Beginner need your tips to get started with the arranger keyboard

Reaction score
Hello,

I played a lot of baroque music on the harpsichord and organ. Now I want to discover "modern" music like rock/pop/jazz etc. I recently bought a Yamaha SX700. I thought that the auto accompaniment feature would add some fun to my journey of music discovery.

How do I find the sheet music written specifically for arranger keyboard, which includes the registration and accompaniment information? Or is there no such sheet music and do I have to create it myself? Are there any textbooks or online courses for arranger keyboard? How did you get started with the keyboard?

Thanks

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hello,

I played a lot of baroque music on the harpsichord and organ. Now I want to discover "modern" music like rock/pop/jazz etc. I recently bought a Yamaha SX700. I thought that the auto accompaniment feature would add some fun to my journey of music discovery.

How do I find the sheet music written specifically for arranger keyboard, which includes the registration and accompaniment information? Or is there no such sheet music and do I have to create it myself? Are there any textbooks or online courses for arranger keyboard? How did you get started with the keyboard?

Thanks
I play Accompaniment (ACMP) all the time.
Let me suggest to you my thoughts.
Playing this method offers endless variations and with added styles and midis can enhance the end result to professional level. The sx700 is a beautiful instrument and will give you much pleasure.
To begin with, I would suggest keep it simple. Let the skills and special features develop as you are adapting this new style of playing.
To start with, there is no special sheet music for ACMP. Just use the traditional scores or the EZ play or fake sheets.
You will be playing the melody from the treble cleff as usual. The chords will be played with the left hand as per the sheet music.
When you start ACMP, the keyboard will split the keypad. Usually the split point will be F#2. This can be changed if needed.
To the right of split point the keyboard will play normal as you play your treble cleff. To the left of the split point, the keyboard will recognise chords rather than bass notes. For example If you play a chord triad, it will play that chord as according to the style of play you have selected.
You want to play Jazz, then find a style of jazz suited to the song you want play.
Heaps of styles to choose from.
Follow the guide lines in you manual for intros and fills etc..
Enjoy and if I or others here can help in any way, feel free to follow up.
Ask anything.
Cheers
Ray

Reaction score
Welcome.

What books that are available do tend to be “easy” versions, simple melody lines and a chord for the left hand, Kenneth Baker’s The Complete Keyboard Player Anthology is one such book created from prior published books.

Another oft term used is that of “Fake Book”, but that to me is not an apt term since as long as they help someone to play and develop musically they are providing a great service. Take a look at this site for more info and further links:-

What you will also find is that the Accompaniment Styles included are in fact based on a specific song. The title can give it away but there are people who have been working on listing the original source song for say, an accompaniment style which may be called “Bridge in Trouble” a search will bring these to light.

Reaction score
You just need books with the chords and melody part. Maybe things changed but when I was a kid you had to search yourself for a fitting style. Just have fun man, thats what it is all about.

Reaction score
Good advice Jim, but the OP posted just once back in December and never never came back to see our reponses.

I wonder if it would be better to prevent posting to general forums whilst there has not been a presentation message before. Some forums work that way. This could prevent at least some of that kind of messages which OP never reads and so people wanting to help see how their messages are just wasted time. Just an idea

Ask a Question