plugs on the other end, to fit into the microfreak.

. Charles

Reaction score
[Written before reading the preceeding message]

As I think about this, my Roland Gaia has a very nice 37-note touch-sensitive, transposing keyboard (no aftertouch) -- and a DIN MIDI Out jack. It would do nicely as a controller for the microfreak. I wonder if the mod wheel / pitch bend would work over MIDI -- I'll have to test that.

The Gaia is reasonably light, and reasonably small.

I just looked at the microKorg XL+ -- it also has a touch-sensitive, transposing keyboard (mini-keys, but usable) and DIN MIDI Out. (I must check the "transpose" function -- it's in a "Utility" menu, and may not transpose the MIDI Out messages). The microKorg is lap-size, and feather-light.

So I can stop looking for a MIDI controller, I already have two.

[written after reading the preceding message]

I suspect you already figured that out.<g>

. Charles

Ask a Question