Best small amp for keyboards

Reaction score
Hello, I am getting up there in age, I use a Roland KC550 for my main stage amp. Its just gettin too darn heavy to load. I am looking at the Headrush 112. (35 lbs less ).
I only need 2 inputs and most of our shows are small to medium small club venue. I can always take the mic output to the PA to give me a little more head room. I tried a Headrush 108 and it sounds pretty darn good. What do you people think, Any suggestions? Thanks Scott

Reaction score
That Headrush 108 looks to be essentially the same as the Alto TS408, which I like. It's the least expensive thing I've tried that I thought did a nice job for all keys, including acoustic piano which is the toughest thing to get sounding good. If you have more budget, I like the comparably light EV ZXa1 which is a little more open on the high end, though it's really designed for a single line input and a single mic input which may not be the two inputs you need. Though putting a small mixer ahead of either of them helps a lot, since they expect hotter signals than most keys naturally provide. I also like the Bose L1 Pro 8, but it's quite a bit pricier.

Reaction score
just expanding on that a bit... the Bose won't go as loud as the EV, but it has exceptionally wide dispersion, and the convenience of a built-in mixer (EQ, reverb).

Reaction score
I think you need to look at the dispersion angle of the speakers. It is not about the brand, but what gives the best sound dispersion for your needs. Look at the specs first on all the suggestions. Even some of the manuals show this with pictures.

I use the Bose Line L1 16 pro in an indoor and outdoor situation at my house gig. The dispersion angle is 180 left to right. The dispersion does not shoot up to the ceiling indoors (less reflection), but sends out a a straight line from the top of the speaker tower. This will prevent hots spots of sound and keeps it even throughout the area. Great sound in a large outdoor situation too, keeping the sound at the customer area.

Reaction score
I used the Headrush 112 for about 1 year. Not quite as good as my EV but it will sound infinitely better than the KC550 and better than the 108 you tried.

Reaction score
Bose S1 Pro, pretty awesome considering the sound. A pair of those would still be lighter than most keybaord amps and provide plenty of power, you could also add a sub if you think you'd need it but I would try without first ... you may be surprised.

Reaction score
QSC K8.2 is probably all that you need. It is lighter than the 10 or 12 and plenty loud and clear. It also has a wider dispersal than the 10 or 12. I would opt for the smaller (the K8 or K8.2) unless I were performing for a large room, such as a concert hall. In this situation, I'd opt for going through a full PA regardless.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bose S1 Pro, pretty awesome considering the sound. A pair of those would still be lighter than most keybaord amps and provide plenty of power, you could also add a sub if you think you'd need it but I would try without first ... you may be surprised.
Yes and battery powered. Pro plus has the wireless dongle. I use a s1 pro as a remote sound and runs on battery for the entire gig.

Reaction score
QSC K8.2 is probably all that you need. It is lighter than the 10 or 12 and plenty loud and clear. It also has a wider dispersal than the 10 or 12. I would opt for the smaller (the K8 or K8.2) unless I were performing for a large room, such as a concert hall. In this situation, I'd opt for going through a full PA
A good option too.

Reaction score
Yes and battery powered. Pro plus has the wireless dongle. I use a s1 pro as a remote sound and runs on battery for the entire gig.
Interesting to hear your comments on the Bose S1. I'm also looking to downsize from 2 x Behringer B112W powered speakers I used for gigs to something just for home. Frankly, the Behringer set was pretty average but belted out the volume. Do you think the Bose S1 will handle the dynamic range of my Roland BK-9?

Reaction score
Interesting to hear your comments on the Bose S1. I'm also looking to downsize from 2 x Behringer B112W powered speakers I used for gigs to something just for home. Frankly, the Behringer set was pretty average but belted out the volume. Do you think the Bose S1 will handle the dynamic range of my Roland BK-9?
I use s1 as a satellite speaker plugged into line out of Bose l1 pro16. I perform in a large area weekly and can see the audience react to my music in the back…I used the s1 on a gig with my Roland accordion and it did a fine job for small gigs.
I would have no problem if my l1 16 would break down and use only the s1 to get by for the evening. But I need the L16 pro to play through with my pa3x, Roland fr4x and vocals. It is a real good feel to hear what is coming out of the speakers. And to me that is important.

Reaction score
Hello, I am getting up there in age, I use a Roland KC550 for my main stage amp. Its just gettin too darn heavy to load. I am looking at the Headrush 112. (35 lbs less ).
I only need 2 inputs and most of our shows are small to medium small club venue. I can always take the mic output to the PA to give me a little more head room. I tried a Headrush 108 and it sounds pretty darn good. What do you people think, Any suggestions? Thanks Scott
I understand you perfectly. I solved that problem with a powered speaker. There are many brands to choose from. I went with the QSC K12(K10 and K8 also available). It has 2 inputs, and many cool features and its with 1,000W Class D amp, is very light and very powerful and sounds great. You can use it stand up, wedge or with a tripod stand. Will never go back Keyboard amps, ever.

Reaction score
Also, take a look at Fishman's LoudBox series. I've played many a small to medium gig with their tiny LoudBox Mini and have since added a LoudBox Artist to my arsenal. Very light and surprisingly powerful.

Reaction score
I use s1 as a satellite speaker plugged into line out of Bose l1 pro16. I perform in a large area weekly and can see the audience react to my music in the back…I used the s1 on a gig with my Roland accordion and it did a fine job for small gigs.
I would have no problem if my l1 16 would break down and use only the s1 to get by for the evening. But I need the L16 pro to play through with my pa3x, Roland fr4x and vocals. It is a real good feel to hear what is coming out of the speakers. And to me that is important.
I'm concerned the Bose S1 may not handle the bass if I use it as the only keyboard speaker. I mostly use the automatic rhythm function on the Roland BK-9 and as such don't have direct control over the bass notes it plays. Do you think the keyboard is likely to select notes below what the Bose S1 can adequately handle. I've seen the Bose S1 used for guitar and vocal gigs (very impressed), but not for keyboard.

Ask a Question